Brexit: The fallout

11,689 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

extension.jpg.59feba5ff2a9c041f6d1f327a4   

One possible way to spin this: "126 European Members of Parliament want the UK to eff off once and for all."

Well 73 of them are the British ones.

So British MPs are voting for the EU to refuse a request by the UK? It makes me wonder if they are just doing it out of spite, or if they don't know which side they are supposed to be on, or if they are just mad.

10 hours ago, Chris Marston said:

Wow. That's evidence-based in the best meaning of the word. Thanks for posting! How did you come across it?

I think I spend rather too long reading articles online trying to make sense of Brexit, it was recommended by someone I subscribe to on Twitter 

21 hours ago, john g. said:

Keleth..does any one under the age of about 100 go to Africa and call the " natives " Boy? Serious question!

Probably not but many of them seem to think it`s still colonial days so would probably like to.

21 hours ago, john g. said:

And doesn´t Bwana translate roughly as Sir/Madam, a polite way to talk to guests just like monsieur/madame, senor/senora etc? Again, a genuine question. I have never travelled around Africa.

According to wiktionary it`s from Swahili and means Master although it is not always used in a polite way.

Thomas Cook is now bankrupt.  But of course, Brexit had nothing to do with it.

Thomas Cook had secure some Chinese investment but they needed around 200m to continue operating, which they requested to the UK government but BoJo refused to bail them out.

The UK government has started a repatriation program for the 150k stranded passengers.   I wonder how much will it cost that repatriation program and the lost of 20k+ jobs, 9k of those jobs in the UK.  Probably more than 200m. 

And what happen with the one million bookings from future holidaymakers?

In the meantime, Condor, which belongs to Thomas Cook is still flying but they have ask the German government for some money to save them.  Let's see how that goes.

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Thomas Cook had secure some Chinese investment but they needed around 200m to continue operating, which they requested to the UK government but BoJo refused to bail them out.

The UK government has started a repatriation program for the 150k stranded passengers.   I wonder how much will it cost that repatriation program and the lost of 20k+ jobs, 9k of those jobs in the UK.  Probably more than 200m. 

And what happen with the one million bookings from future holidaymakers?

In the meantime, Condor, which belongs to Thomas Cook is still flying but they have ask the German government for some money to save them.  Let's see how that goes.

The repatriation won't cost the UK government a penny.  This is paid for via the ATOL & ABTA insurance schemes which is designed exactly for this sort of case.

People on holiday will be returned as close to their return date as possible.  Hotels will still get paid.

People who have not yet travelled are eligible for a full refund.

This is also being discussed here:

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/382460-air-berlin-and-now-germania/?page=4#comment-3774856

11 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I blame it on all these tourists who book their own holidays.

So does Simon Calder (a UK travel expert often wheeled for such occasions)!

Speaking to BBC News from Manchester airport, travel expert Simon Calder said Thomas Cook "wasn't ready for the 21st Century".

"Now everybody can pretend they are a travel agent. They've got access to all the airline seats, hotel beds, car rentals in the world and they can put things together themselves.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49791249

8 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

The repatriation won't cost the UK government a penny.  This is paid for via the ATOL & ABTA insurance schemes which is designed exactly for this sort of case.

But the government are also repatriating people not covered by ATOL, who booked flights only and would normally have to pay their own way.

"For flights back to the UK, it doesn’t matter whether customers are ATOL protected or not, or what their nationality is. Everyone on a Thomas Cook holiday with a return flight to the UK within the 2 weeks will be brought home.  Under normal circumstances, passengers who are not ATOL protected would be asked to find, and pay for, their own way home. However, given the extent of the disruption the government is stepping in to assist impacted passengers and get people home."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-and-uk-caa-launches-largest-repatriation-in-peacetime-history-after-collapse-of-thomas-cook

1 minute ago, snowingagain said:

But the government are also repatriating people not covered by ATOL, who booked flights only and would normally have to pay their own way.

"For flights back to the UK, it doesn’t matter whether customers are ATOL protected or not, or what their nationality is. Everyone on a Thomas Cook holiday with a return flight to the UK within the 2 weeks will be brought home.  Under normal circumstances, passengers who are not ATOL protected would be asked to find, and pay for, their own way home. However, given the extent of the disruption the government is stepping in to assist impacted passengers and get people home."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-and-uk-caa-launches-largest-repatriation-in-peacetime-history-after-collapse-of-thomas-cook

Ok, I missed that.

But then I assume that this is very few people as most are covered by ABTA/ATOL, and therefore won't cost much more and is actually something nice done by the UK government for once!

3 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But then I assume that this is very few people as most are covered by ABTA/ATOL, and therefore won't cost much more and is actually something nice done by the UK government for once!

I don't think it is pocket money.  The UK costs of Monarch's repatriation program was 60m.   However, the numbers are confusing, I am not sure if that's the whole cost or the UK government share.   It is difficult to find information right now with everything related to TC coming first in every search.

17 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Funnily enough, it was actually the large number of flights only people affected that brought this decision about.  Will post link when I find it again.   

3 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Funnily enough, it was actually the large number of flights only people affected that brought this decision about.  Will post link when I find it again.   

Interesting.

Actually, it seems that in some cases flights only might also be covered:

The scheme also applies to some flight only bookings - usually those where you book flights (including UK domestic flights) but do not receive your tickets immediately. This is most common with charter flights, but can also apply to discounted scheduled flights or where you pay for flights in installments. Please note that ATOL does not apply to flights booked directly with scheduled airlines or to flights booked with airline ticket agents.

https://www.caa.co.uk/ATOL-protection/Consumers/About-ATOL/

On 9/21/2019, 8:10:06, john g. said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-49783841/labour-conference-tom-watson-says-there-s-been-a-bad-start

It pains me to say it, Keleth, but with an opposition such as the Labour Party..despair time if you are a non-Tory.

Seriously after the Cameron and May and now Jonson years Labour should be so far ahead that a landslide victory wouldn`t describe what they should achieve.

But they`re not.

The reason is there is a bunch of useless fuckers in charge.I have never actually known such a useless politician as Corbyn,many nasty ones,many idiots but actually useless as Corbyn has never been seen before.Jonson is a c**t leading a party full of c**ts but as a politician he knows exactly what he wants and how to go about getting it.Corbyn hasn`t got a fucking clue.

Labour have at last decided what their stance on Brexit is but they haven`t really decided rather they`re going to let other people decide unless other people decide what Labour don`t want then they`ll let some other people decide ad infinitum.

I said earlier if I could vote I`d probably vote Lib-Dem which I never thought I`d do in my life but what you gonna do.

Sadly I think Brexit Party will do really well in a GE because the people who believe in Brexit will get off their arses and vote for them whereas non Brexiteers will end up not knowing who to vote for so will not bother voting which is basically what caused Brexit in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Corbyn hasn`t got a fucking clue.

Corbyn is old labour from the pre Blair era.  More scargill than kinnock but still he is proper labour.

11 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Corbyn is old labour from the pre Blair era.  More scargill than kinnock but still he is proper labour.

proper Labour was for the working class, Labour today has NOTHING to do with helping people who graft every day they are more concerned about people who have never paid a penny into the system