Brexit: The fallout

10,753 posts in this topic

On 26/08/2019, 18:47:33, El Jeffo said:

Yeah, but blue passports. BLUE PASSPORTS!

(Made in France)

But sub-contracted to Poland :lol:

News from this morning, all over the UK press is that Johnson is going to suspend Parliament.

What an attack on democracy.

Or an attempt to fulfill the democratic vote of the people and then later endorsed by parliament .

Which ever opium you choose, depends of your starting view

I lean to  "attack on democracy", but ...

5 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Or an attempt to fulfill the democratic vote of the people and then later endorsed by parliament .

No deal was never an option during the referendum, now it is the only option.

In itself, asking Betty for a break is standard fare for a new government. The issue will be the length of the break. Typically it would only be a week or two for conference season. Clearly the markets have decided that he's going to ask for 5-6 weeks, which would really limit Parliament's ability to vote on any potential deal or take steps to stop one. It has also meant that the GBP I was going to transfer to Euros today has diminished in value. B@lls.

I was over in the UK again last week, and there really is an air of fatalism. Even staunch remainers seem to be accepting that the UK is leaving, that it will be cr@p, but there is no-one brave/sensible enough to take any proper steps to stop it. 

The politicians prefer to sit back and have someone to blame after things have gone wrong, rather than risk an unpopular stance today which could limit the damage from occurring in the first place.

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

News from this morning, all over the UK press is that Johnson is going to suspend Parliament.

What an attack on democracy.

Especially as less than half those legible to vote voted for Brexit. Dave the inept invertebrate Cameron strikes again and his pal Boris is going to finish the job. I wonder whether Elisabeth will be first Monarch since Victoria to veto the government

The Queen has now been brought into it all. Whether she agrees or disagrees with the date of her speech it has implications politically. I'd say there are some choice words being used about Cummings and Johnson right now in Balmoral!

23 minutes ago, French bean said:

Especially as less than half those legible to vote voted for Brexit. Dave the inept invertebrate Cameroon strikes again and his pal Boris is going to finish the job. I wonder whether Elisabeth will be first Monarch since Victoria to veto the government

I think all eyes are now on Bercow and Standing Order 24 next week.

17 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The Queen has now been brought into it all

No. The Privy Council make the call.

"Government asks Queen to suspend Parliament"

BBC

The government has asked the Queen to suspend Parliament just days after MPs return to work in September - and only a few weeks before the Brexit deadline. 

Boris Johnson said a Queen's Speech would take place after the suspension, on 14 October, to outline his "very exciting agenda".

But it means MPs are unlikely to have time to pass laws to stop a no-deal Brexit on 31 October. 

House of Commons Speaker John Bercow said it was a "constitutional outrage".

The speaker, who does not traditionally comment on political announcements, added: "However it is dressed up, it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of [suspending Parliament] now would be to stop [MPs] debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country."

Senior Tory backbencher Dominic Grieve called the move "an outrageous act" and warned it could lead to a vote of no confidence in Mr Johnson, adding: "This government will come down." 

Fucking Twunt.

Edit: Meaning Johnson

Not being religious, I don't pray. Nor do I believe in miracles, but sometimes I wish that what I want will come true. If that's a "prayer", than so be it.

So, here goes.

Dear God, Jehovah, Allah, Buddha, Shiva, the Sky Fairy (and not forgetting the famous Sufi mystic, Omar Gawd),

May a sense of realism and the National Good enable those in the British Parliament to get their act together and stop Boris's Brexit. Better still - revoke Article 50.

Amen

From another forum I read:

"It is kinda funny though. An unelected PM goes to an unelected head of state, to suspend the elected Parliament."

To be honest without mass street protests you can sign as many online petitions as you like. They really won't change anything. I think most remainders are resigned to leaving.

Now over 12,000 comments under the BBC article. That must be the most I've ever seen under one of their articles. There seem to be plenty of people applauding this move by Boris-Cummings.

36 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

There seem to be plenty of people applauding this move by Boris-Cummings.

I wonder how many of them are Russian bots.