Brexit: The fallout

8,621 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, hooperski said:

So ... Jacob Rees-Mogg previously said that May's deal was "completely incompetent" and "it's hard to think of anything that could be worse".

He is now arguing for what he said would turn us into a SLAVE STATE.  The man is a self-serving, lying shitstick. Immoral and untrustworthy.

So where do you stand?  For Mays deal or against it?

Its still unclear to me where anyone stands, it seems like everyone is simply against everything.  

13 minutes ago, boltonwfc said:

There are around 100,000 Brits living in Germany yet it seems only around 4000 have signed the Revoke Article 50 petition. Does that mean the other 96,000 are Brexiteers or don’t care ?

The others already have a German passport 😛.

6 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

So where do you stand? 

@hooperski is the personification of the Brexit process. Nothing constructive to contribute. Doesn’t know what he wants. Just providing endless small minded bitching with the intention to proliferate division and discontent.

We are all seeing just how well this is working out for everyone.

^^This post actually contributes less than that by not even being a little bit funny.

34 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Its still unclear to me where anyone stands, it seems like everyone is simply against everything.  

Unless anyone suggests an acceptable alternative, I am fine with the May deal. 

I would prefer if the topic moved on to concrete measures for the further relationship with the EU that take the backstop question off the table. I would like to hear good ideas here  to that work both in the specific instance of Ireland but are also applicable for other EU border developments in general. I am not happy about the difficulties in Ireland being used by both sides as a political football. 

21 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

So where do you stand?  For Mays deal or against it?

May's "deal" is good for the EU, but it simply delays and spreads out the pain of leaving the EU for the UK. The reason it is a cr@p deal for the UK, is because it doesn't focus at all on the trade in services, save for saying that they will try to agree something over the following two years (and we know how well the negotiations over the past two years have gone). Meanwhile, the trade in goods continues un-impacted. Given the UK is a massive net importer of goods from the EU, but is a net exporter of services, an agreement on these terms is daft. 

What it does for the EU, is buy them two years to enjoy selling stuff to the UK, whilst holding the UK over a barrel in terms of services. It also allows firms in the UK, two years to gradually move over to the EU. 

For those reasons alone, it would make me choose against her deal. However, I also hope that by rejecting her deal, whilst remaining opposed to leaving with no deal, Parliament will be forced to ask for a lengthier delay in leaving...ideally, long enough so that people decide to worry about other things instead, and the trigger is never pulled.

My concern is that she might persuade enough Labour MPs to vote for her deal.

31 minutes ago, boltonwfc said:

There are around 100,000 Brits living in Germany yet it seems only around 4000 have signed the Revoke Article 50 petition. Does that mean the other 96,000 are Brexiteers or don’t care ?  Any Brit can sign petitions irrespective of the time you have been out of the UK. 

" You must be a British citizen or a UK resident to create or sign a petition. "

Im surprised that their doesnt seem to be an age of other requirement for it, in theory your 1 day old baby can sign as long as its british.  That said I doubt there is any checking of the data anyway, Ill bet there are plenty of Michael Mouse living at 10 Downing Street on the list (as there are on any petition, I doubt this is any worse).

7 minutes ago, dstanners said:

me choose against her deal. However, I also hope that by rejecting her deal, whilst remaining opposed to leaving with no deal,

1 minute ago, dstanners said:

My concern is that she might persuade enough Labour MPs to vote for her deal.

If we are to believe the endless dead warnings a no to Mays deal should mean a hard brexit.

But to be honest Im with you, I suspect delay delay then eventual killing of brexit.

10 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

" You must be a British citizen or a UK resident to create or sign a petition. "

Im surprised that their doesnt seem to be an age of other requirement for it, in theory your 1 day old baby can sign as long as its british.  That said I doubt there is any checking of the data anyway, Ill bet there are plenty of Michael Mouse living at 10 Downing Street on the list (as there are on any petition, I doubt this is any worse).

There are checks. You have to verify your e-Mail address. It knocks back multiple uses of the same address. It also does IP validation. However, it seems like was said earlier, either everyone has German Passports, or a lot of people are happy to let slide the illegality of the Referendum.

10 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

2 minutes ago, boltonwfc said:

illegality of the Referendum

Am I missing something? How was the referendum illegal?

3 minutes ago, boltonwfc said:

There are checks. You have to verify your e-Mail address.

But anyone could easily sign it with a fresh throw away email addresses and giving any uk postcode https://www.doogal.co.uk/PostcodeGenerator.php

The checks are super weak, and since many british people will live at the same address Id expect it allows 5-10 signatures from each IP address and of course your phone, your laptop, your work laptop all have differing IP addresses so it would be trivial for one person to sign up to maybe 30 times.  

Like I said I dont expect its any more abused than other petitions.

Or a lot of people believe that it will make no difference what-so-ever and so don't want to waste the time filling it in.

31 minutes ago, dstanners said:

May's "deal" is good for the EU, but it simply delays and spreads out the pain of leaving the EU for the UK. The reason it is a cr@p deal for the UK, is because it doesn't focus at all on the trade in services, save for saying that they will try to agree something over the following two years (and we know how well the negotiations over the past two years have gone). Meanwhile, the trade in goods continues un-impacted. Given the UK is a massive net importer of goods from the EU, but is a net exporter of services, an agreement on these terms is daft. 

It is a withdrawal agreement that is it. It is not a trade agreement.

16 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Am I missing something? How was the referendum illegal?

But anyone could easily sign it with a fresh throw away email addresses and giving any uk postcode https://www.doogal.co.uk/PostcodeGenerator.php

The checks are super weak, and since many british people will live at the same address Id expect it allows 5-10 signatures from each IP address and of course your phone, your laptop, your work laptop all have differing IP addresses so it would be trivial for one person to sign up to maybe 30 times.  

Like I said I dont expect its any more abused than other petitions.

In 2017 MI6 told Theresa May that the referendum had been externally interfered with. The Courts ruled that had the referendum been Mandatory the result would have been voided due to clear illegal funding and campaigning practices from the Leave side in the days running up to the vote. Theresa May’s own QC even admitted she was aware of the illegalities.

https://www.ukineuchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/272204-Judgment-Court-of-Appeal.pdf

I'm no lawyer so I could easily have missed something but that pdf seems to me to be a long winded way of saying that the referendum was legal.

Funding for some leave groups was not, but the referendum itself was legal.  

Or where is the bit that says otherwise?

30 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

The investigation in to Arron Banks' funding by the NCA (National Crime Agency) is ongoing. My guess is Her Majesty's Government will draw a blank.

55 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

I'm no lawyer so I could easily have missed something but that pdf seems to me to be a long winded way of saying that the referendum was legal.

Or where is the bit that says otherwise?

The part that it says Theresa May can lawfully ignore the illegalities and the fact that the Courts said it had to be submitted within three months (impossible due to evidence was not available at the time). So, like I said, she could ignore the illegalities lawfully because the referendum was advisory. It doesn’t say the result of the referendum was legal. It says she could ignore the illegalities.