Brexit: The fallout

11,526 posts in this topic

"proper Labour was for the working class, Labour today has NOTHING to do with helping people who graft every day"

 

Exactly. Just like social democratic parties across the Western world, the British Labour party has become the part of university educated "liberals" and ethnic minorities. The traditional white working class are increasingly voting right-wing - and being vilified for doing so.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BMurphy said:

"proper Labour was for the working class, Labour today has NOTHING to do with helping people who graft every day"

 

Exactly. Just like social democratic parties across the Western world, the British Labour party has become the part of university educated "liberals" and ethnic minorities. The traditional white working class are increasingly voting right-wing - and being vilified for doing so.

correct and That BMurthy is why Brexit happened,and these Dems are so thick they still don't realise it

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brexit, Trump, AfD: it's the same story everywhere. I find it rather shocking how people are being villified nowadays for daring to vote differently. I may be Irish but I'm sympathetic to the Brexit cause and wish you guys luck with it. If it all works out okay, we might even follow your lead sometime, although I can't see that happening anytime soon.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supreme Court

 

Lady Hale explores remedy. This court has already concluded the Prime Minister’s advice to HM was unlawful, void and of no effect. So Order in Council was also unlawful, void and of no effect and should be quashed.

 

Parliament has NOT BEEN PROROGUED. This is the unanimous judgment of all 11 justices. It is for Parliament, esp Speaker and Lord Speaker, to decide what to do next.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and Bercow has just told all the MPs (in the commons) that they have to get back to work again. I wonder if any of them are on a Thomas Cook holiday?

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

Brexit, Trump, AfD: it's the same story everywhere. I find it rather shocking how people are being villified nowadays for daring to vote differently. I may be Irish but I'm sympathetic to the Brexit cause and wish you guys luck with it. If it all works out okay, we might even follow your lead sometime, although I can't see that happening anytime soon.

It's not about vilifying people, it's about looking at the facts, at your personal circumstances and deciding what is best for you as a person. Whilst the older generation in Britain hanker for the Empire again and many in poor areas believe it is the fault of the EU they don't have a job or good prospects or there are too many immigrants, the well educated, the young, many business leaders and people like us that live outside the UK generally believe the EU is good for the UK and us in particular. As for Trump and the AFD, they both appeal to a subconscious instinct about protecting yourself and yours from outsiders and a fear of loss of control that people never really had anyway.l It's about people having all the facts before voting.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, French bean said:

It's about people having all the facts before voting.

 

It's also about keeping foreign authoritarian governments from interfering in actual democracies through the use of propaganda campaigns that prey on the less educated and less discerning. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

 

It's also about keeping foreign authoritarian governments from interfering in actual democracies through the use of propaganda campaigns that prey on the less educated and less discerning. 

What you mean like UKIP have and the Brexit party do? What about how the US government has tried to use its power and wealth in the past to influence governments in poorer countries. Or how about China offering fantastic deals to African Nations for their own gain. Oh and I almost forgot about Russia and the constant accusations of meddling in Brexit and the US presidential Election.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, French bean said:

What about how the US government has tried to use its power and wealth in the past to influence governments in poorer countries.

 

We can have an intellectual discussion about whether the US government is authoritarian, but I don't think you'd like how that ends.

 

11 minutes ago, French bean said:

China offering fantastic deals to African Nations for their own gain.

 

Yes.

 

11 minutes ago, French bean said:

Russia and the constant accusations of meddling in Brexit and the US presidential Election

 

These are not accusations. They have been confirmed by both governments. Why are you promoting the idea that the facts are not facts? What's in that for you?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dstanners said:

...and Bercow has just told all the MPs (in the commons) that they have to get back to work again. I wonder if any of them are on a Thomas Cook holiday?

Funniest post of the day?

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brexiteers, "We want to be governed by British laws"

Lady Hale, "You got it".

Brexiteers, "No that one".

 

Unlawful, void and of no effect.  Just about sums up Johnson doesn't it.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49810261

 

 

At least one big relief in the Brexit saga: the rule of law in the UK is alive & kicking. Parliaments should never be silenced in a real democracy.
I never want to hear Boris Johnson or any other Brexiteer say again that the European Union is undemocratic.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, French bean said:

 

@French bean: You seem to be suggesting that everyone who voted for Brexit, Trump or the AfD was misinformed and that the rest knew exactly what they were voting for. I don't think this is the case at all. People who voted for Brexit, Trump or the AfD had good reasons for doing so. Regarding the issue of immigration, the facts here speak for themselves (e.g. almost one million Poles moving to the UK since 2004, over 11 million illegal immigrants in the US and Germany admitting nearly a million refugees in 2015) so maybe it's the people who vote for the establishment parties are the ones who are misinformed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

maybe it's the people who vote for the establishment parties are the ones who are misinformed.

As the great Wayne Campbell said, "And maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt".

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now