Brexit: The fallout

7,269 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Please don't take away my Chiver's Ginger and Lime jam.

Well, there hasn't been any English Cheddar cheese in our local Lidl for some time.  Just the tasteless (orange) Kerrygold cheddar at EDEKA / Marktkauf.

Strangely enough our local EDEKA has a presentation stand with Cadbury chocolate (Marktkauf has always had Cadbury.  I've about run out of the CDM I bought back from my October visit to the UK.

If you look in a bit of detail at the history of the Chivers brand, what with mergers, the name actually being bought from the original manufacturers, etc., it looks as if it is currently being manufactured in Dublin - note how the packaging carefully says how it was "established" in Cambridge, does not say that it is made there. 

I looked this up too, because I was also concerned that it would disappear from shelves here.

Wondering what will happen to Pataks products as well.

2 hours ago, anzu said:

it looks as if it is currently being manufactured in Dublin

My current jar has an Edinburgh, UK address on it but doesn't actually say where it was made. I don't care as long as I can keep on getting it.

11 hours ago, HEM said:

Well, there hasn't been any English Cheddar cheese in our local Lidl for some time.  Just the tasteless (orange) Kerrygold cheddar at EDEKA / Marktkauf.

Strangely enough our local EDEKA has a presentation stand with Cadbury chocolate (Marktkauf has always had Cadbury.  I've about run out of the CDM I bought back from my October visit to the UK.

The Karstadt basement Rewe's in both Bad Homburg and Frankfurt Zeil, have had Wensleydale with cranberries recently. 

The Frankfurt one incorrectly had it labelled up as "Englischer Cheddar mit Cranberry"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8361505/brexit-secret-high-tech-irish-border/

Summary:

-no infrastructure but cameras to read number plates (on all 250+ crossings? These will last a week in border areas, then police will be required to protect them, then one police officer will be shot at, then the police will demand army protection and bam, it's 1970 all over again)

-open border but only on designated routes (what happens to the hundreds of minor crossings?

-frictionless border but police required for spot checks.

-How do they know what's inside the lorries by reading their number plates anyway?

This is fantasy stuff: when 2 trading blocs meet there is a requirement for a border with checks. There isn't one single example anywhere in the world where this is not the case.

It's insulting to our intelligence to proffer such schemes at this late hour. Agree to the WA with backstop intact or crash out UK.

On 2/1/2019, 9:25:37, Krieg said:

No it is not there.   And even with a big push to make it kind of work in the next couple of years it will be too expensive to implement it in the real world in a big scale.

The same reason why we still do not have RFID labels in all supermarket products to remove the payment stations, and actually the whole thing will probably be abandoned and we will move towards cameras and AI.

And then even if you manage to implement it, it will only solve the problem of border crossing goods and people when they want to play by the rules. 

Again, if the technology is there, then why is UK so scared of the backstop?

I knew we had the tech! and its even with cell phones!!

has.jpg.d741e9dc637c96a30fdfa5e27abe3acb

7 hours ago, Mackle said:

The Frankfurt one incorrectly had it labelled up as "Englischer Cheddar mit Cranberry"

It would seem that if English cheese is not labelled "Cheddar" then its not cheese.

A year or 2 ago Marktkauf up here had Cotswold cheese (one of my favourites).  The plastic wrapping on the whole cheeses was labelled something like "Double Gloucester with chives & onions" which is correct.

However Marktauf managed to label it "Cheddar Costworld"  (yes - it was a bit expensive).

4 hours ago, dom said:

I knew we had the tech! and its even with cell phones!!

has.jpg.d741e9dc637c96a30fdfa5e27abe3acb

And all this time the negotiating teams just lacked an appropriate infographic to explain to them how simple it all is...

3 minutes ago, Auswanderer said:

And all this time the negotiating teams just lacked an appropriate infographic to explain to them how simple it all is...

"PoP" system

Just now, dom said:

"PoP" system

Piece of Piss B)B)

Even charities will now have issues!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47142848

Some of the UK's major aid agencies may be facing a funding shortfall once Britain leaves the European Union.

Many had hoped that funding might continue after Brexit, especially if a deal is agreed.

Aid agencies in non-EU member Switzerland have regularly received EU funding, based on the strong bilateral ties Switzerland has with the bloc.

But an EU letter sent to 10 Swiss non-governmental organisations suggests problems ahead.

It explains that as from 1 January this year, Swiss agencies will no longer be eligible for funding. The reason: there is no longer "a suitable legal basis" to award money to organisations not based in the EU.

An important point, that not just trade with the EU is under treat (many forget this!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47130189?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cwlw3xz0lvvt/brexit&link_location=live-reporting-story

The UK risks "crashing out" of 40 trade agreements spanning five continents in the event of a no-deal Brexit, a business organisation has warned.

It said many firms did not know relationships with customers "across the globe" were at risk from a no-deal.

There are 40 existing EU free trade agreements covering more than 70 countries and accounting for about 11% of the UK's total trade, according to the government.

Speaker of the House, John Bercow politely telling Peter Bone to suck it up.

She walked into the EU,

Like she had an attack of the trots,

Her plan was ambiguous, dim and unprepared,

A strategy it was not,

She had no clue on the border,

And had totally lost the plot,

And all the time kept saying,

"Brexit means Brexit"

"Brexit means Brexit"

You're so inane...