Brexit: The fallout

7,314 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

Noraid is neither here nor there these days. Brexit was orchestrated in Moscow. A few more roubles for the reactivated IRA to further destabilise Western Europe is no problem. The Soviets (and Americans) fought proxy wars in Africa and elsewhere for decades. It wouldn't be anything new, just a different theatre of operations. The British public have been massively mislead unfortunately. Some all too willingly.

Indeed. Check out this article on the Brexit Dark Money. It's all there: Arron Banks, the NI connection, money laundering, mercenary military propagandists...a network that has yet to fully come to light.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexitinc/brexit-dark-money-and-big-data

11 hours ago, French bean said:

The ability of US businesses to buy UK companies but restrictions put on UK companies wanting to buy US businesses.

And Daniel Hannan wants to make it easier for US companies to have central government contracts in the UK, and have them bound by US laws not UK ones...

11 hours ago, French bean said:
12 minutes ago, john_b said:

Indeed. Check out this article on the Brexit Dark Money. It's all there: Arron Banks, the NI connection, money laundering, mercenary military propagandists...a network that has yet to fully come to light.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexitinc/brexit-dark-money-and-big-data

And possibly never will...

By the way, on the subject of Arron Banks, I did get Nigel Farage to explode on air during his LBC show by mentioning this name. Basically, he had a show debating whether it was right that MEPs and MPs were involved in groups that had been bankrolled to the tune of millions by George Soros, and was it right that Soros should use his money to influence politicians in ways that had far reaching consequences for the populous, and I asked what was the difference between George Soros spending his money and Arron Banks spending his money. Nigel's response was to start shouting (almost like a child having a tantrum about something totally unreasonable) about what a "great patriot and saviour of the British" people Banks' was, and how he had earned the right to spend his money on whatever he wanted but he was "gracious and compassionate enough" to want to spend it on the "best interests of Britain and it's people "

6 minutes ago, Mackle said:

And possibly never will...

By the way, on the subject of Arron Banks, I did get Nigel Farage to explode on air during his LBC show by mentioning this name. Basically, he had a show debating whether it was right that MEPs and MPs were involved in groups that had been bankrolled to the tune of millions by George Soros, and was it right that Soros should use his money to influence politicians in ways that had far reaching consequences for the populous, and I asked what was the difference between George Soros spending his money and Arron Banks spending his money. Nigel's response was to start shouting (almost like a child having a tantrum about something totally unreasonable) about what a "great patriot and saviour of the British" people Banks' was, and how he had earned the right to spend his money on whatever he wanted but he was "gracious and compassionate enough" to want to spend it on the "best interests of Britain and it's people "

Can I buy you a drink?!! Well played, Sir!

19 hours ago, murphaph said:

Here's a serious shot across the UK bows from Irish America (a President cannot afford to ignore this demographic): 

"There is also the question of the Irish American lobby"

I don't even think it's a question, more a fact - there are lots of accounts from British Diplomats in Washington about how the Irish are the envy of the rest of the Washington-based diplomatic community, and that this is perfectly illustrated by how seriously Washington takes St. Patrick's Day celebrations. 

There is an Irish presence in both houses, in advisory roles to the President, in influential lobby groups and think-tanks. It's often mentioned how Cameron asked Obama to come over and play a cameo role in the Brexit referendum campaign, but I wonder how much of the decision for Obama to agree to this was down to the strong Irish connection within the Whitehouse and it's connected groups and organisations.

10 minutes ago, john_b said:

Can I buy you a drink?!! Well played, Sir!

You can, but not only is it a long way to Berlin from here, but if it turns out that you aren't really like Sgt. Wilson from Dad's Army I will be soooo disappointed.

I never know if Farage quite realises that he is Arron Banks' puppet, or if he is fully aware and enjoys it.

I think Farage, like Trump want to be in the Big Boy's gang and are being used and they're too stupid to realise it.

Yup, classic useful idiots, although not sure they care as long as the money and attention rolls in. Once those bigboys understood dullard greedy embittered righties were the easy pickings for them, they had a clear path.

Anyway, I am still working on "no deal".  I can see a path where May has to extend A50 or even rule out no deal. Mainly because the UK is on its own: EU has not blinked (and has Ireland's back), Leave leaders and business are jumping ship, and the US or whoever the UK imagined would do it has not run to the rescue.  But I will not plan on that basis till it happens.  Do not see election or 2nd ref so much as not enough time (and decision makers have no guarantee of outcome, is risky for them).

8 minutes ago, swimmer said:

I will not plan on that basis till it happens.

Agreed, everything is too unpredictable to plan against at the moment.

Wetherspoon owner Tim Martin talking utter bollocks here.

Make Britain great again by simply replacing a known brand with an inferior product while paying shit wages.

As we import 80% of our flowers from the Netherlands, you can make a present for Mothering Sunday from old beer mats.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dx2bYnlWwAA0FLe.jpg

19 hours ago, hooperski said:

Make Britain great again by simply replacing a known brand with an inferior product while paying shit wages.

As we import 80% of our flowers from the Netherlands, you can make a present for Mothering Sunday from old beer mats.

Yes - turn the UK into China, why don't you!

Swap BMWs for TATAs??! No thanks!

And what Wetherspoons don't realise is that it is the high quality of industrial goods that matter! No wonder Dyson wants to relocate his Headquarters!

I think we all need to agree..

Brexit or Remain.   The UK has fucked up... 

It turned into a "pub fight" with Drunks and Druggies "Vs" LardieDahs and Sheep.. 

No matter who wins, They are still losers!

19 hours ago, hooperski said:

Hmm, they replaced one brand, and saw an increase in sales in one category of drinks. It's a shame that most journalists are too statistically illiterate to ask them what the trend was before the change, how the Jägermeister sales compared to those of Strika, or why they didn't either do a random trial of different stores or even, God forbid, put them side by side and see what consumers want?

3 minutes ago, Auswanderer said:

God forbid, put them side by side and see what consumers want?

This.  If you go to a bar and they don't sell the beer you like and they only have crap beer, well, you might drink crap beer.  If crap beer is cheaper than my regular beer I might even drink more crap beer if my budget were limited.   But this does not mean I am happy about drinking crap beer and definitely I would be pissed if only crap beer is available everywhere.

The most ridiculous thing is how they want to scale drunktard logic to the whole range of goods and services.  And then they even made a poor choice, because almost no one goes out to get drunk with Jägermeister, that's a drink you usually order when you are already tipsy and want to get pissed.   By then you can replace it with whatever that is similar, like Averna, Ramazzoti, or even Boonekamp for Lidl.

45 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I think we all need to agree..

Brexit or Remain.   The UK has fucked up... 

It turned into a "pub fight" with Drunks and Druggies "Vs" LardieDahs and Sheep.. 

No matter who wins, They are still losers!

You're right there!

2019 sees the bottom of the pan of two of the oldest western democracies:

- the UK parliament allowing the country's needs to be ignored for 2.5 years because they just can't compromise

- the US government being "shut down" due to one f*cked up bully not wanting to budge on his position

Maybe we should bring back dicatorship!

Brexit planners are looking at the possibility of imposing martial law in Britain in the event of a “no-deal”, it has emerged.

Legislation which gives ministers the powers to impose curfews and travel bans, confiscate property and deploy the armed forces is being examined by Whitehall officials, the Sunday Times reports.

Powers available under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 could be used to stop civil disobedience after Britain leaves the EU, according to the newspaper.

Tick, tock...