Brexit: The fallout

10,211 posts in this topic

I knew this would happen. The simple STV option to pick a winner was too complicated for these clowns.

7 hours ago, murphaph said:

I knew this would happen. The simple STV option to pick a winner was too complicated for these clowns.

I think part of the problem is that the opposition were following orders.  Which basically means vote against anything which originated from another party.  And then the other parties vote against the opposition ideas to get back at them!

It would only ever work if it was really a free vote on all sides.  But even then, I am not convinced they could reach a majority.

You don't need any one option to have a simple majority of first preferences if you use STV. It would quickly find the "most acceptable option".

Remember that most British government parties get less than 50% of the vote but still get to govern as they are the "most acceptable".

A free vote using STV would be ideal but whipping doesn't stop STV from working either.

It would be highly ironic if STV was used in the HoC when the failed AV referendum would have prevented this whole mess in the beginning by ending two party politics in the UK. Cameron never thought he'd get the overall majority required to hold the Brexit referendum in the first place.

21 hours ago, pappnase said:

BBC reporting that May has just told the 1922 committee that she will not remain in post for the next phase of the negotiations. So looks like she is going to go 'Real Soon Now'.

Very good news, although won't change much! I would put my money on Gingernut as the next PM!

On 3/27/2019, 1:22:27, dom said:

Emergency Tory Party conference arranged 2 days before brexit to discuss possible leadership contest!

Clown craze: Now Russia wades in by warning its citizens ...

The UK ditched EFTA when they joined the 'Common Market' (as it was back then), I can't see them welcoming the UK back with open arms...

3 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

The UK ditched EFTA when they joined the 'Common Market' (as it was back then), I can't see them welcoming the UK back with open arms...

Hell no, they would have to get Norway and Iceland to agree - not going to happen

Does anyone have a clue what they are voting on tomorrow?

Sounds like a non-binding Withdrawal Agreement. 

They are voting on the WA without the PD. The legality or otherwise of this remains to be seen.

11 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Does anyone have a clue what they are voting on tomorrow?

Sounds like a non-binding Withdrawal Agreement. 

From what I heard a while ago even the MP's have no idea exactly what they are voting on! They *think* it may be a withdrawal agreement without the agreement going forwards part, but they were still not totally sure

• May is holding the vote tomorrow because she wants to protect the article 50 extension until 22 May agreed by the EU. That is dependent on MPs voting for the withdrawal agreement by the end of tomorrow. But to win the vote she faces an uphill struggle - particularly since the DUP have just said they will vote against (see 6pm) - and if the vote is lost, then the UK will be heading for no-deal on 12 April - unless it revokes article 50, gets the EU to agree a long extension conditional on the UK holding European election, or passes the deal before 12 April and persuades the EU to agree another very short extension.

From the Guardian

Theresa May has said she will stand down once Brexit is completed, which means she's probably got another 10 years as P.M.

She only needs to set a date, negotiate the terms of her withdrawal, and ensure a smooth transition.  What could possibly go wrong.

29 minutes ago, murphaph said:

They are voting on the WA without the PD. The legality or otherwise of this remains to be seen.

Is that even possible.

DUP and Labour intend to vote against.

Boris Johnson will vote for anything that makes him PM.

27 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

The article unfortunately is wrong.

What if it was the UK Governments position all along to go for a hard brexit/no deal?

May had one plan and that was to run down the clock towards no deal, she is 2 weeks away from completing her plan and the EU is so unaware.

17 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The article unfortunately is wrong.

What if it was the UK Governments position all along to go for a hard brexit/no deal?

May had one plan and that was to run down the clock towards no deal, she is 2 weeks away from completing her plan and the EU is so unaware.

Why then did she get the postponement? UK would be leaving tomorrow with no deal if not for the postponement?

Mind you, no deal could still happen, but I think it would be more likely due to the shambolic incompetence and indeciveness that has thus far characterised the UK's position, than any sort of geniusly devious perfidity.

5 minutes ago, arsenal21 said:

Why then did she get the postponement? UK would be leaving tomorrow with no deal if not for the postponement?

Giving her departments more time to prepare for No Deal.

With Grayling still as transport minister it is very possible she would soon need to ask for the long extension and compete in EU elections.