Brexit: The fallout

10,948 posts in this topic

@john g.: You've scored a bit of an own goal there I'm afraid, John, because in 1969, the UK wasn't in the EU and yet you were still able to study and work in Germany, in other words without freedom of movement. It is possible to have intra-European migration without absolute freedom of movement. 

@murphaph: The measures available to limit EU immigration are very limited indeed. (You don't even have to have a job before you arrive for crying out loud, something which, in these days of easy Internet access, shouldn't actually be that hard to arrange.) Do other countries implement such measures? Because migration from eastern Europe is also extremely high in Germany and Ireland, to name but two countries.

@Keleth: I didn't say anything about immigrants "taking our jobs". I was simply pointing out that absolute freedom of movement - as opposed to controlled, regulated immigration - is not necessarily such a good idea. This happens to be the view of a lot of Brits I know and, based on the Brexit vote, the view of the majority of Brits as a whole.

That's why it's so important to stonewall a second referendum, so the Brexiteers can continue to grasp at that aberration, when people were only asked if they want to leave, not if they wanted to crash out with no deal.

48 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Nice post John. I don't understand it either. The UK never bothered implementing the measures open to it to throttle immigration from the EU and it barely took any steps to do so for non-EU immigration which is and has always been entirely a UK matter. Don't blame the EU for the lack of immigration controls in the UK. It's just a excuse.

Clash of systems, I suppose. Like the German " Anmeldung " thing. I was horrified when I first arrived in Germany about 30 years ago and was told I had to register my address. I remember being in a pub called the Konsortium in Harburg and I had got to to know some German regulars there..all very friendly.

I moaned about having to go some Amt and I remember the landlord - Lupus! - lovely man with a beard and saxophonist - saying..yes, he said it: " no registration..so how do you control people?"

And he was a liberally minded person.

Here in Greece-no Anmeldung and I don´t even have a contract for the office I rent and from which I am writing now--not the Greek way--at least not in the villages!

Everything’s gonna be just fine. 

Sure. Just as long as you remember to have all those receipts with you when you travel.

C6961269-2F08-488F-9921-DE18EE0214C1.jpeg

8 hours ago, BMurphy said:

@Keleth: I didn't say anything about immigrants "taking our jobs". I was simply pointing out that absolute freedom of movement - as opposed to controlled, regulated immigration - is not necessarily such a good idea. This happens to be the view of a lot of Brits I know and, based on the Brexit vote, the view of the majority of Brits as a whole.

Not directly but heavily hinting at it.

This whole Brexit thing to the average Brexit voter is all about foreigners coming over.If they`re not worried about them taking jobs then basically all they`re saying in that regard is they don`t want foreigners living with them which is basically just racist.

No one actually knows if EU migrants are a strain or benefit to the UK economy because the difference either way is so minimal.

I`d like to do a survey of Brexit voters to find out what EU rule they disagree with that is an actual rule and not just some lie (Jonson and his kippers springs to mind here).

9 hours ago, BMurphy said:

This happens to be the view of a lot of Brits I know and, based on the Brexit vote, the view of the majority of Brits as a whole.

And once again the Brexiteers favourite lie writ large.

It`s the view of 17m Brits it is not the view of the majority of Brits,no one knows what the view of the majority of Brits is.The only way of finding that out is a 2nd referendum making voting mandatory.

9 hours ago, BMurphy said:

You don't even have to have a job before you arrive for crying out loud,

I`ll ask the more knowledgeable but do you have to get a job in a certain amount of time to stay here ?

7 hours ago, murphaph said:

I sit beside some sound Poles in work.

I work on a shift of 15 people and and 4 of them are Germans,the rest are foreigners but most of us are now German citizens and the other 2 shifts are of a similar make up.

There again I work in a manual job which I get the impression that most of the people on this forum don`t.

Just watching breakfast TV on BBC and they were looking at the Sunday front pages.

The Times has an article where Johnson will tell The Queen "Sack me if you dare".

What an arrogant wanker.

Obviously Johnson has never heard JFK's "Ask not what your country" speech.

4 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Just watching breakfast TV on BBC and they were looking at the Sunday front pages.

The Times has an article where Johnson will tell The Queen "Sack me if you dare".

What an arrogant wanker.

He needs to be careful, the Queen's loyal guard dog AKA Phil the Greek will get his people to do one final 'Job' before he goes. No one baits or threatens the Queen without having to deal with the wrath of Prince Philip. We still don't know really what happened to Diana and look at the way Sarah Ferguson was ostracized for many years

KELETH wrote

I`d like to do a survey of Brexit voters to find out what EU rule they disagree with that is an actual rule and not just some lie (Jonson and his kippers springs to mind here).

I have often asked the same question and I still have no real idea why. Immigration, jobs for Brits and taking back control come up.  But it should be much more than that! What do brexiteers want to take back control of? How would leaving the EU change their lives in a positive way? "Do it die"

For what?

Do you have a smaller version of that, Wulfrun? My ant farm residents are complaining that the font is way too big.

Unfortunately it was posted as an image, it is slightly sharper on FB, the link there is

It's from the Sunday Times

15 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

Unfortunately it was posted as an image, it is slightly sharper on FB, the link there is

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, john_b said:

Farage interviewed on Bulgarian TV. Enjoy.

My immediate thought was that the first word in your post rendered the last one impossible, but I really did enjoy that. Cheers!

Brexit is tearing this country apart so it's time for the adults to take over

There’s a palpable anxiety that’s leaving many of us feeling uncertain, like we’re walking on shaky ground, unsure of where we’ll end up.

Companies such as Jaguar Land Rover and Michelin have closed British plants. Some – like HSBC, Panasonic and Body Shop – have moved offices to Europe, taking their jobs with them.

We watch the goings-on in Parliament (since the long prorogue was proved unlawful) and listen to the inciteful language and revelations of death and rape threats.

We read claims about our philandering, braggart of a Prime Minister, see him bluff his way through questions about his private life when we want to hear details of how he’s going to stabilise our future. And we’re left to despair that we’re in those (allegedly) wandering hands.

Never in my adult life have I thought that civil unrest could sweep our stable, privileged country. Suddenly I wouldn’t be in the least surprised. I might even be tempted to join in.

From The Daily Record

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Do you have a smaller version of that, Wulfrun? My ant farm residents are complaining that the font is way too big.

If you view it as an image, then enlarge and sharpen it, it becomes quite legible :)