Brexit: The fallout

7,288 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Kev Windsor said:

Germany Car industry faces much uncertainty over its future.

What on earth are you on about?

2 hours ago, Kev Windsor said:

Uncertainty prevades all business life. Germany Car industry faces much uncertainty over its future. Hopefully , it can timely change. It's not a yes / no Brexit matter. 

Yes, that is also what I said earlier about even permanent residency of citizenship  not being a magic bullet - in part as there is more economic instability and less job security here.

Migrating for work is certainly much more risky than say 10 or 20 years ago,

8 minutes ago, swimmer said:

there is more economic instability and less job security here.

And you think it will be better in the UK post-Brexit?

20 minutes ago, swimmer said:

in part as there is more economic instability and less job security here.

Have you ever worked here? What is your information based on?

5 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Possibly... But she preferes to make things up.. 

53 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Possibly... But she preferes to make things up.. 

From her previous posts i don't think she has ever worked in Germany before. 

I am really curious where she is getting her s**t from.  

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I do not do employment because I run my own business (or did till recently) and so it is more important for me than most to evaluate prospects.  I have had a client base working with a huge range of global multinationals in diverse sectors for years and massive exposure across most aspects of what they do.    More global business here in the last ten years than almost anyone here - that range was exactly why I did it :).   My local family and a lot of my close friends are long-standing employers as well, and so it remains my daily life.  So, sorry, I don`t need to enter some pissing contest about who knows most.    I am way beyond that - miles.

I am no saying it is bad, do not get me wrong.    However, you do not have to be employed here to see that, for example, there is more there is more contract / Zeitarbeit / zero hours than, say 1997.    Statistics tell us that - although I also think it is obvious from one`s family, friends, associates and general social circles.    And a number of my clients consolidated and relocated and such.     Some had been there for almost 100 years but - one takeover - and they were gone.    Another facet of the modern employment market.   By no means unique to Germany of course.

The German media last week reported that economic prognoses are "less optimistic" - it rather crystalised my thoughts.  You want "information"?  Start by reading the local media.   You can google all of that, and all the statistics.   Talk to mates in middle management or above at different places (not just at your own employer).  Talk to people in their 20s about their employment.  Ask your employer`s HR if they offer the same terms to new employees as they do to people there for 10 years.   Just live your life really.  It`s right there.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

And you think it will be better in the UK post-Brexit?

A friend of mine has been working for a car manufacturer in the UK for at least the past 20 yrs and they are currently laying off ppl.

It's a no-brainer really to see how many companies have already left and are planning to leave the UK.

I take no enjoyment in the fact, mind you.

11 minutes ago, swimmer said:

I do not do employment because I run my own business (or did till recently) and so it is more important for me than most to evaluate prospects.  I have had a client base working with a huge range of global multinationals in diverse sectors for years and massive exposure across most aspects of what they do.    More global business here in the last ten years than almost anyone here - that range was exactly why I did it :).   My local family and a lot of my close friends are long-standing employers as well, and so it remains my daily life.  So, sorry, I don`t need to enter some pissing contest about who knows most.    I am way beyond that - miles.

I am no saying it is bad, do not get me wrong.    However, you do not have to be employed here to see that, for example, there is more there is more contract / Zeitarbeit / zero hours than, say 1997.    Statistics tell us that - although I also think it is obvious from one`s family, friends, associates and general social circles.    And a number of those clients consolidated and relocated and such.     Some had been there for almost 100 years but - one takeover - and they were gone.    Another facet of the modern employment market.   By no means unique to Germany of course.

The German media last week reported that economic prognoses are not super good - it rather crystalised my thoughts.  You want "information"?  Start by reading the local media. Talk to mates in middle management or above at different places (not just at your own employer).  Talk to people in their 20s about their employment.  Ask your employer`s HR if they offer the same terms to new employees as they do to people there for 10 years.   Just live your life really.  It`s right there.

Couldn't you have just replied with a yes or a no?

13 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Couldn't you have just replied with a yes or a no?

