Brexit: The fallout

10,949 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, hooperski said:

The mentality of Brexiteers. Probably be okay because he's obviously full of bullshit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGf-9lMXkAEMZlN?format=png&name=small

Eat grass, we used to dream of eating grass.

He's apparently a legend in his own living room.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Condell ("Patrick Condell (born 23 November 1949) is a British writer, polemicist, and former stand-up comedian.")

http://www.patcondell.net/about-me/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWOkEnBl5TO4SCLfSlosjgg

Would never have guessed that he supported UKIP policies and is againt Islam. Brexit seems to attract people that have an aversion to dark skin.

32 minutes ago, Keefy said:

Just wanted to add something (yeah, OK, my own opinion, Gawd help me ;)) to this debate. There's a lot of talk in the press about Brexit being an issue of English nationalism, bearing in mind that Scotland, N I and most of Welsh-speaking Wales voted Remain.

As some of you know, I worked until retirement as a tourist guide in Berlin, and before that I was a "Blue Badge" guide for England's West Country, i.e. Salisbury to Land's End, though 90% of my work was in the region of Bristol, Bath, Wells and Cheddar. Believe me, the amount of history I had to learn for these jobs was phenomenal! Just as well I enjoyed it.

Anyway, English Nationalism...or maybe English "Exceptionalism"...where the Hell do they think we come from. Outer space? Just look at a few maps. Why did Bristol develop as a port, along a twisty, muddy river with the second highest tidal range in the world? So that the Anglo-Saxons had a reasonably safe place for their ships as the Bristol Channel was a favourite hang-out for Viking pirates - look at the names of the islands in the approaches - Flat Holm, Steep Holm, Skokholm, Skomer. Blimey, Europeans defending themselves against other Europeans...and the Mint at Bristol produced coins to pay off the Danes and keep them out of Alfred the Great's territory. (the "Danegeld").

Then came the Normans (more Europeans)...but eventually they too adopted the English language as seen in Geoffrey Chaucer's works:. "Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote, The droghte of March hath perced to the roote"..and the Normans were great cathedral-builders, too.

What I'm saying is that England is a European country and not some special, privileged entity.It belongs in the European Union as much as anywhere else in Europe. That's why, for me, Brexit is like cutting off a limb.

Lastly, the Anglo-Saxons...ever been to or heard of Angeln, a part of Schleswig-Holstein? Gentle, grassy  rolling hills  fields surrounded by hedges..looks very "English" to me. And we still have an English region called "East Anglia" (as well as counties like Norfolk ("Nordvolk"), Suffolk ("Südvolk"), Sussex ("Süd Sachsen") Essex ("Ost Sachsen") and so on.

OK, rant over.

Great post, Keefy! Some years ago I was up at the North Sea on a seminar with Airbus engineers and the usual train ride back to Oldenburg, Bremen and then Hamburg didn´t work because of track work.

So the second train was diverted and the ride took me through a North German village called...England!!!

I used to enjoy teaching basic British history and the history of the English language to the engineers and would draw a rough map of Britain on the board before stopping and asking the question: " what do you all see when you look out the hotel window right now?"

Many would go to the window and say: " rain! "

And I would say: " gents, about 1600 years ago..in this VERY room - young men such as yourselves looked out the window, saw rain and asked themselves " oh, where can we go with no rain, beautiful women and great food ? " ".

I would then point at England on the board map and say: " gents, they all decided to go this place and decided to call it England. "

:rolleyes::P

Well there was once a life pre-European Community... we ate food, not just grass, when it was in season. Who wants those rock-hard tasteless strawberries in November anyway? Is Europe really working? (Just daring to ask...)

2 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

For anyone anywhere near Hamburg this Saturday 12th October, there will be an Anti Brexit Demo!!!

Useless - they need to demo in London!

I wish we´d demoed in Hamburg when London got rid of the popular British Consulate in Hamburg, HEM.

:angry:

Funny thing this is not project fear.  It is AL doing her but to explain how Brexit is going to cut so much red tape.  This one of the eleven explainer videos 

16 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

For anyone anywhere near Hamburg this Saturday 12th October, there will be an Anti Brexit Demo!!! 

Being organised by Chris Nicholls of English Pages based in Hamburg. 

http://www.englishpages.de/brexit.htm

Hoping that NDR and Hamburg Mayor are there. (they have been invited).  

I can't understand how those who are anti-Brexit can demonstrate against the will of the majority of voters. Sounds like middle class arrogance to me.

12 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

I can't understand how those who are anti-Brexit can demonstrate against the will of the majority of voters. Sounds like middle class arrogance to me.

It's called right to protest.

1 hour ago, Smaug said:

It's called right to protest.

Well, we all know that the right to protest ends when the Brexiters say it does.

22 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

What a strange comment.

One of the great things about western democracy is that minority views can, within limits, demonstrate and shout loud.

Are you suggesting that a better arrangement is that once a vote has taken place, everyone has to pretend they agree with the outcome? Why? Why would you want to live in such a system? 

Really weird.

1 hour ago, BMurphy said:

The latest poll of polls shows this to not be the case anymore. The will of the people has changed now that they see what Brexit means in practice and not as a slogan on the side of a bus. A simple referendum will show this but Brexiteers are petrified of another referendum, why??

1 hour ago, BMurphy said:

Yay he`s stopped using the will of the people terminology.

And I sincerely hope his post is dripping in sarcasm because no one seriously makes that dumb a statement in earnest.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

The latest poll of polls shows this to not be the case anymore. The will of the people has changed now that they see what Brexit means in practice and not as a slogan on the side of a bus. A simple referendum will show this but Brexiteers are petrified of another referendum, why??

I am not so convinced because it is not so much a rational decision but an established emotional position that people are unlikely to change.

Another referendum would most likely produce another "too close to call" outcome that would not resolve this contested issue. I think remain might win by 52% to 48%. However, this would not settle the matter. A problem in the first referendum was that potential remain voters could "not be bothered" (read: energised) to go to the polls. This, of course, will have changed in another referendum and might tip the balance.