Brexit: The fallout

12,218 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, HEM said:

For instance the EasyJet web page (they fly direct HAM<=>MAN) states that they will continue to fly after Brexit.

Their English-language website gives advice on travel from viewpoint of a UK citizen travelling from the UK - where they rise the issue of health insurance (not an issue as we have ADAC cover) but also whether a UK driving license will be valid in the EU.  Which leads to the converse question of whether my EU/German driving license will be valid in UK.  However its seems that there is no issue.

Thats pretty much what I expect.

The only issues I imagine are:

* confused people on the border not sure which line to join

* confused authorities who "sorry mate, I dont know any more than you do, just show your passport and go through"

* maybe some brits who end up with exotic documents allowing them to stay in germany but potentially not rights to travel (temporary until a visit to the auslanderbehorder)

* oh and no doubt some protesters here and there arguing one way or the other about brexit

27 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

Brussels confirms return of border checks under no-deal Brexit

I presume that will mean that we EU citizens will be treated the same way when travelling to the UK. 

This story is somewhat related to this: My better half told me last week that a colleague of his who is an Italian citizen and has lived in the UK for over 20 years was asked how long she intended to stay the last time she came back to the UK from holiday. The question was apparently prompted by her Italian passport having been issued by the Italian consulate in London, rather than in Italy. She was questioned about why her passport had been issued in London, how long she'd been in the UK, what she did there, and the rather impertinent "how long she intended to stay". I wasn't told what she responded (a polite version of "none of your fucking business", I hope), but this suggests that some UK border guards might already like to pretend that the UK has already left the EU.

57 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

Stamping passports is so olde worlde.  OK - my passport got stamped both on entry & exit at Istanbul airport

but on return to Hamburg there was a row of automatic passport readers & cameras & they let me through without seeing any immegration guy.

I suppose its possible that after B-Day such machines will not accept Brits.

21 minutes ago, Smaug said:

but this suggests that some UK border guards might already like to pretend that the UK has already left the EU.

its more probably due to fact that B-Day would happen within the (next) 90 days that a tourist is allowed to visit the UK.

3 hours ago, HEM said:

For instance the EasyJet web page (they fly direct HAM<=>MAN) states that they will continue to fly after Brexit.

Their English-language website gives advice on travel from viewpoint of a UK citizen travelling from the UK - where they rise the issue of health insurance (not an issue as we have ADAC cover) but also whether a UK driving license will be valid in the EU.  Which leads to the converse question of whether my EU/German driving license will be valid in UK.  However its seems that there is no issue.

We've taken the plunge & have booked a 6-day visit to the UK early April.

52 minutes ago, HEM said:

We've taken the plunge & have booked a 6-day visit to the UK early April.

Enjoy!  Have also booked a flight-to Dublin and UK. Take both passports with me!

20 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

5c98bb3d87ae3_genepool.jpg.38261ed250fa4

Actually, Boris is an immigrant, born in New York, USA

• Nigel Farage is of german decent, was married to a german and has kids with dual british-german nationality
  • Gove and Mogg are c*nts and can brits can just as easily "dilute this gene pool". Thinking about it a bit more, the poster is bloody stupid!

1 hour ago, dom said:

Thinking about it a bit more, the poster is bloody stupid!

The people who created it assume the only way you can be pro britain is to be racist.  Therefore these people are racists, therefor suggesting we use immigrants to dilute their gene pool will be a huge insult to their white supremacist views. 

Of course it comes accross as dubious race based argumentation which in my view says more about the bigotry of the people who created it than those displayed but thats just me.

There are around 100,000 Brits living in Germany yet it seems only around 4000 have signed the Revoke Article 50 petition. Does that mean the other 96,000 are Brexiteers or don’t care ?  Any Brit can sign petitions irrespective of the time you have been out of the UK.