You did not ask a closed ("yes / no") question.   You asked a personalised open one - what my information was based on.   So I told you.   

3 minutes ago, swimmer said:

You did not ask a closed ("yes / no") question.   You asked an open one: what my information was based on from.   So I told you.

I will re phrase my question.

What is the point of your posts?

Erm, it was a reply to a question that you addressed to me.

You remember?   The one you asked me about an hour ago  -  Where you asked me for information on a topic being discussed here all day and how I know what I do, and in which my profession was (erroneously and irrelevantly) speculated on.   At the end of the day, I at least get my information from my profession and by living and reading newspapers etc :D.  No secret there.  I agree that is actually not exactly insightful...but you did ask.  Sorry, I have no earthshattering secret sources :lol:.

Does there have to be a "point" of posts, as such?  Sometimes of course, but often just communication, interaction, living, whatever...same as a chat or whatever is just that.    

Just now, swimmer said:

Erm, it was a reply to a question that you addressed to me.

You remember?   The one you asked me about an hour ago  -  Where you asked me for some sources of information on the topic being discussed here all day and how I know what I do.

You said there was less job security here. Then you decided to try to confuse everyone with your lack of knowledge. 

Please send me one bit of evidence to prove that there is less job security here. Anything will do.

Oh for goodness`sake.   It is just my one opinion, and I will live my family life according to what I foresee.   It is really nothing for you (or anyone) to even waste a second on - never mind get so stressed.   Of course I am not going to send you stuff because you demand it.  I have told you where you find this data.  Just do the sort of reading or chatting or googling the rest of us do - honestly nothing more.    Even then, you can probably find different info that leads to a different conclusion and even "job security" as a concept is different for different people (one job forever vs wide range of less secure but flexible) and sectors (some will boom, for sure).

If you think my posts are pointless, put me on ignore.   There is really no gain in getting so upset about one random stranger`s opinion... and probably especially if you do not agree.  

1 hour ago, swimmer said:

If you think my posts are pointless, put me on ignore.   There is really no gain in getting so upset about one random stranger`s opinion... and probably especially if you do not agree.  

So is there or is there not less job security here?

You made a statement so full of bull and I called you out on it.

You then decided to confuse me with your pointlessness. 

Please do continue.

10 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

So is there or is there not less job security here?

My post is not directed at you, but at what seems like a general sentiment on the thread.   Pardon me interrupting. 

I see articles like this:  

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-bankjobs/bankfurt-paris-await-brexit-boom-as-banks-stay-loyal-to-london-idUKKCN1PP1ZB

In Frankfurt and Paris, the flood of banking jobs predicted to arrive after Brexit is, for now, little more than a trickle.

It is hard to view the stories of predictions of starvation because trucks cannot pass customs or evacuation plans for the Queen in the event of a no deal Brexit as anything less than scaremongering.   

It might not be as bad as predicted.    That is my current, very flexible opinion.   

With respect to the auto industry, I see a buildup in inventories and a very likely possibility that the industry as a whole has 2-5 years of soft sales and consolidation.    Not advice, but only my opinion.   

One unspoken assumption that seems to be underscoring some of the sentiment here is that prospects in Germany have been better than in the UK, are better, and will be better for the foreseeable future.    25 years out, I think the UK will be better off than Germany (with a 60% probability).     The situation is different for everyone, but some trends cannot be avoided.    People who are switching citizenships should probably look 25 years into the future.  

I will get a post out within the next couple of weeks, and not on this thread, but I think that Germany is basically shooting itself in the foot right now in a number of different ways (illegal migration not being a major one).   Anti-Trump and Brexit headlines are distracting the populace from asking difficult questions.  

Sorry that was not brief.  

Right.  I do not see stories about HMQ as "scaremongering" or whatever.  It is not an emotional thing    It is simply that it has got to that point of the UK authorities having to even address the topic that shows how extreme this mess is - that it happened seems factually correct.  How did it come to that? That is the depressing bit.

Of course its scaremongering!!

The Queen has always had a secret hide-out or two... ALWAYS.. its been that way for Centuries for the head of the royal familly!.