Brexit: The fallout

9,390 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, zwiebelfisch said:

The bbc is reporting that May says there isnt time to now avoid no deal. 

She could well be correct there.

If they (who?) cancel Article 50 then Frommage & his 20 wet walkers will be terribly dissapointed.  All that way for nowt.

2 minutes ago, HEM said:

If they (who?) cancel Article 50 then Frommage & his 20 wet walkers will be terribly dissapointed.  All that way for nowt.

Dunno to be honest, I cant help wondering if it will end up like the scotland referendum.  Stay in the uk but put the SNP (or in our case UKIP) in power apparently permanently.

Wouldnt surprise me at all if a long and convoluted remain made farrage more powerful than he ever dreamed of.

Would anyone mind if I went to sleep and woke up when its all over?

Easiest way to get a deal is for there to be a cross party (yes I know its a very extreme idea) team of negotiators to gpo and talk to the EU. NOT May, NOT just conservatives, but since they are most affected, 2 from the DUP to sort out the Irish backstop. Then for the trade deal that theoretically should be started sometime from next week, 1 from Labour and 1 from Conservatives and 1 from DUPl. Than the 2 *big* parties are joined for once in thinking about the country and the people instead of themselves and their party, and the DUP who are going to be affected in any trade negotiations to remove the possibility of some sort of border checks are also involved. Yes I know that it would mean Scotland and Wales are not directly in on the negotiations, but they should be kept well informed at ALL stages of the negotiation and not just handed a fait acompli at the end

Plus I hope that even though Mrs. May was mentioned a lot that she was not sitting all alone in the room but had a bunch of experts doing the actual negotiation. Thats how ist usually done. 

They are very  clear, but there is no point in May and/or her entourage getting assurances from them and being an inbetween person, if the DUP are directly involved in getting the assurances they are far more likely to agree them. If they were to take the AG with them as well to make sure the legal side is also covered at the time the assurances are given that would also save things being written, "agreed" and then the AG saying it is not good enough for whatever reason in law

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

No idea to be honest.  Would be a surprise if we didnt.  The bbc is reporting that May says there isnt time to now avoid no deal. 

May wants a No Deal. Brexiteers want a No Deal. 

May has played her cards very well and she has only 2 more weeks left to hold on to her dream.

However her last trick will be to blame the EU for No deal on 10th April.

I actually thought May had no clue what she was doing, but in getting a No deal and blaming it on the EU is nothing short of clever.

What she did in the 3rd vote was flush out Mogg and Johnson as opportunists and not true Brexiteers. She also drove a wedge between the DUP and the ERG, making way for a general election, as the next Brexiteer PM might not have the DUP on side.

There will be one more twist to go however.

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Has the UK actually asked for another extension?  If they don't its out-in-April methinks.

Tusk has called an emergency meeting on the 10th - Frankly, that is it, the UK is out imo on the 12th - Can't see the EU wanting European elections in the UK  ( in fact, many of the EU members don't want it, they see it as being hugely disruptive )

Edit : The EU of course would be open to a customs union according to Barnier, can't see the UK going for that either but who knows.

Normally mild-mannered backbencher: The cabinet are f***ed. They’re so sh**. They couldn’t sell a glass of water to a parched man in the desert. They’re dancing with the fairies you and I can’t see at the end of the garden

From Here

They couldn' sell a glass of water to a partched man in the desert :lol: ... awesome 

4 hours ago, LeCheese said:

They rejected the deal. Out on 12th of April unless something turns up.

Pound dropping ( no surprise there )

I´m not working on a Stock Exchange or a economist. Just wondering..ok, pound dropping but when might the Euro drop if it turns out the EU has " lost " a major contributor ? 

1 hour ago, john g. said:

I´m not working on a Stock Exchange or a economist. Just wondering..ok, pound dropping but when might the Euro drop if it turns out the EU has " lost " a major contributor ? 

Why you are asking LeCheese as she effectively knows very little, just how to spend hubbys money and then broadcast it on the internet.

I don´t know  LeCheese from Adam, Renegade.

Ok, a question to a wider public...when might the Euro drop?

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Ok, a question to a wider public...when might the Euro drop?

The question is against what other currency John

Euro against the US dollar, its been dropping  for around a  year from 1.22 down to 1.12 today

Pound has dropped against the US dollar same period from 1.43 to  1.30.

If the UK drops out of the EU on the 12th, expect the pound to drop a lot further, I would expect it to come close to Parity with the Euro in that case. The Euro is going to take a hit as well, but nowhere near the kind of  hit the pound will take.

It will suck for those with income from the UK of course  until things stabilise.

2 hours ago, john g. said:

I´m not working on a Stock Exchange

Missed that post. Long ago, in another life, I managed a fund in an investment management firm for some years

These days, I manage  one fund ( my own ) and my stockbroker another - he gets kind of cheesed off  at times as I tend to do better than him most years

4 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

Missed that post. Long ago, in another life, I managed a fund for an investment management firm for some years

These days, I manage  one fund ( my own ) and my stockbroker another - he gets kind of cheesed off  at times as I tend to do better than him most years

Impossible. According to RF, you are spending your hubby's money.

I almost busted a gut when I read that!

We just rode by the EU Patentamt and the Union Jack was still flying. So there's that.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Impossible. According to RF, you are spending your hubby's money.

I almost busted a gut when I read that!

Damn fruity, I almost  spilled my chianti when I read your post :D

Hubby will be most upset to hear that ;):rolleyes::lol: