Brexit: The fallout

8,684 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, john_b said:

60201811_2474184202616075_4724717179562360832_o.jpg

Didn‘t she use to be a Revolutionary Communist 20 or so years ago?

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Didn‘t she use to be a Revolutionary Communist 20 or so years ago?

shouldn't she be in the labour party?

1 hour ago, john_b said:

It's quite amazing how the Brexit Party seems to be able to get away with an extremely dodgy slate of candidates

Unfortunately it's almost not that amazing. British politics is now so broken and the public so confused and angry that pretty much anything goes right now.

Note to any Leavers voting today in the UK - don't forget, if you support a no-deal Brexit, you need to write an X in the Brexit Party AND the UKIP box.

9 minutes ago, hooperski said:

For Superman it was Kryptonite ...

There's a photo doing the rounds of an elderly gent standing in the street wearing a Brexit Party rosette and with what looks like pink milkshake down his front. I'm inclined to laugh at pompous Farage being milkshaked, but I don't think it's fair to target ordinary campaigners. Not just a nasty thing to do, but shows Remainers in a bad light. They're being accused of violence, which it technically is.

But as for Farage...

"BREAKING: Nigel Farage says voters have a clear choice this week; namely strawberry, chocolate or vanilla."
https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1130487268941193218

10 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

They're being accused of violence, which it technically is.

Not just technically, its straight up political violence.  

8 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

I'm inclined to laugh at pompous Farage being milkshaked

Will you laugh when its Dianne Abbott?

17 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

shows Remainers in a bad light.

Its a huge political win for brexit.  If you want hard brexit, this is how you get it. 

EU citizens in UK complain of being denied right to vote

A disturbing picture is emerging of EU citizens in the UK being denied their democratic right to vote in the European parliament elections because of administrative errors by local councils.

Reports are coming in from across the country of EU nationals turning up at polling booths and finding their names crossed out and being told by officials they are not eligible to vote.

Dozens have contacted the Guardian to say that the forms they had to sign to declare they were choosing to vote in this country had either turned up too late or not turned up at all.

Combine that with UK citizens in EU being sent postal votes too late.

Not sure if there was a steel industry in the Middle Ages, Kommentarlos! But my memory is poor these days!

:o

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Not sure if there was a steel industry in the Middle Ages, Kommentarlos! But my memory is poor these days!

:o

Well at least insofar as there were swords and knights armour available. Steel was already know B.C. (says Wikipedia).  Main difference is the industrialised and centralised super huge furnace allowing massive imcrease in steel vs the local production in small amount.

15 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Outrageous stuff. I'd be pretty enraged if I was in their shoes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48384000

Edit: Sorry, Le Cheese beat me too this one.

I really hate the platitudes that come out - "working tirelessly" FFS someone senior somewhere messed up and people are paying the price. The only thing they're working tirelessly at is saving face. An impossible task for such a large group of incompetents.

I also like the last paragraph:

"EU citizens' right to vote in the election in their home member state remains unaffected by the change in the UK's participation; in order to do so, they would need to be registered in that country in accordance with that country's process and timetable."

Which they did but the government's Brexit fiasco caused the problem, not the EU citizens in the UK.