Brexit: The fallout

3,654 posts in this topic

I didn't think dj-jay's post was good enough to be quoted twice 馃槈

26 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

I didn't think dj-jay's post was good enough to be quoted twice 馃槈

Sorry, but I must disagree!

I think the whole Windrush issue is interesting because it helps us understand why we have some types of migration. I didn't know about this until I looked it up on Wikipedia聽聽It reminds us of why there are a lot of black people in Britain - because Britain ASKED them to come over and help rebuild after the war. A bit like Germany with the Turks.

Now if only people could be reminded of why there are so many middle eastern immigrants in Europe (partly causing the UK to vote Brexit) - because we've bombed the shit out their countries and de-stabilized their governments.聽

We're reaping what we've sown.聽:(

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

I think the whole Windrush issue is interesting because it helps us understand why we have some types of migration. I didn't know about this until I looked it up on Wikipedia聽聽It reminds us of why there are a lot of black people in Britain - because Britain ASKED them to come over and help rebuild after the war. A bit like Germany with the Turks.

Now if only people could be reminded of why there are so many middle eastern immigrants in Europe (partly causing the UK to vote Brexit) - because we've bombed the shit out their countries and de-stabilized their governments.聽

We're reaping what we've sown.聽:(

It's only natural to want more and better for yourself and your family.聽 So people are drawn towards places where they think they can improve their way of life for themselves, or more likely their children.聽 聽So people more to richer countries, take low paying jobs, work hard, and watch as their children reap聽the benefits of a better quality of life, better education, longer life expectancy etc

This desire has nothing to do with race or religion, but is human nature.聽聽

And it benefits the countries them move to, because they have/had a shortage of people willing or able to do such jobs, so they can fill these and boost the economy.聽 So it is a win win situation.

So if you want to stop immigration, then you simply have to make your country less desirable!聽 Which appears to be the UK tactic聽with Brexit!聽 And the USA tactic with Trump!

Brexit minister reveals how MPs can force Theresa May to accept fresh referendum

MPs will be able聽to forceTheresa Mayto accept a fresh referendum onBrexitin a showdown vote as early as the autumn,聽a minister has conceded.

In a surprise admission,Steve Bakersaid the crucial vote on the exit deal would not 鈥 as expected 鈥 be a 鈥渢ake-it-or-leave-it鈥 choice, because 鈥減arliament can always seek to amend motions鈥.

Interesting聽

The Shows never over till the fat lady sings聽

Edit. Pigs might fly too

It isnt may that needs to be convinced. 聽She is and always has been anti brexit.

聽It is the british people who, rightly or wrongly, for whatever reason voted for it and would be the people needed to get onside.

3 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

It isnt may that needs to be convinced. 聽She is and always has been anti brexit.

I wouldn't really say that. She is for Brexit. She played her cards during the referendum by not really getting involved.

5 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

5addabed089e2_stgeorge.jpg.ccc5b11f1495a

Not sure if this is intended as dumb brexiteer propaganda or...

Ah, it's the St. George time of year again.聽

Government defeated in the Lords again. This time over the EU human rights charter.聽

On 4/20/2018, 11:12:37, dj_jay_smith said:

So if you want to stop immigration, then you simply have to make your country less desirable!聽 Which appears to be the UK tactic聽with Brexit!聽 And the USA tactic with Trump!

Does the UK want to stop immigration? After the recent commonwealth meeting in London, I thought the UK is lobbying for more commonwealth trade post brexit. This will mean taking in more commonwealth immigrants! Windrush II聽

Just now, dom said:

Does the UK want to stop immigration? After the recent commonwealth meeting in London, I thought the UK is lobbying for more commonwealth trade post brexit. This will mean taking in more commonwealth immigrants! Windrush II聽

I think the government knows that they need immigration, and big business certainly pushes for this.聽 But at the same time they know that main reason the pro-brexit voted as such is because of immigration. So this is why they only ever talk of "target immigration levels" and not a complete ban (although so far they always vastly exceed their targets!).

Of course they want more commonwealth trade, but this does not necessarily mean more commonwealth immigration.聽 For example that India has said that they would do more trade with the UK in return for visa free or reduced visa requirements for Indians coming to the UK, as they know that this will boast their IT sector.聽 But of course the UK isn't keen on this.

3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But of course the UK isn't keen on this.

yes of course not! Why's that exactly??

check out 2:13: britain is the best country in the world!!聽B)

20 minutes ago, dom said:

check out 2:13: britain is the best country in the world!!聽B)

"..maybe not to live!".

Very good, you couldn't have made it up!聽

I think you could also post this on the Complete fail thread.

42 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What is the "heating allowance" that they aren't getting in Spain?

Never heard of that one.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

Eligible pensioners can claim if they are living in Switzerland or the EU excepting聽聽Cyprus, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Spain or France .聽 Is not means tested.

3 hours ago, snowingagain said:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

Eligible pensioners can claim if they are living in Switzerland or the EU excepting聽聽Cyprus, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Spain or France .聽 Is not means tested.

Maybe I qualify (born before 5 August 1953, live in the EU, not currently in jail...)

1 minute ago, HEM said:

Maybe I qualify (born before 5 August 1953, live in the EU, not currently in jail...)

Ask them.聽 Do you get UK state pension?聽聽