Brexit: The fallout

12,225 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

But you're not allowed to say that leave voters are xenophobic even when the main leave campaign puts out "Kraut material" on its Twitter feed.

I think it is more complicated than that, murphaph!

Some leave voters in the UK have their family/ethnic backgrounds from outside the UK eg Asia, Caribbean." Putting our potential immigrants/family members from outside the EU first."

Some Remainers can be as racist as hell down the pub but have a financial interest in remaining.

Some wealthy eg Tories are for Remain and others for Brexit.

Basically, this is the most perplexing time I can remember in my life...too young for Suez!!

Mind you, I never expected the collapse of the Soviet Union.

John, a Pakistani who voted leave to keep Poles out in favour of Pakistanis is racist!

Ethnic minorities are perfectly capable of racism. 

I'll stick my neck out on this one and say that a very good chunk of leave voters voted that way because they are racist and or xenophobic.

I get your grip, murphaph!

Your second point is important - very true! And sometimes an issue on TT  ie only some kind of pot-bellied white Anglo-Saxon male is capable of racism. Thank you and it is true!

I might stick my neck out ( Devil´s advocate!! ) and say the jury is out on that!

On the other hand, who amongst us is not prejudiced in SOME way or another? I, for example, dislike dog haters!

:rolleyes:. They are bastards!!!

:P

44 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I'll stick my neck out on this one and say that a very good chunk of leave voters voted that way because they are racist and or xenophobic.

I totally agree with you on that one!

My Aunty cannot wait for Brexit to go through so that "all those bloody foreigners have to leave"!

I don`t think she realises that the whole country would collapse if all foreigners left - no care staff in hospitals or care homes, no dustbin men, etc

Curious to see her face when I tell her that I have become German! :D

@El Jeffo: The AfD is neither anti-Semitic nor does it dislike brown people. In fact, it has a Jewish group and has some dark-skinned people among its ranks. The reason I voted for them in the European elections - not that it's any of your business - was because they are against further European integration. Coming from Ireland, but currently living in Germany, I don't want to go along with mad Merkel's fantasies about there being such a thing as "European values" and other such nonsense. Instead, I want to see a community of nations enjoying good relations with one another while retaining full independence on all important matters.

Speaking of German politics though (AfD, Merkel, etc.), did you hear about the attempted terrorist attack in Limburg? Apparently, the culprit is a Syrian who arrived in Germany in 2015. And people wonder why some folk vote for the AfD!

10 hours ago, BMurphy said:

Wrong. I'm an Irish immigrant in Germany, I do not refer to myself as an "expat", I never said that the BNP got a "bad press" in the past, I have had an Irish passport since the age of 20 (as it's where I was born and raised - I'm not fake Irish like all the Brits currently misusing Ireland's generous citizenship rules just so they can benefit from FoM) and I am not eligible to vote for Johnson/Farage/Brexit Party in the next UK election as I'm not British.

It is true, however, that I benefit from FoM and that I voted AfD in the last European elections, which is something I make no apologies for.

Your man Trump thinks Ireland is still part of the UK. 

Brexit. Yeah, we'll see how that impacts Ireland.

AfD - yes, I guess they would welcome you with open arms. Are you on the Björn Höcke wing of the party?

51 minutes ago, murphaph said:

John, a Pakistani who voted leave to keep Poles out in favour of Pakistanis is racist!

They were scared by dog whistle politics by lying tabloids with stories like this about migrants.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1271200/more-than-100000-turks-a-year-will-flock-to-britain-after-it-joins-the-eu-pushing-net-migration-to-a-staggering-420000/

Once a headline like that has been read by a certain type, nothing will persuade then different.

The Leave campaign knew that, and played it perfectly.

I'm convinced that Johnson is aiming for no deal. He's going to be well remunerated for it I'm sure.

9 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I'm convinced that Johnson is aiming for no deal.

That is why the swivel eyed loon conservative membership voted him in as PM.

It is not just  the money - also the ego massage he is lloking for. Tosser.

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

Curious to see her face when I tell her that I have become German! :D

Remember to put on the appropriate accent: "My name has also gone on ze list"

(Stolen from a brilliant moment in Anglo-German comedy).

25 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I'm convinced that Johnson is aiming for no deal.

I would have thought thats been obvious!

1 hour ago, BMurphy said:

Speaking of German politics though (AfD, Merkel, etc.), did you hear about the attempted terrorist attack in Limburg? Apparently, the culprit is a Syrian who arrived in Germany in 2015. And people wonder why some folk vote for the AfD!

Because no German has committed a crime since then.

6 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

This tells you all you need to know about Leave.Uk.  Disgraceful. Actually xenophobia, but as we know, xenophobia is one short step from the slippery slope of racial abuse. 

It might even be worse.

Racists hate dark people from other countries,Xenophobes hate people black or white from every country.

7 hours ago, murphaph said:

That`s actually an excellent bit of propaganda by them.

It`s not aimed at the people who voted Brexit because they wanted out of the EU for some reasons,

it`s aimed at their core base who wanted Brexit because they hate foreigners.

Same as with Trump and some of his quotes,they aim it at their rabid supporters and don`t care about anyone else.

4 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Yup john, what a way to inspire European harmony...

Like they care about that.

I`m still convinced that many Brexit voters believe the UK is actually pulling out of Europe.

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

This.

3 hours ago, hooperski said:

They were scared by dog whistle politics by lying tabloids with stories like this about migrants.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1271200/more-than-100000-turks-a-year-will-flock-to-britain-after-it-joins-the-eu-pushing-net-migration-to-a-staggering-420000/

Once a headline like that has been read by a certain type, nothing will persuade then different.

The Leave campaign knew that, and played it perfectly.

Didn`t they state many times that Turkey was joining the EU.

11 hours ago, BMurphy said:

@El Jeffo: The AfD is neither anti-Semitic nor does it dislike brown people. In fact, it has a Jewish group and has some dark-skinned people among its ranks. The reason I voted for them in the European elections - not that it's any of your business - was because they are against further European integration.

So you want to be the last one through the door? It's the same as what was being discussed above you. The racism of Pakistani immigrants voting leave in order to keep the Poles out.

I don't want to go along with mad Merkel's fantasies about there being such a thing as "European values" and other such nonsense.

Says the Irishman living in Germany.

Instead, I want to see a community of nations enjoying good relations with one another while retaining full independence on all important matters.

In what way is that not happening now?

So if any Irishman commits a crime in Germany we should send you all home? The world is a wonderful but sometimes shitty place. Syria is in crisis, it's our duty as fellow human beings to help each other out. Building a wall around us and telling everyone else to fuck off is medieval thinking.

32 minutes ago, theGman said:

So if any Irishman commits a crime in Germany we should send you all home?

No, we shouldnt.  But by the same token whether or not some people who voted brexit are racist we shouldnt claim that they all are.  

I know plenty of people who voted leave.  It was almost always driven by a "back off brussels" way of thinking, not race or immigration.  Think bendy bananas, etc.

This constant assertion that its all about race isnt helpful.  There is way more to it and trying to boil it down to "you are all racists" is stupid and just moves the coversation yet further from addressing the real issues.

There have been several posts about a lack of controlling the message -- this is exactly why.  Leavers talk about issues (regardless of whether they are right or wrong), remainers talk about how leavers are all racists.