Brexit: The fallout

10,769 posts in this topic

No legislation in the UK Parliament can prevent no-deal (believing that it can is just further example of the Westminster bubble mentality) so those opposing crashing out really need to consider moving toward getting the WA brought back before Parliament and this time actually voting for it.

It is somewhat ironic that many of the ERGers eventually voted for an orderly exit on the basis of the WA yet none of those campaigning so fervantly to avoid no-deal ever did.

The EU is unlikely to grant any more time extensions without either the UK asking for one in order to hold a general election (Johnson won't make such request as he has staked his whole ascension to PM on leaving on 31 October come what may) or for a second referendum (a majority of MPs will simply not vote for this).

I see no real benefit in the EU (aside from winning preparatory time for a future no-deal date) in giving the UK another extension just for some vague talks about the backstop. The backstop is the only solution to the UK government being unwilling to create a border down the Irish Sea.

Just now, sinfony said:

.. to the UK government being unwilling to create a border down the Irish Sea.

are you sure? really really sure? 

4 minutes ago, sinfony said:

No legislation in the UK Parliament can prevent no-deal (believing that it can is just further example of the Westminster bubble mentality) so those opposing crashing out really need to consider moving toward getting the WA brought back before Parliament and this time actually voting for it.

So your saying we should get rid of Parliament as we no longer need it?

9 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

The world will continue to turn and we will all get over ourselves. 

Fully agree on this. 

If the EU faces a serious downturn, the Brexiteers will look like visionaries. 

26 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Yes, but does that mean you would accept your pension halved and being forced to downsize from a 4 bd detached to a 30 sq.m flat, with a laugh and shrug of the shoulders? 

21 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Yes, but does that mean you would accept your pension halved and being forced to downsize from a 4 bd detached to a 30 sq.m flat, with a laugh and shrug of the shoulders? 

Did you pay into the German system?

27 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

We are all being forced to downsize. 

Brits have already downsized. Sterling has lost 25% of its value since the referendum. Everyone in the UK is much poorer already.

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Brits have already downsized. Sterling has lost 25% of its value since the referendum. Everyone in the UK is much poorer already.

Yeah, but blue passports. BLUE PASSPORTS!

(Made in France)

1 minute ago, El Jeffo said:

Yeah, but blue passports. BLUE PASSPORTS!

(Made in France)

Talking about downsizing and El Micro makes an appearance.

26 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I heard a rumour that j2 had to make his butler Mellors, redundant.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Did you pay into the German system?

2 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

No, I'm relying on 30 plus years of payments into the UK system. 

Im just not prepared to sit back and take all Johnson and Co are up to on the chin. 

We are witnessing one of the great cons from history, orchestrated by people prepared to lie thro their teeth to get their way. 

1 hour ago, alexunterwegs said:

I have no expections of my pension contributions and retirement will only be on the grounds of terminal ill health or disability.  

I cannot afford to run and heat a 4 bedroom house, even if one was in my possession.

I have already laughed and shrugged thank you.

10 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

I have no expections of my pension contributions and retirement will only be on the grounds of terminal ill health or disability.  

I cannot afford to run and heat a 4 bedroom house, even if one was in my possession.

I have already laughed and shrugged thank you.

I dare say you have isolated yourself from the situation in the UK, and good luck, but there are thousands of people and businesses who face being totally screwed, thro no fault of their own.

I could accept it a bit easier if it was done in a fair and honest manner, but not in the way this bunch of scoundrels are proceeding. 

What sticks in the throat is the way we were told citizens rights were the priority.  I'm afraid it looks like just the opposite.  

56 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

I dare say you have isolated yourself from the situation in the UK.

I have mentally isolated myself from the global situation if that helps. 

I go out to work to  pay your pension. Generation snowflake as they are uncharitably called are not in a position to put a roof over their heads nevermind pay my pension. The worlds largest pyramid scheme is about to come crashing down.

Brexit is a symptom of this rather than a cause.

In other news, this is not the news, why not? We would rather distract ourselves with petty squabbles and crude agendas. 

One must cut ones cloth differently. 

Indeed. The Commission can do "small trade deals" on behalf of the member states but a comprehensive FTA requires unanimous support of all the member states. In some cases (as happened with Belgium and CETA) even regional assemblies must give their assent, so it's more than just 28 institutions.