Brexit: The fallout

8,647 posts in this topic

trumped.jpg.126b4d038682c7ccc07090b5d949

This is the "Sovreignty" the Brextremists have won for us, taking back control?. We are now completely free to follow every whim of the unhinged American President...

Let's make America Great Again! (By debasing and humiliating the once Great Britain)

On 7/13/2019, 10:05:35, Smaug said:

Maybe BoJo needs to learn what the word "and" means. Here's the Paragraph 5(c) that's referenced:

This makes it perfectly clear that if come October 31 there's no deal there'll be no free trade between the UK and the EU. If the UK wants to continue having free trade with the EU there needs to be a "plan and a schedule" in place for a FTA, i.e. A DEAL. My interpretation is that the deal wouldn't necessarily need to be ratified by then, but there must be a plan for it. Right now, there isn't, the UK hasn't accepted the agreement.

More form the Andre Nell interview.

Neil: “You talk about Article 5b in Gatt 24 – ”

Johnson: “Paragraph 5b. Article 24. Get the detail right. Get the detail right, Andrew. It’s Article 24, paragraph 5b.”

Neil: “And how would you handle paragraph 5c?”

Johnson: “I would confide entirely in paragraph 5b, because that is – ”

Neil: “How would you get round what’s in 5c?”

Johnson: “I would confide entirely in paragraph 5b which is enough for our purposes.”

Neil: “Do you know what’s in 5c?”

Johnson: “No.” 

Unfortunately that is the mess we are in. Do or die, but for what. Nothing!

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Must be a student...can´t spell!

Says the guy who can't find the apostrophe on his keyboard...

*wink*

Naughty, Jeffo! Sorted the problem a few minutes ago after talking to a Paraguayan astrologist!

I like to be modern!

:lol::lol:

PS: victimhood here...I can´t even SEE the keyboard!!! But in the next few months..here´s hoping!

3 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Jonathan Pie on the Tory leadership debate...

he should be putting people to sleep in the EU parliament!

Excellent, he should be granted freedom of the city of London for that! But hurry up.

Hammond says it's 'terrifying' that leading Boris Johnson ally thinks no-deal won't harm economy

Turning away from the Brexit committee for a moment, the Tory Brexiter Jacob Rees-Mogg has written an article in today’s Telegraph attacking claims that a no-deal Brexit will make the UK poorer. Here is an extract.

Last week, the chancellor, Philip Hammond warned against a no-deal Brexit, suggesting it would cost the UK economy £90 billion. It is disappointing to see his predictions still so heavily reliant on the Treasury’s “Project Fear” economic model first published in November 2018 – especially when several recent models employed by economists independent of the government, notably the World Trade Model developed at Cardiff University, have found the opposite: that the total positive impact of no-deal could be in the region of about £80 billion.

This £170 billion discrepancy can be accounted for by examining the assumptions fed into the Treasury model, which range from the absurd to the merely dubious. The most egregious is the failure to include the annual savings from no longer paying the £20 billion annual gross budget contribution to the EU. This omission tells you all you need to know about the Treasury’s pessimistic mindset ...

Put simply, the idea that we will be poorer in the long-term and even in the short-term after Brexit is a myth.

In response Hammond has posted a tweet saying it is “terrifying” that someone this close to the next government (Rees-Mogg is one of Boris Johnson’s leading parliamentary supporters, and could be offered a job in a Johnson government) can make these claims.

Happy to debate scale of negative impact of No Deal on the economy - but terrifying that someone this close to a potential future government can think we’d actually be better off by adding barriers to access to our largest market. https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1151391985812553728