Brexit: The fallout

10,771 posts in this topic

Nigel is happy now he's got his passport. (Thought it was going to be blue.) And it's only going to cost £40bn a year.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECZNe6tWsAE4hDb.jpg

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

What pressure will he be under? 

I doubt he'll feel any pressure because he's the sort of twat that lives in his own bubble and doesn't care about anyone else.

Trouble is now

The EU will not re negotiate...

The Withdrawal agreement has been rejected 3 times by Parliament, and is un likely to pass now under any circumstance.

Boris is now left with the choices

- leave without a deal

- Cancel Brexit

- Go for extension

- Go for another ref, unlikely

- Go for GE, unlikely

- Hope, Parliament will take the decision out of his hands :)

All of which will up-set one group or another ... in an extreme way

Not sure, I would like to be in the position to choose ....

22 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Not sure, I would like to be in the position to choose ...

Careful of those commas now

17 hours ago, hooperski said:

Nigel is happy now he's got his passport. (Thought it was going to be blue.) And it's only going to cost £40bn a year.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECZNe6tWsAE4hDb.jpg

I wonder if he scratches out "Europäische Union" from his children's passports.

I think he has to go for a GE and probably before B-day. Elections are held on Thursdays in the UK. If he waits until after Brexit he would have to wait a whole week as the 1st is the Friday and that would be exactly the time the fresh food starts vanishing from the shelves if not everything else as people start to panic buy when they see the fruit and veg section empty out. I think he will indeed agree a pact with Farage so BXP only field candidates in Labour leave constituencies. BXP can do tremendous damage (easily 50 seats) to Tory vote, even if they themselves don't get a single MP returned.

5 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I think he has to go for a GE and probably before B-day. Elections are held on Thursdays in the UK. If he waits until after Brexit he would have to wait a whole week as the 1st is the Friday a

It is custom only, BoJo can chose Friday if he wants.

This is interesting. In April this year IDS claimed...

Former Conservative leader, Iain Duncan Smith, has proposed an alternative Brexit solution that he feels the EU would “definitely” accept. 

"There is a way out and it is the government going to the EU to ask and demand now that we thrash out the alternative arrangements to the backstop that exist" 

I wonder if he informed Boris of his 'Eureka moment' before he set off to 'charm' the EU.

Another wrexiteer who doesn't have a clue.

I'll be amazed if there isn't a GE in the next few weeks given the polling data as of today:

Johnson is definitely able to sell his bullshit much better than May and Corbyn is pathetic in every respect so he will fancy his chances at getting an overall majority (probably healthy one, given Cameron achieved a majority on 37% of the popular vote. Way to go FPTP by the way).

I'd probably welcome it to be honest at this stage. He can throw the DUP under the bus and draw a customs border down the Irish sea and GB can exit the EU and do as it pleases.

5 hours ago, Smaug said:

I wonder if he scratches out "Europäische Union" from his children's passports.

Would that be off the German passports of his children from his former German wife? Bet they are really embarrassed when they go back to Germany.

17 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I'll be amazed if there isn't a GE in the next few weeks given the polling data as of today:

Johnson is definitely able to sell his bullshit much better than May and Corbyn is pathetic in every respect so he will fancy his chances at getting an overall majority (probably healthy one, given Cameron achieved a majority on 37% of the popular vote. Way to go FPTP by the way).

I'd probably welcome it to be honest at this stage. He can throw the DUP under the bus and draw a customs border down the Irish sea and GB can exit the EU and do as it pleases.

That's just one poll and we don't know the size of the sample or where the poll was taken. As has been proved in one or two elections, the Polls don't always get it right.

17 minutes ago, murphaph said:

That really would be something... Johnson wins a general election and then reverts to the original idea of a customs border down the Irish sea, and sells it as an improved Withdrawal Agreement.

Would that be the first step towards Northern Ireland leaving the UK?

3 minutes ago, French bean said:

Would that be off the German passports of his children from his former German wife? Bet they are really embarrassed when they go back to Germany.

They are probably quite anonymous so it doesn't really matter :P

5 minutes ago, Mackle said:

That really would be something... Johnson wins a general election and then reverts to the original idea of a customs border down the Irish sea, and sells it as an improved Withdrawal Agreement.

Would that be the first step towards Northern Ireland leaving the UK?

Brexit is going to tear the UK apart IMO. Scotland will probably leave first, even before NI. NI unionists historically associate with Scottish lowland people more than the English. Most protestants in NI are not established church but Presbyterian, Methodist etc. Scotland leaving the UK would be a major psychological blow to them. It would then be just a matter of time before NI left England & Wales, probably not to be missed by 90% of those living in what will be left of the UK (at that stage the country would need a different name as Wales is part of the Kingdom of England).

I actually think the Irish sea border will delay Irish unity, not accelerate it. A hard Brexit with hard border would snuff out the last bit of private sector activity in NI. 30% of NI's exports go south. Only 1% of the south's exports go north. This would (coupled with a UK wide recession and corresponding reduced Barnett Formula funding) see living standards plummet in NI, pushing small u unionists to question the union more vigorously.

Just now, murphaph said:

Brexit is going to tear the UK apart IMO

Either that, or the traditional parties, or the EU. Something has to give.

6 hours ago, yesterday said:

Trouble is now

The EU will not re negotiate...

The Withdrawal agreement has been rejected 3 times by Parliament, and is un likely to pass now under any circumstance.

Boris is now left with the choices

- leave without a deal

- Cancel Brexit

- Go for extension

- Go for another ref, unlikely

- Go for GE, unlikely

- Hope, Parliament will take the decision out of his hands :)

All of which will up-set one group or another ... in an extreme way

Not sure, I would like to be in the position to choose ...

You forgot the other option for BJ- Go on holiday.