Brexit: The fallout

8,703 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

if the UK government reimbursed UK pensioners direct

I think this is the part that people are misunderstanding. Seems pretty clear to me and a good question. Just a money transfer, right? 

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I think this is the part that people are misunderstanding. Seems pretty clear to me and a good question. Just a money transfer, right? 

Absolutely. Sure it would  involve extra admin. for the UK Departments, but this is their problem. We are innocent people just trying to get on with our lives. The onus is with those causing the problems to find the solutions. Why should we have to help bail  the Government out for their crazy failed Brexit strategy? 

29 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

I'm not blaming Germany or the EU. I'm blaming the UK Government.  

I understand that the existing reciprocal healthcare agreement is part of EU membership, but pensioners would retain access to it under the negotiated Withdrawal Agreement. So why is not possible to retain access in a No Deal scenario?

Because keeping access to something would be what the deal is for.   You want no deal, then you go with no deal and you become a totally external third party.

16 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Because keeping access to something would be what the deal is for.   You want no deal, then you go with no deal and you become a totally external third party.

But we can still arrive at bilateral deals as a non EU country. It happens in lots of cases, eg Double Taxation agreements.Also, as I understand, the welfare for their  own expats is a priority for EU Governments.

But irrespective, the UK Government could still reimburse UK pensioners regardless of what EU authorities agree. 

10 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

But we can still arrive at bilateral deals as a non EU country. It happens in lots of cases, eg Double Taxation agreements.

Sure, but that can happen only after Brexit.   So what happen to the affected people in the mean time?

2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Sure, but that can happen only after Brexit.   So what happen to the affected people in the mean time?

In the meantime, it appears we are not a priority. We are just collateral damage. That's why this must be sorted out now, when we are still in the EU. Obviously, the common sense thing would be to prevent a No Deal. Just another of the little deatils that those who just "want to get on with it" don't stop to think about.

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

If it were me Id allow a few more votes on the deal, each with cosmetic changes (which presumably all still fail) then tell the public that it isnt possible to do a deal, put it to a second referendum no deal vs remain vs vague option 3 new deal.  Split leave vote, referendum votes remain, stand down as a "failed" pm and retire into some nice consulting position at a bank earning my millions.

But what do I know, Im not Ms May and Im not PM.

Looks like Bercow has other plans. 

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/speaker-john-bercow-blocks-a-third-meaningful-vote-on-brexit-1-5944403

Well that is pretty much it then. 

Looks like it is game over for May and after all of this it wasn`t the Brexiteers which bought her down but the Speaker of the House of Commons.

Who saw that coming?

John Bercow has been the one golden nugget amongst the steaming pile of dog poo that Brexit has shat upon the nation.

Good article about where we are.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/18/john-bercow-brexit-moment-speaker-ruling

Certainly the prime minister’s strategy has depended on eliminating options, so that eventually MPs would conclude that the only feasible Brexit on the table was hers. For that to work, she needed to keep bluffing and keep raising the stakes. She didn’t realise that ultimately, in parliament, it’s the Speaker who runs the game. And now all bets are off.

7 hours ago, hooperski said:

You are really a crap negotiator if you say things like this:

“Extension is better than signing up to this Withdrawal Agreement - we’ll still be in the EU with full voting rights and we can make life extremely difficult for them and use that as leverage.”

If that's your plan then probably you won't get any extension at all.

Given the situation now, ie parliament voted no-deal off the table and the specker has ruled out a new vote on the old deal

I would imagine the EU will not extend, because this leave the UK with the choice of Remain or take the already rules out no-deal.

Hence the EU would force a revoke of A50 and remain

17 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Given the situation now, ie parliament voted no-deal off the table and the specker has ruled out a new vote on the old deal

I would imagine the EU will not extend, because this leave the UK with the choice of Remain or take the already rules out no-deal.

Hence the EU would force a revoke of A50 and remain

Not really.

The only choice now is a General election.

The Brexiteers will stop Mays Government from doing anything if a delay is announced. Mays Government is effectively finished and probably the Tory party will now split.

Bercows intervention has completely changed Brexit and possibly the political landscape in the UK.

31 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Bercows intervention has completely changed Brexit and possibly the political landscape in the UK.

Bercow's wife is a remainer, and may have had an influence here.

If your wife asked you to thwart May's devious 3rd vote plan, and threatened you with no sex, what would you do?

38 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Not really.

The only choice now is a General election.

The Brexiteers will stop Mays Government from doing anything if a delay is announced. Mays Government is effectively finished and probably the Tory party will now split.

yeah, as far as I can see, the Government is in blind panic now, and it just concerned with firefighting the trouble at the moment. Which means it does not look at the longer term ...

The firefight at the moment is getting the BREXIT mess to some sort of conclusion, then it will have time to think about the future problems that causes - like the tories splitting or some parts not helping