Brexit: The fallout

10,295 posts in this topic

Talk of the EU declaring the Brexit fallout for Ireland on a par with a natural disaster so certain solidarity funds can be unlocked to assist Ireland.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So looks like an election is coming... Labour can really appear to be putting country before party if they put getting no deal legislation above getting an election

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Lab really want to put country before party the solution is fairly straightforward:

Refuse to vote for an election (Labour would be wiped out anyway if the Tories and BXP form a pact IMO)

VonC -> bring down Johnson govt

Ask Ken Clarke to form national unity government

Queen will be predisposed to sacking Johnson and appointing a "proper" Tory (even if he has been kicked out of the party) as her PM assuming Clarke can command majority support in the house.

 

Sole purpose of this government would be to ask for an extension with the intention of holding a second referendum with clearly defined actual options on the ballot paper, either:

 

-no deal

-revoke

 

-OR possibly-

 

-no deal

-deal (WA)

-revoke

 

(for the latter you'd need to use STV to fairly register peoples' intentions)

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, murphaph said:

If Lab really want to put country before party the solution is fairly straightforward:

Refuse to vote for an election (Labour would be wiped out anyway if the Tories and BXP form a pact IMO)

VonC -> bring down Johnson govt

Ask Ken Clarke to form national unity government

Queen will be predisposed to sacking Johnson and appointing a "proper" Tory (even if he has been kicked out of the party) as her PM assuming Clarke can command majority support in the house.

 

Sole purpose of this government would be to ask for an extension with the intention of holding a second referendum with clearly defined actual options on the ballot paper, either:

 

-no deal

-revoke

 

-OR possibly-

 

-no deal

-deal (WA)

-revoke

 

(for the latter you'd need to use STV to fairly register peoples' intentions)

 

Why would you do all that?

 

As far as I am aware todays motion is amendable.

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Who would amend it and what would they amend it with?

 

17 Labour MPs are going to try to amend the bill today it to bring back Theresa Mays deal. 

 

Anyone (might need a minimum number of MPs) could also amend it to make a second referendum the default rather than No deal (would also go to vote).

 

Any bill put forward to the house can be amended and would be the easiest way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the UK leaves the EU on the 31st unless HMG asks for an extension and it is granted! Time is of the essence. Sure the house could pass a bill for a second referendum or accept the WA as it stands etc. but they cannot compel the government to do x or y. The only real power the HoC has over the government is the ability to vote no confidence in it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, murphaph said:

But the UK leaves the EU on the 31st unless HMG asks for an extension and it is granted! Time is of the essence. Sure the house could pass a bill for a second referendum or accept the WA as it stands etc. but they cannot compel the government to do x or y. The only real power the HoC has over the government is the ability to vote no confidence in it.

 

The house could and should, but won`t mainly due to Corbyn wanting to be PM.

 

The house can compel the Government to do x, y and z and if the Government refuses we then have a dictatorship.

 

The Government has a majority of -43 (Yes, minus 43), it is not even a Government.

 

The opposition has a majority of plus 5.

 

Who is in power?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

 

The house could and should, but won`t mainly due to Corbyn wanting to be PM.

 

The house can compel the Government to do x, y and z and if the Government refuses we then have a dictatorship.

 

The Government has a majority of -43 (Yes, minus 43), it is not even a Government.

 

The opposition has a majority of plus 5.

 

Who is in power?

 

Boris is, until a vote of no confidence is called and he loses or resigns

 

Opposition is not a united lot, they would not agree on enough to form a new government

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, yesterday said:

 

Boris is, until a vote of no confidence is called and he loses or resigns

 

Opposition is not a united lot, they would not agree on enough to form a new government

 

I asked who was in power not in Government. 

 

I am amazed that you really believe that Boris is still in power.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

Brexit: Judge rejects parliament shutdown legal challenge

 

Quote

A Scottish judge has rejected a bid to have Boris Johnson's plan to shut down parliament ahead of Brexit declared illegal.

...

But Lord Doherty ruled on Wednesday that the issue was for politicians and voters to judge, and not the courts.

He said there had been no contravention of the law by the UK government...

 

 

 

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49568760

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brexit: PM in new battle after Commons vote defeat

 

Quote

The Commons voted 328 to 301 to take control of the agenda, allowing them to bring a bill requesting a Brexit delay.

 

The PM is to call for a general election if he is forced to request an extension to the 31 October deadline.

 

MPs will now vote on the Brexit delay bill. If it passes, the vote on whether to hold an election will follow.

 

But unless two thirds of MPs back the move for an election it cannot be called - which looks unlikely, given Labour's opposition.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2019, 3:47:13, Feierabend said:

The first page is all you need for information. Followed by several pages of  bickering  

 

Toytown: "The first page is all you need for information. Followed by several pages of  bickering"

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol: That does seem to sum up a lot of threads here, including even the one on whether the Internet has made people nastier.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now