Brexit: The fallout

8,644 posts in this topic

If Spitting Image was still around, they could have done a Trainspotting-inspired sketch of Farage, Widdecombe, Johnson, etc. Such a pity it has gone. There's such a dire need for satire at the moment and as good as Have I Got News for You and Private Eye are, I doubt that they reach a wide audience.

(Mind you, when it comes to Trainspotting references, I wonder if the younger generation even "get" them. Trainspotting is already over 20 years old.)

Tommy Robinson bus given parking ticket outside court

A double-decker bus used by Tommy Robinson supporters has been issued with a parking ticket outside the court where the far-right activist is on trial.

The supporters booed a parking warden as he slapped the fine on the front windscreen of the vehicle, which is screening pro-Robinson films in a street near the Old Bailey in London

Talking of tightening borders, I expect Brexiters will pounce on this story, as evidence that leaving the EU is a good idea. Whatever one thinks of the EU, I suppose it's fair to say that this probably wouldn't have happened in the UK, or at least would have been less likely to happen, without freedom of movement.

UK slavery network 'had 400 victims'

Tommy Robinson faces up to two years in prison after judges rule him in contempt of court

Tommy Robinson faces up to two years in prison after being found in contempt of court for livestreaming outside a grooming trial.

Two High Court judges ruled he had breached reporting restrictions by filming defendants outside Leeds Crown Court in May 2018.

The former leader of the English Defence League also interfered with the course of justice by confronting defendants outside the building, the judges concluded on Friday following a two-day hearing at the Old Bailey.

22 hours ago, Lorelei said:

Talking of tightening borders, I expect Brexiters will pounce on this story, as evidence that leaving the EU is a good idea. Whatever one thinks of the EU, I suppose it's fair to say that this probably wouldn't have happened in the UK, or at least would have been less likely to happen, without freedom of movement.

UK slavery network 'had 400 victims'

Unfortunately it was just as likely to happen. The perps are Polish Gypsies. There's been enough modern slavery carried out by both Irish and British Gypsies.

choices.jpg.aef28aa089be0e37b0e6c3247051

Although, I think a better choice would be between diarrhœa or constipation ;)

On 7/5/2019, 8:13:42, Lorelei said:

Oh that makes me feel old. 

If Spitting Image was still around, they could have done a Trainspotting-inspired sketch of Farage, Widdecombe, Johnson, etc. Such a pity it has gone. There's such a dire need for satire at the moment and as good as Have I Got News for You and Private Eye are, I doubt that they reach a wide audience.

(Mind you, when it comes to Trainspotting references, I wonder if the younger generation even "get" them. Trainspotting is already over 20 years old.)

1 hour ago, Wulfrun said:

5d232c732cd5e_brexitsimplified.jpg.041b2

that makes me feel old!