Brexit: The fallout

10,744 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, murphaph said:

The UK is not "an island". It shares a land border with another EU member state.

At present Ireland and the UK have a virtually identical immigration policy but post Brexit (assuming end of FoM) that will radically change as 400 million people will have continuing FoM in Ireland.

Islands feel like prisons.Dont like being surrounded by water.In australia i had that feeling of expansive freedom for the first time.But theirs is a continent island

From a poster on the Guardian Game of Thrones article on how it will end

Here's the situation. Cersei is keen to let the Night King invade and bring eternal Winter because it benefits her in her own domestic power struggle. Jon and Daenerys are determined to stop him because it would bring catastrophe and misery to Westeros.

Here's how it will play out. What people haven't realised is that the onset of eternal Winter will threaten the fragile peace in the Iron Islands, the wet, miserable islands off the coast of Westeros run by violent religious bigots. Although Cersei wants to Night King to bring it on, she also wants to preserve her alliance with the Greyjoys and their powerful navy. She will try to ensure that there is some kind of backstop arrangement that prevents the seas around the Iron Islands from freezing over in the event of eternal Winter.

This will cause unmanageable conflict with the real extremists in King's Landing, the sinister Qyburn and his creation, the undead Mountain, who are furious that Westeros is being swamped by Dothraki migrants. Although Cersei will continue to be Queen in name, she will have no real power because of this extremist faction. Eventually, she'll be forced to seek a way forward with her enemies in the North. They themselves will be riven with factionalism as Jon and Dany insist that all efforts must focus on stopping the Night King, while Sansa and Arya are more interested in vengeance against the Lannisters.

As intrigue and factionalism continues, Westeros will become a laughing stock and the Free Cities across the Narrow Sea will roll their eyes at the barbarian Westerosi ways.

Then, a stunning twist... Just as the final episode is about to start, with everything still apparently unresolved, David Benioff and D B Weiss will announce that HBO has agreed to give them an extra episode to resolve all the storylines. Half-way through that extra episode, with everything still chaotic and violent, there are indications that the showrunners will seek another extra episode, but it's unclear whether HBO will grant it.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Brilliant :D

EU parliament votes to give UK citizens visa-free access after Brexit

The European parliament has voted to confirm UK citizens will continue to benefit from visa-free travel to member states after a no-deal Brexit.

MEPs voted 502 votes to 81 in favour of the concession – provided EU nationals enjoy the same conditions when travelling to the UK.

The decision had been held up by a row at the European Council about the status of Gibraltar, whose sovereignty is disputed by Spain.

The rapporteur for the proposal, Sergei Stanishev, said: “This is an important step for guaranteeing visa-free travel between EU and UK after Brexit, especially in case of no deal.”

From the moment of leaving the European Union, British travellers will become “third country nationals”. But in common with more than 60 other nationalities, including Australian, Japanese and US visitors, they will be allowed to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

4 hours ago, Some guy who dated Joana said:

Islands feel like prisons.Dont like being surrounded by water.In australia i had that feeling of expansive freedom for the first time.But theirs is a continent island

WTF? I feel sorry for Joana!

12 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Seems like an odd decision

MEPs voted 502 votes to 81 in favour of the concession – provided EU nationals enjoy the same conditions when travelling to the UK. B)

16 hours ago, dom said:

MEPs voted 502 votes to 81 in favour of the concession – provided EU nationals enjoy the same conditions when travelling to the UK. B)

You missed my point, they have the uk running scared. 

All they have to do is stay firm and the commons has more or less openly said they dont have the nerve to leave so will eventually revoke article 50.

So why now at the 11th hour make leaving far less worrying for the average brit?

2 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

All they have to do is stay firm and the commons has more or less openly said they dont have the nerve to leave so will eventually revoke article 50.

Theresa May and the Brexiteers want Brexit but to blame the EU for it.

What a better way to say to the public when they crash out, it was the EU which did not give us an extension. I suspect May would want the EU not to give the extension as it would save her party.

But she asked for 30th June extension last time...and didn't get it. She really likes to ask the same question over and over again eh.

I'd be surprised if the EU grants it. I thought, because of the elections, it was either 22nd May or much longer (i.e. at least a year).

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I suspect May would want the EU not to give the extension as it would save her party.

What?  In what way does that save her party?  

The only thing saving her at all is corbyn.  All labour has to do is replace corbyn, a fresh start, with a real remainer, and they clean up.   But they are too stuborn to do that.

Mays best choice is to extend, offer another referendum "parliament wont support me, but the people will" or some such, let it fail, remain, stand down as leader, job done.  

I know, I know "she wont do that, she already said".  Sure, just like 29th is the final final choice, its my deal or hard brexit.  

12 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

What?  In what way does that save her party?  

Brexiteers get a hard Brexit and she can tell the Remainers that she tried but the EU would not give an extension.

How can a single vote in parliament supersede the 1.3m vote majority for Brexit?

It is now clear we will have to fight our political classes again.

I’m up for it.

11:41 PM - Apr 3, 2019

The very Parliament which you said you wanted to take back control, has taken back control.

This is how democracy works and why you have been defeated the seven times you stood for Parliament.

Famously you were beaten in the polls by a dolphin, shut up you massive tool.

52 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

The only thing saving her at all is corbyn.  All labour has to do is replace corbyn, a fresh start, with a real remainer, and they clean up.   But they are too stuborn to do that.

But if this happened, wouldn't Labour then lose seats in Wales and the Northern mining towns? There seem to be rabid hard as possible Brexit fanatics en masse in these places - I guess it's the "we are f**ked so everyone else should be too" mentality.

As a lot of remain-centric places are already Labour strongholds, won't such a thing help ensure a Tory majority?

1 hour ago, Mackle said:

As a lot of remain-centric places are already Labour strongholds, won't such a thing help ensure a Tory majority?

I dont see those guys voting tory, do you?  They might, concievably vote ukip or whatever farrage is calling himself these days, but Id be amazed if they didnt vote labour.  It might reduce the labour majority in the area but they stay safe red.

I'd be interested to know if this tweet from JRM is enough for Europe to put an end to all this:

If a long extension leaves us stuck in the EU we should be as difficult as possible. We could veto any increase in the budget, obstruct the putative EU army and block Mr Macron’s integrationist schemes.

Firstly, as one of the comments says, "[this] tweet is a full-on admission of the huge levels of power that we have always held within the EU."

Twat.

Also, it highlights the exact situation that the EU wants to avoid. And this is written by someone who could well end up being Prime Minister in the near future.

Double twat.

1 minute ago, theGman said:

I'd be interested to know if this tweet from JRM is enough for Europe to put an end to all this:

I doubt it.  He isnt actually a major player, and doesnt have the support of the MPs, he was just (no longer as far as I know) the brexiteer choice for leader.