Brexit: The fallout

10,916 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

The Germans are currently passing the laws to make an exception, so all Brits that were living here before Brexit will receive a permit, so it won't be a plain non-EU permit process.   Some will receive a permanent permit some a limited one.

Do you know how this works?

At the moment it is only a draft law. Is there an actual time scale when it becomes law.

Or could it remain a draft law until well after Brexit.

If there is No Deal, there will be an initial three months of transition time which can be extended by another six months if things are not ready.

This thread is up to date:

The first page is all you need for information. Followed by several pages of  bickering  

4 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

This thread is up to date:

The first page is all you need for information. Followed by several pages of  bickering  

Its a draft law which means it is not law, so nothing really to see.

5 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Then wait until there is a law.

31 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I think it is quite relevant to you and should inform yourself. It's a draft law because there's no point in passing it if it's not going to be needed (if there's a deal). It makes sense for legislators to have it written and debated, and just "sitting there" in case it's needed.

4 minutes ago, Smaug said:

I think it is quite relevant to you and should inform yourself. It's a draft law because there's no point in passing it if it's not going to be needed (if there's a deal). It makes sense for legislators to have it written and debated, and just "sitting there" in case it's needed.

Doesn`t it take 6 weeks to get through the Bundesrat?

13 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Doesn`t it take 6 weeks to get through the Bundesrat?

6 weeks < 3 months < 9 months

On 29/08/2019, 13:15:55, El Jeffo said:

who, as we all know, is an Estonian female who just happens to have detailed knowledge of many U.S. governors, senators, and House members - and even some state senate representatives

Hey I'm sure there is nothing wrong with Estonian females! :P

Anyone else watch BoJo`s speech just now?

Looks like Tuesday and Wednesday is building up to be one great battle.

The Tory rebels were actually going to give him 30 days until he suspended Parliament.

Can anyone tell me why they are saying Boris has suspended parliament and that democracy is in danger? There is a Commons recess every summer pretty much from the end of July to the beginning of September. The Lords traditionally get an even longer stretch. I am finding it difficult to spot what is different this year and why Boris is getting the credit for standard procedure. I guess it is selling a lot of papers, getting Boris into the spotlight - like he needs it - and disseminating lots of panic. To what end?

2 hours ago, HEM said:

One vegetarian dish would be Ratatouille...

(I'll get my rat-skin coat).

chocolate mous(s)e as a dessert?

19 minutes ago, optimista said:

Can anyone tell me why they are saying Boris has suspended parliament and that democracy is in danger? There is a Commons recess every summer pretty much from the end of July to the beginning of September. The Lords traditionally get an even longer stretch. I am finding it difficult to spot what is different this year and why Boris is getting the credit for standard procedure. I guess it is selling a lot of papers, getting Boris into the spotlight - like he needs it - and disseminating lots of panic. To what end?

Usually a chunk of that recess is used for party conferences which they were willing to forgo to debate Brexit.

Now for the serious stuff...

Are you really stupid or do you think others are really stupid that you think they believe Boris in this incidence is doing this just to follow tradition ?

If you are then I`ve got a bridge to sell you.

It`s kind of like London burning and the govt turning round and saying "yep firefighters take your usual annual holiday right now"

16 minutes ago, optimista said:

yes its normal for the MP's to have a summer holiday ( summer recess) but thats different to progueing

Pragoeing Parliament is normally done to finish one parliament session and start a new one, this is done to anncoe new legislation from the current government. During the progue parliment is suspened, it normally lasts about 4 days.

Boris has produed parliament for about 3 weeks which is very long, most people think it was made so long to limit what parliament can do to stop a no-deal BREXIT. 

That's why people are unhappy about it.

Normally parilent will sit from the being of september on wards, Boris has limited this time