Brexit: The fallout

12,046 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

By the way BMurphy, are you not enjoying freedom of movement in Germany? Why would you be so happy to see it denied to young Brits?

You mean in the same way Patel wants all these restrictions on who can enter the country the same ones that her parents wouldn`t have got in on ?

17 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

He announced this to try and stop an injunction against him, because he has been advised that vocalising his gung ho attittude about not obeying the Benn Act would get him in trouble.  He is trying to find a way to wriggle round the Benn act without actually breaking the law.  

i sort of think he is trying to piss the EU off so much that they deny him an extension.

Just now, Keleth said:

i sort of think he is trying to piss the EU off so much that they deny him an extension.

Yep, so he can make out it is all the EUs fault.  I suspect the EU can see through that.  

El Jeffo

The EU will not talk the UK about expat rights. They say it's all covered in the WA, so just sign the deal. However, it seems some progress has been achieved with cover in Spain and France and yet to be tested here in Germany. Short-term though.

46 minutes ago, Keleth said:

You mean in the same way Patel wants all these restrictions on who can enter the country the same ones that her parents wouldn`t have got in on ?

It is one reason quite a few British Asians (for lack of a better word ) voted for Brexit. So their " fellow countrymen/women " would maybe find it easier to get a UK residence permit.

Others are maybe more British than the British...

just do it then;)

Spiegel online

Let's Make a DealEurope Can No Longer Afford the Brexit Insanity

Despite everything, it is time for the European Union to reach a deal with the United Kingdom on Brexit. Compromise is the only way out of this mess.

8 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

Boris Johnson will seek a Brexit extension from the EU if no withdrawal deal is reached by 19 October, government documents say.

The revelation in a Scottish court appears to be a direct contradiction of what the prime minister has said in public, insisting there would be no further delay and that the UK would leave the bloc on 31 October, with or without an agreement.

https://news.sky.com/story/pm-will-seek-brexit-extension-if-no-deal-agreed-by-19-october-11827149

ok, but Nr 10 is saying

they will obey the law, but the UK will leave on the 31st October!

which means 

1) The Government does have a plan  to obey the law and does have a legal way around it, to cause the UK leave

2) The UK is just telling the whole world we are leaving, in an attempt to get a better deal out of the EU - but in reality - the UK has nothing ie no way to get around the law - if so Johnson is going to look like a jurk on the 1st of November.

I tend to think its option 2, but maybe Johnson does indeed have a way around the law.

Either way this judge in Scotland has not really clarified anything

The Judge wants Boris to sign a letter saying he will comply with the law. Explained here.

@murphaph: Yes I am taking advantage of freedom of movement here in Germany. However, that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to criticise the system. I think it's deeply flawed and there isn't another region in the world that has it. I read once that the African Union was considering something similar but most of the member states wouldn't hear of it. I'd have no problem applying for a visa or work permit to stay in Germany if that was necessary. And if I didn't get it, then tough luck, I'd go back home. That's why I can't understand all the whinging by Brits living in Europe over Brexit. They have several options open to them: apply for citizenship of the country they're living in (assuming they've been there long enough), apply for a visa, work permit or residence permit for that country, or go back to the UK. 

@snowingagain: Because it allows for unlimited migration between EU countries, despite the fact that these countries have vastly different wage levels, languages, cultures, etc. Just like everything else in life, immigration should always be subject to restrictions. In any event, what I think is largely irrelevant. Ask Brexit voters what they think of freedom of movement and you'll understand why many of them voted the way they did.

1 hour ago, BMurphy said:

@snowingagain: Because it allows for unlimited migration between EU countries, despite the fact that these countries have vastly different wage levels, languages, cultures, etc. Just like everything else in life, immigration should always be subject to restrictions. In any event, what I think is largely irrelevant. Ask Brexit voters what they think of freedom of movement and you'll understand why many of them voted the way they did.

The "They`re taking our jobs argument" as usual.

I am old enough to remember the " good/bad " old days, - at a time when it was fun to get stamps in your passport and go abroad for the first time. I remember the first time I left England for a whole summer - paid for by the Tory (yes, Tory! ) Council in my home town to go anywhere in Europe for up to 6 weeks. Only condition: to write a report about it when you returned to school.

I chose a 3 week German language course at Bonn University in the summer of 1969. 

I was just turning 17 and doing German A Level at school. All those doing German and/or French A Level were offered that! After the language course, i visited penfriends in Stuttgart and  Kassel.

At 18, I finished school and applied for a job in a factory in Bonn after seeing an ad in the Daily Express..I became  a Gastarbeiter for a year!:P

I developed a taste for living in other people´s countries!:D

What am I on about?  Well, you start young and you change from being monocultural to more open-minded. At least in my case as my home town was nearly 100 per cent " white Sarfenders and ex- Cockneys ". One Jewish kid in my class. At some stage, an Indian kid joined our school.

The youngsters growing up now have none nothing but the freedom to travel and study/work in the EU. How can they possibly want to be cut off from all those chances?

I despair.

PS: I didn´t write the report for the school! Can´t remember why not!:D

Nice post John. I don't understand it either. The UK never bothered implementing the measures open to it to throttle immigration from the EU and it barely took any steps to do so for non-EU immigration which is and has always been entirely a UK matter. Don't blame the EU for the lack of immigration controls in the UK. It's just a excuse.

2 hours ago, BMurphy said:

I think Brexit voters and Remain voters are not necessarily THAT different in  their thinking. Some Brexit voters will genuinely be worried about their futures in what MIGHT become a huge political bureaucracy with hundreds of thousands of well-paid bureaucrats. Some Remainers will think the same but be sceptical of the political bureaucracy with hundreds of thousands of well-paid bureaucrats.

Some Remain voters may be racist to some extent in their daily lives but PROFIT from being part of the EU.

Some Brexit voters are from ethnical minorities and worried about the influx of competition from EU citizens and want their families over from eg India, Pakistan and think it will be easier without the competition.

Some Remainers don´t necessarily like the EU bureacracy but better-the-devil-you know than a no deal Brexit.

Some others are annoyed at the general globalisation of the world and lose their jobs because their company has decided it´s cheaper to close down and reopen in a cheaper part of Europe or outside Europe.

These are genuine fears for many...whichever camp you´re in..and then you start to think or not about the moral limits of capitalism.

Ha! A few weeks ago, I had a haircut..but not at my normal place. They were busy so I ended up at a lady hairdresser´s. Nicole came along a few minutes later (after a visit to a shoe shop! ):rolleyes::rolleyes:

The lady , a Greek , said to Nicole: " ah, you are from Germany. I have a Greek friend there who loves it. She says it is perfect. I would like to live there. "

Nicole: " yes, it is much cleaner etc and everything works. But you have to pay tax. "

Lady hairdresser: " oh... "

:D

Is that a Brexit or Remainer argument?

:D:D