Brexit: The fallout

10,890 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Careful, Wulfrun - you're gonna trigger balticus

Oh Dear! How Sad! Never mind...

Anyone else think that Johnson holding that speech in front of a phalanx of police officers was designed to make him look like a "strongman"? I thought it smacked of the kind of thing a dictator would do.

The chief constable of West Yorkshire Police and the Police Federation have criticised him for giving a political speech with their officers as a backdrop, which was apparently sprung on them.

Police chief says force was not told about Boris Johnson speech plan

Lords agree to push through bill preventing no-deal Brexit by end of Friday

The House of Lords has agreed to progress a backbench bill seeking to block a no-deal Brexit, as Boris Johnson prepared to make a speech calling again for Labour to allow a general election.

At about 1.30am on Thursday, following hours of debate, peers were told that the cross-party bill, tabled by Labour’s Hilary Benn, would be returned to the lower house by 5pm on Friday, ruling out the prospect of fresh attempts at a filibuster.

It could then be voted on again by MPs on Monday and presented for royal assent, the Lords heard. Peers are due to debate the Benn bill itself and amendments on Thursday.

The bill had already been passed by the Commons with the assistance of rebel Tories, after they helped to seize control of the parliamentary agenda to rush the measure through. Johnson responded to the backbench efforts on Wednesday by seeking a snap election under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act. However, opposition parties abstained or opposed the vote, denying the PM the necessary two-thirds majority – and meaning he has lost every Commons vote so far.

5 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But it is interesting to hear that they will actually go against their traditions and beliefs and vote Tory.  Of course this is what Johnson wants and needs in order to get a majority.

I honestly cannot think of anything that would make me vote Tory.

I certainly wouldn`t vote Labour at the moment either which saddens me,I`d probably either wipe my arse with the ballot or go Lib Dems.

5 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

It is just that he is a bit extreme for the "centre" and hence a lot of people feel it is unlikely that they would vote for him without which he cannot become PM.

Don`t forget the Antisemitism he is allowing to run riot in his party.

Brexiteer  "No to a peoples referendum because you cant keep voting until you get the result you want"

Same Brexiteer next day after they can`t get No Deal through Parliament."We demand a GE so we can have another vote on the same thing"

The logic knots many Brexiteers tie themselves in is unreal.

They complain about Parliament not allowing no deal yet this is the very parliament the say they`re giving power back to by leaving the EU.What they really mean is they want to give the power back as long as they vote the way we want them too.

A lot of them appear to be too thick to realise that they're being taken for a ride by the BoJo's and Farage's of the land who are only interested in making more money at the expense of everyone else. Take back control? The country never really lost control, just the unscrupulous wealthy ran the risk of losing control of their money grabbing schemes.

I just hope the UK is still a member when the anti tax avoidance directive takes effect...

Maybe it'll encourage the greedy ne'er-do-wells to fuck off and stop interfering with the government...

I am gobsmacked. So you don`t get an election, what do you do, take to social media to goad the opposition.

This is from the official twitter feed of the conservative party.

With the caption.

Hey KFC_UKL we’ve found an even bigger chicken than you.

EDxo1uiWwAAzZNZ.jpg:large

So childish. They probably think that if insults work for Trump, they'll work for them too.

Law to stop no-deal Brexit passed by Parliament

Boris Johnson’s Brexit plans suffered a further blow as a bill to block a no-deal outcome on Halloween completed its passage through parliament.

The legislation, tabled by senior Labour backbencher Hilary Benn after MPs seized control of the Commons agenda, is now due to become law by going to the Queen for royal assent on Monday.

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I am gobsmacked. So you don`t get an election, what do you do, take to social media to goad the opposition.

This is from the official twitter feed of the conservative party.

With the caption.

Hey KFC_UKL we’ve found an even bigger chicken than you.

EDxo1uiWwAAzZNZ.jpg:large

Don't see how someone who won't do what the bullies want can be called a Chicken. Shows a state of panic amongst the Tories.

The only spineless chicken I remember from recent times is Boris's mate - Dave the invertebrate Cameron.

6 minutes ago, French bean said:

Don't see how someone who won't do what the bullies want can be called a Chicken. Shows a state of panic amongst the Tories.

The only spineless chicken I remember from recent times is Boris's mate - Dave the invertebrate Cameron.

Regardless of what you think of Corbyn, what he is doing is fairly impressive.

The first leader of the opposition who somehow has managed to keep the Prime minister as a prisoner inside number 10.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

The Conservative Party have become the Brexit Party.

More like the laughable party.

Clair Perry, Mike Fallon, Nick Hurd have all resigned (not fighting their seats at the next election)

More will follow. Its one huge mess.

I think this is all very clever and showing the world how all countries can get rid of politicians!  Copy the Brits,  citizens of the world!!!

:P:P