Brexit: The fallout

8,044 posts in this topic

How wrong you are... My place has tripled in the past 3 years.. 

Oh well... Suppose you are used to being wrong... 

Drunk again? 

Only four out of forty deals done with just weeks to go before the UK crashes out with no deal? Fucking muppets:

"Brexit: What trade deals has the UK done so far?" BBC

As a European Union member, the UK is automatically part of about 40 trade agreements which the EU has with more than 70 countries. 

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March, it would lose these trade deals immediately. 

To avoid this, Theresa May's government says it wants to replicate the EU's trade agreements "as far as possible" and have them ready to go in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The UK has (so far) only agreed four deals. Labour's Shadow International Trade Secretary, Barry Gardiner, said he understood that talks on 19 other deals were "significantly off track" and that "two are not even being negotiated".

The agreements the UK has struck are:

Switzerland (signed 11 February)

The Faroe Islands (1 February)

Eastern and Southern Africa (31 January)

Chile (30 January)

12 minutes ago, dstanners said:

I know this is yesterday's summary, but wonderfully written article as to paucity of talent/ability/IQ among MPs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/13/at-last-a-use-for-chris-grayling-making-other-ministers-look-good

Not even Chris Grayling can make Boris look remotely competent.

Boris Island, cost £100 million. Rejected, too expensive.

His never built Garden Bridge £60 million.  Scrapped.

His Boris bus, again too expensive.  Scrapped.

His unused cable car.

His water cannons, never used.

And then the cost of converting the Olympic Stadium into West Ham's football ground, £133 more than estimated.

Makes Grayling look like Einstein.

1 hour ago, hooperski said:

Not even Chris Grayling can make Boris look remotely competent.

Boris Island, cost £100 million. Rejected, too expensive.

His never built Garden Bridge £60 million.  Scrapped.

His Boris bus, again too expensive.  Scrapped.

His unused cable car.

His water cannons, never used.

And then the cost of converting the Olympic Stadium into West Ham's football ground, £133 more than estimated.

Makes Grayling look like Einstein.

Although I am far from a Boris fan, I did think that the new Airport made sense.  Unfortunately if you want to build a world class airport on such a scale then that is the price you have to pay.

But the UK does not like to make large, long term infrastructure commitments.  They are much better at making excuses.

2 hours ago, hooperski said:

It's a prerequisite to being an M.P. to be able to give comment and say nothing.

Its also true about lawyers.

On 2/13/2019, 11:32:48, SpiderPig said:

How wrong you are... My place has tripled in the past 3 years.. 

Good man, I'm sure there'll be a "flood" of inquiries... In fact now the snow is melting, "watch the water". Visitors to your place are gonna need a boat. Now as I'm reinvigorating my carpentry project spring I'll be able to say "Here's one I prepared earlier..." :lol:

Theresa May defended the government’s decision to hand a £13.8m Brexit contract to a ferry company without any ships

Theresa May defended the government’s decision to hand a £13.8m Brexit contract to a ferry company without any ships in a bruising clash with Jeremy Corbyn.

She insisted that due diligence was carried out on Seaborne Freight despite auditors saying they could not reach a formal assessment of the firm’s financial viability.

“The spectacular failure of this contract is a symptom of the utter shambles of this Government and its no-deal preparations”

Jeremy Corbyn

The contract was scrapped last week after an Irish company which had backed the new operation withdrew its support.

The episode – which Mr Corbyn said symbolised the “utter shambles” of Mrs May’s Brexit strategy – has prompted demands for Chris Grayling to resign as Transport Secretary over the episode.