Brexit: The fallout

13,715 posts in this topic

Direct rule and you may as well set fire to the GFA already. 

In other, surely unrelated news the Pound has just reached a two year low against the Euro.

These guys have limited support at present. Direct rule and a hard border and who knows where this will end up. I remember when there was a sectarian killing almost on a daily basis. We have come a long long way from that. We do not want to go back there.

1 minute ago, hooperski said:

A picture tells a thousand words.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAtEA8NXsAIn58A.jpg

Looks like she's digging her thumbnail into his hand :lol:

41 minutes ago, hooperski said:

A picture tells a thousand words.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAtEA8NXsAIn58A.jpg

What she says about BoJ...:lol:

A fanny. Nicely succinct. I was just thinking Professional Bullshitter. I have had the misfortune to work with a couple of people just like him. Obviously a megalomaniac and charismatic (apparently) narcissist. A bit like Adolf. He is using the same rhetoric. Thousand year Reich, brilliant country, brilliant people. Spot the similarities anyone? We just need a scapegoat or three but as he's not racist... what will he come up with?

The pound has sunk well below €1 at Britain’s biggest airports – while the dollar is at parity.

At the ICE desk at Heathrow airport on Tuesday morning, The Independent was quoted £117 for buying €100 – making each pound worth just 85 euro cents.

At Gatwick airport on Monday night, the rate was £1 = €0.90. With commission added to a €100 transaction, the cost in sterling was £116.

The interbank rate at 7am sank below £1 = €1.09, as the downward pressure on the pound continued.

The currency market has marked down sterling as the prospect of a no-deal Brexit appears increasingly likely. At the peak of the holiday season, prices for British travellers will be at a two-year high. 

27 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

That is incredibly irresponsible to use an airport quote. 

Looking at fxstreet.com, the lowest it sank on official exchanges was 0.9195 around 5:00 am GMT this morning which means 1,08 Euros per Pound.   

https://www.fxstreet.com/rates-charts/chart-interactive?asset=eurgbp

3 minutes ago, balticus said:

That is incredibly irresponsible to use an airport quote. ..

Ha, ha. Yeh, right, 'cause nobody ever exchanges at the airport...

13 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Ha, ha. Yeh, right, 'cause nobody ever exchanges at the airport...

To report responsibly in this case, the moves in EUR/GBP or Cable are shocking enough at more than 1% per day.  That is huge for a major currency and the words "all time low" should make the point.   If the airport exchange would be part of the article but not the headline, i would not object.

Using a quote which is 24 Eurocents different than the most extreme exchange, i.e. a 22% variance, is pure fear mongering. 

Any Irish person of a certain generation will be able to grasp just how weak Sterling has become when I tell you 1 IEP (Irish Punt) would be worth 1.16 GBP today. Before the currency was abolished for the Euro, the Punt was always weaker than than Sterling. I think it was weaker in fact from the moment Ireland un-pegged the currency to Sterling in 1973 or thereabouts right up until it no longer existed.

9 minutes ago, balticus said:

To report responsibly in this case, the moves in EUR/GBP or Cable are shocking enough at more than 1% per day.  That is huge for a major currency and the words "all time low" should make the point.   If the airport exchange would be part of the article but not the headline, i would not object.

Using a quote which is 24 Eurocents different than the most extreme exchange, i.e. a 22% variance, is pure fear mongering. 

Did you bother to read the linked article in its entirety? Thought not. They quote other sources for exchange rates, like:

The interbank rate at 7am sank below £1 = €1.09, as the downward pressure on the pound continued.

Which is actually one cent more than you quoted.

Do try harder.

11 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Did you bother to read the linked article in its entirety? Thought not. They quote other sources for exchange rates, like:

As i wrote, using the most extreme case which is a 20+% variance from the official exchange as the headline number is pure sensationalism and fear mongering.   It is what i would expect from the Sun, but not the Indepedent. 

The situation is not good, but no reason to imply a 20% correction which would be catastrophic if done in a 24 hour period.