Brexit: The fallout

7,292 posts in this topic

That's the trouble, these tory Tossers are just so out of touch with ordinary people. When did the likes of Teresa and JRM actually have to go through the daily grind of state schooling for the kids, counting the pennies so they could go on holiday, wondering whether their employer is going to make redundencies? I can't think of one tory that actually has to live like the majority of people in the UK.

It's all one big ego trip for them and we let them do it at our expense.

9 minutes ago, French bean said:

It's all one big ego trip for them and we let them do it at our expense.

I will submit a petition on April 1st requesting a new independent inquiry into the handling of immigration at the home office. Expect yo ALL to sign it :D

8 minutes ago, dom said:

I will submit a petition on April 1st requesting a new independent inquiry into the handling of immigration at the home office. Expect yo ALL to sign it :D

Given that you have written " yo " instead of " you ", dom...I think the Home Office will consider you some kind of Jamaican rapper and deny you permission to live in the UK!:lol:

1 minute ago, john g. said:

Given that you have written " yo " instead of " you ", dom...I think the Home Office will consider you some kind of Jamaican rapper and deny you permission to live in the UK!:lol:

B) (no other ethnic emojis on TT)

7 minutes ago, HEM said:

That will be about 10 signatures then...

You only need 5 for it go public

14 minutes ago, john g. said:

Lousy system on here, innit, dom!!!

:rolleyes: ( the best I could do! )

Fishing for likes?? ;)

Daddy, remind me again, why did you vote to leave, in the EU referendum?

braispotting.jpg.9200e3672bf60917335f07a

5 hours ago, dom said:

Windrush victims who are out of a job are the perfect candidates!

But they're all being deported, due to Brexit...

Back to Bentleys, Rolls and the like. The ultra rich Hollywood types, rappers and such don't give a shit where the cars are built. Lambos are big in the rap community at the moment. It's all about the status and the names.

On 11/17/2018, 8:20:06, Keefy said:
On 11/28/2018, 10:29:41, Auswanderer said:
15 hours ago, Krieg said:

Yes, and Turkey is actually doing the opposite, they are negotiating with the EU to join the EU FTAs.

Just want to respond to Krieg. Sorry don't know how to get rid of the other quotes.

Yes, Turkey wants to join the EU FTAs because it could never get them on their own. However, a customs union does not include freedom of movement. I am fairly sure about that. Unless the EU is being mean to the UK.

12 hours ago, Mackle said:

This is all a pipedream, the technology is simply not there.  The EU knows there is no realistic solution to the Irish border and that's why the backstop exists, hey, try whatever solution you might come up with, but as long as your solution doesn't work you stay with us, but once your solution works you are free to go.

If UK think their smart border works, why are they so scared of the backstop?  I tell you why, because they know it won't work in the next 10 years.

42 minutes ago, Krieg said:

This is all a pipedream, the technology is simply not there. 

Of course the technology is there! How do you think the EU has managed to implement free roaming within the EU? Everytime I cross the border into Switzerland my mobile lets me know promptly-within seconds- that I'll be paying more for the internet.

Received this today::)

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Urgent law to extend voting rights to British abroad by repealing 15-year rule.”.

Government responded:

The Government is committed to scrapping the 15 year rule ahead of the 2022 General Election.

In accordance with the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011, the next General Election is scheduled for 2022.

Ahead of the 2022 election, the Government is committed to removing the arbitrary rule that disenfranchises UK nationals who have lived abroad for more than 15 years from participating in UK parliamentary elections. To this end, the Government is supporting Glyn Davies MP's Private Members Bill, the Overseas Electors Bill, which would introduce votes for life for UK nationals living abroad.

As well as removing the time limit on the right to vote for UK nationals living abroad, the Overseas Electors Bill would enfranchise any UK national overseas who was previously resident or registered to vote in the UK. At present, only those UK nationals who were registered to vote before leaving the UK may apply to become overseas electors.

The Bill passed its Committee stage in the House of Commons in November 2018 and the remaining stages will be scheduled soon.

1 hour ago, Namu said:

However, a customs union does not include freedom of movement. I am fairly sure about that. Unless the EU is being mean to the UK.

There is a lot of confusion about what a custom union is (including in the media and seemingly the HoC). A customs union (CU) exists where a group of custom zones (political entities that have the right to levy tariffs) agree to set a common tariff schedule that applies to all members of the CU. For those that are interested, the GATT outlines what a CU is. When goods enter the CU a tariff is paid at the point of entry and then there are no further checks necessary within the CU.

To see why a CU must have an enforceable border consider an analogy. There is a medieval city surrounded by a wall with 5 gates, and each gate 'controls' a zone of the city. All goods coming into the town must pass through on of the five gates, and the same tariff schedule applies to each; a standard customs zone. Because the city is congested, goods pass through the gate closest to where they are used in the city. One gate however, decides to charge a different schedule than the others  in the hope that more factories and shops will open up near it. The gate operator assures the rest of the town that they will perform checks to ensure that products passing through the gate are only intended for use in that gate's zone. Importers will assess whether it is better to import through the cheaper gate and transport across the city, rather than going through the nearest gate with the higher tariff. The other four zones assume that this presents an unfair advantage to the gate with the lower tariff. 

This is why the UK has a choice to be in a CU with the EU and be bound by EU negotiated trade agreements, or go out on their own and have goods inspected at a border. That border could be either the land border in Ireland or in the Irish Sea (keeping NI in the CU). If there is no border between the UK and the EU, and the UK goes ahead and strikes deals with different third countries, the EU tariffs will be circumvented. 

The UK can leave the EU, end free movement, and avoid a hard border with Ireland. The trade-off will be to give up the right to strike their own trade deals; which may be a blessing in disguise. 

18 minutes ago, dom said:

Of course the technology is there! How do you think the EU has managed to implement free roaming within the EU? Everytime I cross the border into Switzerland my mobile lets me know promptly-within seconds- that I'll be paying more for the internet.

So, everything we had to do to stop those pesky financial immigrants pretending to be refugees was tracking their cellphones.  Why didn't you say earlier?   And I am sure once they knew we were tracking their cellphones they wouldn't come with the idea of not having a traceable phone with them.

But again, if the technology is there why UK has a problem with the backstop?

10 minutes ago, Krieg said:

And I am sure once they knew we were tracking their cellphones they wouldn't come with the idea of not having a traceable phone with them.

I'm not saying custom borders should be based on cellphones - but the technology is there.

10 minutes ago, dom said:

I'm not saying custom borders should be based on cellphones - but the technology is there.

No it is not there.   And even with a big push to make it kind of work in the next couple of years it will be too expensive to implement it in the real world in a big scale.

The same reason why we still do not have RFID labels in all supermarket products to remove the payment stations, and actually the whole thing will probably be abandoned and we will move towards cameras and AI.

And then even if you manage to implement it, it will only solve the problem of border crossing goods and people when they want to play by the rules. 

Again, if the technology is there, then why is UK so scared of the backstop?