Brexit: The fallout

10,789 posts in this topic

Andrea Leadsom has been critical of him. I wonder if she's angling for his job. Wouldn't be surprised if she considers herself highly qualified, having already been Leader of the House and, of course, a mother. Can you imagine her in that role?!

The Conservatives will field a candidate against Commons Speaker John Bercow at the next general election, Andrea Leadsom has said.

The Business Secretary revealed the move, a breach of long-standing convention, as she stepped up her feud with Mr Bercow, accusing him of breaking the rules of Parliament by allowing MPs to take control of Commons business.

In a stinging attack, Ms Leadsom said Mr Bercow had “failed” in his role and had permitted a “flagrant abuse” of parliamentary process.

She said the Conservative Party would field a candidate in Mr Bercow’s constituency of Buckingham at the next election as a result.
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-09-08/tories-to-stand-against-speaker-john-bercow-at-next-election-leadsom-says/

Bercow's reason was simple. He promised his family he would not stand again and he is timing his departure so as to ensure this anti no deal parliament gets to choose his successor.

Brexit: MPs order Boris Johnson to hand over government communications about parliament suspension and no-deal planning

Boris Johnson's government has suffered another humiliating Commons defeat, as MPs ordered the release of internal communications between the prime minister's top advisers over the decision to suspend parliament.

The emergency motion - passed by 311 to 302 votes  - means the government will also be forced to publish its no-deal planning documents under Operation Yellowhammer.

Put forward by the ex-Tory MP Dominic Grieve, the motion orders ministers to surrender the documents by Wednesday and includes the private communications of Mr Johnson's chief-of-staff, Dominic Cummings.

It demands “all correspondence, whether formal or informal in both written and electronic form” relating to the prorogation sent by officials since the day before Mr Johnson’s arrival in office on 24 July.

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/france-to-insist-on-a-two-year-extension-to-allow-brexit-re-evaluation/?fbclid=IwAR3I8-y1_MC-DpWi9Qw__TWmCoTJ4zyY5jAL5jO9ipvhzxOreon1bxppLQY

Interesting news coming from France.

France will demand that any extension to the Brexit deadline should be at least two years to allow the UK to “re-evaluate” its departure from the European Union, a senior En Marche MP has said.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I like this one!

70711437_1415465248605732_24697871292872

A good one, indeed. It reminds me of climate change skeptics. "If the world is getting hotter and hotter, why is it so cold this morning?"

4 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/france-to-insist-on-a-two-year-extension-to-allow-brexit-re-evaluation/?fbclid=IwAR3I8-y1_MC-DpWi9Qw__TWmCoTJ4zyY5jAL5jO9ipvhzxOreon1bxppLQY

France will demand that any extension to the Brexit deadline should be at least two years to allow the UK to “re-evaluate” its departure from the European Union, a senior En Marche MP has said.

Interesting given that France pushed for a shorter extension the last time round. Does it mean that they don't fear anymore that the UK would "sabotage" the EU institutions?

23 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Surely this would just play into "The Johnson's" hands.  I believe a lot more MPs would find this time period too long and therefore be more willing to back him.

Oh no wait.  This is what is meant with "a friendly EU country veto" as mentioned yesterday.  I assumed they meant Malta or Cyprus, not France!

12 minutes ago, dom said:

As british politics sits fairly snuggly in the sewer, the events of the last days seem to have given some hope to the ami's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqWasYaIxlI

It is interesting that even scummy Tories rebelled against Jonson whereas 99% of Republicans go along with anything Trump does.

Hopefully that means politics in the UK isn`t quite as corrupt and depraved as they are in the Us....yet

40 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I hate to say it but the French seem to be talking sense.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

It is interesting that even scummy Tories rebelled against Jonson whereas 99% of Republicans go along with anything Trump does.

Hopefully that means politics in the UK isn`t quite as corrupt and depraved as they are in the Us...yet

The real problem is that both US and UK have first-past-the-post electoral systems. So either the resulting left and right dominating parties are broad churches or they're extremist. Let's see if BoJo turns the tory party into the KKK (like Trump has done with the republican party) or not!