Brexit: The fallout

10,754 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, French bean said:

As I think Murphaph keeps saying - Follow the money.

Indeed. I was also unaware of Dominic Cummings' connections to Russia. He actually lived there for 3 years after University! Hidden in plain sight this whole time.

When/if a GE happens anyone who votes Tory because of Brexit who has never voted Tory before needs fucking ending.

This party(not the EU) put the working class through absolute hell for the last 10 years so if you vote for them you deserve every bad thing that ever happens to you.

34 minutes ago, Keleth said:

When/if a GE happens anyone who votes Tory because of Brexit who has never voted Tory before needs fucking ending.

This party(not the EU) put the working class through absolute hell for the last 10 years so if you vote for them you deserve every bad thing that ever happens to you.

What do you mean the last 10 years? They have always treated working class people as a resource to be used and thrown away. They have always worked against any legislation that helped working class people have dignity and respect in the workplace and that's before we get to Thatcher who made many thousands unemployed, decimated whole communities and turned proud working class people into poor pimps and over did the trade union legislation. Then came Dave the Comedian who then reversed legislation with regard to employment and oversaw the rise in `'Self employed status and 0 hour contracts. A colleague once said to me a Tory businessman isn't happy unless there are hundreds at the factory gate waiting for someone to be sacked so they might get work.

1 hour ago, French bean said:

What do you mean the last 10 years? They have always treated working class people as a resource to be used and thrown away. They have always worked against any legislation that helped working class people have dignity and respect in the workplace and that's before we get to Thatcher who made many thousands unemployed, decimated whole communities and turned proud working class people into poor pimps and over did the trade union legislation. Then came Dave the Comedian who then reversed legislation with regard to employment and oversaw the rise in `'Self employed status and 0 hour contracts. A colleague once said to me a Tory businessman isn't happy unless there are hundreds at the factory gate waiting for someone to be sacked so they might get work.

Because the last 10 years is what is in peoples consciousness

Most of them probably don`t remember so far back as Tory Lite (Blair).

Any body atually know what happens if Bojo refusese to goto Brussels and sign up ??

He has Broken the law then 

What will happen to Boris

prison ?

somebody else has to go on his behalf ?

We just leave the EU without a deal. nothing actually happens to Boris ??

Please only stuff that you actually know, maybe with a link

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Please only stuff that you actually know, maybe with a link

Nobody knows what will happen, how can they, this situation has never happened before. There are no links, only guesses.

fine, I can find no  information about this on the internet, I have searched

But there again, I watched the Andrew Marr show last Sunday, they had some constitutional experts on, who detailed how the law could be in acted and out into law - I was just wondering if anybody had heard 

What could happen to Boros if he ignores the New BREXIT law

Flatly refusing to ask for the extension could be incredibly risky for Brexiteers. The courts could order the government to revoke A50 altogether at 11.59pm on the 31st if no extension has been sought contrary to law.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Flatly refusing to ask for the extension could be incredibly risky for Brexiteers. The courts could order the government to revoke A50 altogether at 11.59pm on the 31st if no extension has been sought contrary to law.

There have also been some legal people saying that it can retrospectively happen too (especially with a new Government).

From the Guardian:-

In what appeared to be a pre-emptive strike against expected proposals from Boris Johnson that Ireland align itself to the UK to avoid disruption, Varadkar said:

"Whatever happens, Ireland will not be dragged out of the single European market."

I think I said something about this many pages ago - basically someone I know in the UK went to one of the hustings, and this suggestion was being muted back then as the solution, so this idea is definitely not new!

Presumably if Johnson does suggest this, he does it knowing full well that Ireland (or indeed any of the other EU countries) could never agree to such - so it would simply be a case of him playing to the gallery, like a less overtly confrontational Trump...

11 hours ago, yesterday said:

Any body atually know what happens if Bojo refusese to goto Brussels and sign up ??

What if he conveniently sprains his hand so he can´t sign any letter asking for extension? Once upon a time a German president (I think it was Lübke) faked a broken arm in order not to shake hands with some African dictator. Maybe Boris will get some inspiration.

Now Boris is saying "he would rather be dead in a ditch than ask for an extension", so I guess we are going to find out what happens to a PM that dis obeys the law. I guess he knows and thinks the consequence is almost nothing or Boris is really stupid, because if the court orders him to sign or prison he is going to look an idiot.

Witch one is it ....

36 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Now Boris is saying "he would rather be dead in a ditch than ask for an extension",...

I concur!

36 minutes ago, yesterday said:

so I guess we are going to find out what happens to a PM that dis obeys the law...

So far his bark has been bigger than his bite! 

I believe that he thinks no matter what happens, it will take so long to sort out that it will be past the deadline and hence the UK will have left, so he will still have achieved his goal.

So it will indeed be interesting.

I watched the BBC news last night when the interviewed some people (in Crewe) and many were saying "I've voted labour all my life...", "my family has voted labour for generations..." but they will vote Tory for the first time because they want to leave the EU.  And some which are against, said they would not vote labour because of Corbyn!

12 hours ago, yesterday said:

What will happen to Boris

prison ?

Parliament is holding him as a prisoner inside number 10 anyway.

6 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I watched the BBC news last night when the interviewed some people (in Crewe) and many were saying "I've voted labour all my life...", "my family has voted labour for generations..." but they will vote Tory for the first time because they want to leave the EU.  And some which are against, said they would not vote labour because of Corbyn!

Why is this a surprise to anyone? 

We have known since 2016 that it was the working classes that voted out (surely you remember the middle class sneering about how university towns voted remain whilst the uneducated peasants voted out?).  I know there was an age element too, but we cannot deny that the stereotypical working man in the north voted out.

And Corbyn is monumentally unpopular, except in the tory party where he is considered something of an insurance policy.  To the extent that it was widely reported (not sure if true) that it was tories joining labour to vote for him that got him the top job.  

27 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

So far his bark has been bigger than his bite! 

I believe that he thinks no matter what happens, it will take so long to sort out that it will be past the deadline and hence the UK will have left, so he will still have achieved his goal.

So it will indeed be interesting.

The law stopping no deal was very well written and offers the PM very little room for manoeuvre (he can`t run down the clock). If there is no deal he has to ask for an extension by 19th October. If he refuses to do this Parliament can replace the PM and ask someone else to go to Brussels to ask for the extension. The law does not take No deal of the table but it does takes no deal of the table on  the 31st October.

However if BoJo wins an election in October he can repel the law in one day which is why he is desperate for 15th October election.