Brexit: The fallout

10,901 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

But how does one tell? Will they wear a badge or something to distnguish themselves from other UK nationals?

How about military uniform or as murphaph suggested the Metropolitan Police, their uniform will have a different force badge on it compared to the PSNI. Military people often give themselves away out of uniform with haircut and posture. Ex forces personnel can often spot another ex forces person.

4 minutes ago, French bean said:

How about military uniform or as murphaph suggested the Metropolitan Police, their uniform will have a different force badge on it compared to the PSNI. Military people often give themselves away out of uniform with haircut and posture. Ex forces personnel can often spot another ex forces person.

Does the metropolitan police only recruit the English? Or will the Scottish members of the Metropolitan police all have red hair and blue tattoed faces? The Welsh members will all be carrying leeks not truncheons? :blink:

59 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Does the metropolitan police only recruit the English? Or will the Scottish members of the Metropolitan police all have red hair and blue tattoed faces? The Welsh members will all be carrying leeks not truncheons? :blink:

Plus there are quite a few ethnic minorities in the Metropolitan police..how will they be considered " nationality-wise " in Ireland?

The IRA never cared what the individual nationality or religion of their victims were. The IRA after all killed more Catholics than any other group.

I don´t know if it is true, murphaph, but I seem to remember reading somewhere the IRA never targetted Scottish cities as they did English ones because Scotland was seen as an " occupied country."

The IRA will not be hung up on the ethnic background of someone. Because they are in Ireland wearing the uniform representing the UK government will be enough for them to kill. I wonder how many Catholic Scottish soldiers were killed during the troubles for wearing the Queens uniform.

Is the backstop / open border discussion being driven by the possibility of terrorism from the IRA?    

It sounds like the IRA is still a threat 20 years after the GFA.    

1 minute ago, balticus said:

Is the backstop / open border discussion being driven by the possibility of terrorism from the IRA?    

It sounds like the IRA is still a threat 20 years after the GFA.    

It never stopped being a threat. Just because the press aren't reporting everything doesn't mean the beatings, the Knee cappings and the intimidation has stopped.

1 hour ago, French bean said:

The IRA will not be hung up on the ethnic background of someone. Because they are in Ireland wearing the uniform representing the UK government will be enough for them to kill. I wonder how many Catholic Scottish soldiers were killed during the troubles for wearing the Queens uniform.

Then we agree that @murphaph should not be so casual about such things when formulating his positions. 

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Plus there are quite a few ethnic minorities in the Metropolitan police..how will they be considered " nationality-wise " in Ireland?

Life has moved on, the Ireland question not so much. 

Tough situation. 

Correct John, the IRA never targeted Scottish cities but they certainly killed plenty of Scots in British Army uniforms. 

I don't quite know what Kommentarlos' problem is with my posts. I said years ago in this thread that it would come down to Ireland and at the time my (to most Irish people, fairly obvious) claim was dismissed by many yet here we are and it's all about the backstop.

The troubles are over but there are still enough of a hard core of dissidents around which a revitalised IRA could form. Apparently even at the height of the troubles there were only around a thousand members and they wreaked havoc. NI is not like anywhere else in the UK. If we're honest it's pretty different to the Republic too. Symbols and stuff that are totally inconsequential to the rest of us can cause huge problems there.

It's a delicate balance and posting hundreds of police officers from GB (especially the Met) would be highly provocative to a dissident republican who already sees the PSNI as a legitimate target. These guys are pretty unhinged.

The Ireland question was actually slowly "moving on". Then (some) English voters (even in Wales it was carried by English people who moved over) threw a massive Brexit shaped spanner in the works.

5 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I don't quite know what Kommentarlos' problem is with my posts.

I think that they can be at times sloppy with their sourcing and incendiary in their tone. I also think they can be at times very informed and helpful and better balanced. 

Happy to repeat. 

I'm certainly not trying to be incendiary. Could you give me an example of something you feel is so?

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

I'm certainly not trying to be incendiary. Could you give me an example of something you feel is so?

Being incendiary about a situation that is highly likely to be incendiary so what`s the problem.

I don`t think Kommentarlos realises how bad putting a physical border up could get.

They`ve moved on since the GFA but it`s not all pixie dust and unicorns though and bringing a border back will reignite a lot of the problems,whether it will be a return to the bad old days of the troubles no one knows as maybe they`ve got used to a fragile peace and don`t want to go bak to it.

Funny though how Brexiteers don`t seem to give a fuck about it though isn`t it

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

The Ireland question was actually slowly "moving on". Then (some) English voters (even in Wales it was carried by English people who moved over) threw a massive Brexit shaped spanner in the works.

I doubt many English, Welsh or Scottish people gave any thoughts to Ireland when they voted on Brexit--whether Remainers or Leavers. Sadly.

23 minutes ago, john g. said:

I doubt many English, Welsh or Scottish people gave any thoughts to Ireland when they voted on Brexit--whether Remainers or Leavers. Sadly.

Maybe I'm one of the few that did and still do care. See my post earlier on in this thread about going through Belfast at the time of the "Troubles". I was so glad about the Good Friday Agreement - I wandered around NI thereafter: the Antrim Glens, Bushmills distillery, even visited Stroke City (Derry/Londonderry) and witnessed the Apprentice Boys' March - got talking to a Royal Ulster Constabulary guy armed with a sub-machine gun on Derry's city walls - "My God", he said, Things have changed for the better and I hope they continue so." Wherever I stayed (Belfast, Carrickfergus, Portrush), the story was the same.

Boris, Shitti Patel, Raab and the whole sick No-Deal Brexit crew should hang their heads in shame.