Brexit: The fallout

7,288 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

Not at all!

Having sold the lie of the EU being responsible for the miserable state of the UK fishing fleet for the last 20 odd years they couldn't possibly dare risk a return to the pre-EU situation in which the ministerial infighting of succesive Tory, Labour and Tory governments and their collective inability to negotiate one simple trade agreement proved to be the real under-LYING cause of the decline of the UK deep water fishing fleet. 

At the cost of millions in fuel and repairs to multiple Royal Navy vessels and the jobs of thousands of trawlermen and port fish workers in Grimsby, Hull, Fleetwood, and Aberdeen it was the determination of the Icelandic people and parliament and the crews of 4 or 5 coastguard cutters which proved too much for the wankers of Whitehall.

Since 2 of the last 3 Cod Wars occurred before the UK membership of the EEC was even ratified, and the last ended a few weeks before the original referendum (when enough Brits knew from the real economic shituation our govts blundered through that it could only get better if we remained), the UKIP/ERG campaign to blame the EU for the loss of UK fisheries was, like the NHS Busfare money, just another one of the crassest lies made for selling to people who never lived near a busy working fishing port.

For those who don't know the story a short read of the Results and the following review of comments by major statesmen on the historical impact of the failure of British diplomacy might be

an interesting distraction

from the current round of

Breakshit Boar-doom Bingo

2B

3 hours ago, john g. said:

All sensible places..lovely climates etc! Can they please add a small tropical weather place, please?

:lol:

David David is on his way to Mallorca as we speak. That's a country isn't it?

So, it looks like the brother of JCB's chairman isn't going to be happy, 1m GBP donation to the Tory party and the company he's involved with won't get a contract. Someone has finally seen sense in not giving a company without ships a ferry contract.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47182361

The whole thing stinks.

Grayling said that Seaborne was a British company and they were supporting British business. Seaborne obviously didn't have a pot to piss in and was totally reliant on Arklow (fairly big company by Irish standards) to provide the money/ships.

Arklow obviously decided to reconsider their involvement in the whole thing. Maybe they have been spoken to by the Irish government which may have indicated that Ireland will need additional ferry capacity to France from April. Who knows.

Mike Harding's reply to May's letter, asking for the people to support her 'plan'

Dear Mrs May

I am in France having a break having come here on the train all the way from Settle. I just read your letter to me and the rest of Britain wanting us all to unite behind the damp squib you call a deal. Unite? I laughed so much the mouthful of frogs legs I was eating ended up dancing all over the bald head of the bloke on the opposite table. 

Your party’s little civil war has divided this country irreparably. The last time this happened Cromwell discontinued the custom of kings wearing their heads on their shoulders.

I had a mother who was of Irish descent, an English father who lies in a Dutch graveyard in the village where his Lancaster bomber fell in flames. I had a Polish stepfather who drove a tank for us in WW2 and I have two half Polish sisters and a half Polish brother who is married to a girl from Donegal. 

My two uncles of Irish descent fought for Britain in N Africa and in Burma. 

So far you have called us Citizens Of Nowhere and Queue Jumpers. You have now taken away our children and grandchildren’s freedom to travel, settle, live and work in mainland Europe. 

You have made this country a vicious and much diminished place. You as Home Sec sent a van round telling foreigners to go home. You said “illegal” but that was bollocks as the legally here people of the Windrush generation soon discovered. 

Your party has sold off our railways, water, electricity, gas, telecoms, Royal Mail etc until all we have left is the NHS and that is lined up for the US to have as soon as Hannon and Hunt can arrange it.

You have lied to the people of this country. You voted Remain yet changed your tune when the chance to grab the job of PM came. You should have sacked those lying bastards Gove and Bojo but daren’t because you haven’t the actual power. 

You have no answer to the British border on the island of Ireland nor do you know how the Gib border with Spain will work once we are out.

Mrs May you have helped to divide this country to such an extent that families and friends are now no longer talking to each other, you have managed to negotiate a deal far worse than the one we had and all to keep together a party of millionaires, Eton Bullingdon boys, spivs and WI harridans. Your party conserves nothing. It has sold everything off in the name of the free market. 

You could have kept our industries going with investment and development – Germany managed it. But no – The Free Market won so Sunderland, Barnsley, Hamilton etc could all go to the devil.

So Mrs May my answer to your plea for unity is firstly that it is ridiculous.

48% of us will never forgive you for Brexit and secondly, of the 52% that voted for it many will not forgive you for not giving them what your lying comrades like Rees Mogg and Fox promised them.

There are no unicorns, there is no £350 million extra for the NHS. The economy will tank and there will be less taxes to help out the poor. We have 350,000 homeless (not rough sleepers – homeless) in one of the richest countries on Earth and you are about to increase that number with your damn fool Brexit. 

The bald man has wiped the frogs legs of his head, I’ve bought him a glass of wine to say sorry; I’m typing this with one finger on my phone in France and I’m tired now and want to stop before my finger gets too tired to join the other one in a sailors salute to you and your squalid Brexit, your shabby xenophobia and Little Englander mentality.

Two fingers to you and your unity from this proud citizen of nowhere. I and roughly half the country will never forgive you or your party.

On 05/02/2019, 12:27:54, fraufruit said:

Dear Brexit,

Please don't take away my Chiver's Ginger and Lime jam.

Amen

I used to love Roses Lime Marmalade

When I were a nipper, in the early '50s, my Australian grandparents used to send us food parcels which included tinned fruit & marmalade. I wonder if I can persuade my Australian cousins to do the same after brexit :P

And another view, this time from America on how loopy Brexit is. (No nudity) Comparing it to the fallout after a war.

52 minutes ago, murphaph said:

but a hard Brexit can't be ruled out at all.

Of course not - its the default - unless something else is agreed to.