Brexit: The fallout

4,896 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But of course the UK isn't keen on this.

yes of course not! Why's that exactly??

check out 2:13: britain is the best country in the world!! B)

20 minutes ago, dom said:

check out 2:13: britain is the best country in the world!! B)

"..maybe not to live!".

Very good, you couldn't have made it up! 

I think you could also post this on the Complete fail thread.

42 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What is the "heating allowance" that they aren't getting in Spain?

Never heard of that one.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

Eligible pensioners can claim if they are living in Switzerland or the EU excepting  Cyprus, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Spain or France .  Is not means tested.

3 hours ago, snowingagain said:

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

Eligible pensioners can claim if they are living in Switzerland or the EU excepting  Cyprus, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Spain or France .  Is not means tested.

Maybe I qualify (born before 5 August 1953, live in the EU, not currently in jail...)

1 minute ago, HEM said:

Maybe I qualify (born before 5 August 1953, live in the EU, not currently in jail...)

Ask them.  Do you get UK state pension?  

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎00‎:‎01, RenegadeFurther said:

I wouldn't really say that. She is for Brexit. She played her cards during the referendum by not really getting involved.

I dunno does she feel very strongly one way or the other, or if she does she doesn't show it. She doesn't strike me as being very ideological.

You can no longer claim Winter Fuel Allowance for Winter 2017/18, I just checked :(

16 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Ask them.

Clearly I should do so.

Do you get UK state pension?  

Yes - from 26 years NI contributions (& also a DE state pension & Betriebsrenten..)

A patchwork of pensions eben...

You can no longer claim Winter Fuel Allowance for Winter 2017/18

Since I only retired in DE as of February thats not going to count - but my UK state pension was as of July 2017.  Ah well - next Winter maybe.

Of course the German FA will want to tax it even if its "tax-free" in the UK per HMRC.

Brexit: Britons set to be charged €7 fee to visit EU countries under new Brussels plans

The European Union is moving forward with plans to charge travellers coming from countries outside the single market a €7 “travel authorisation fee” to cross into its territory, under a new system of checks designed to improve security on the bloc’s borders.

British travellers are likely to be hit by the scheme after Brexit, which is set to apply to all visa-exempt countries outside the EU, except those in the EEA/EFTA, which maintain free movement with the union. 

Under the new European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) people coming into the Schengen area would need to fill out an online form ahead of their trip and apply for travel authorisation, as well as pay the fee.

Well, it is 3 pounds less than what was initially proposed so silver lining time

and in other news,

Home Office withdraws Border Force job ads over discrimination fears

The government has withdrawn a recruitment campaign for 1,000 Border Force officers after discrimination concerns were raised in Northern Ireland because the jobs were restricted to British passport holders.

The Equality Commission for Northern Ireland contacted the Home Office to point out the adverts were potentially unlawful under the Good Friday agreement.

Eileen Lavery, head of advice and compliance at the commission, said the Home Office recruitment “could exclude a large section of the Northern Ireland population who identify as Irish, hold no UK passport and, in many cases, hold an Irish passport”.

UK liable for 'divorce bill' even with no Brexit trade deal – NAO chief

The UK will have to pay its Brexit “divorce bill” of up to £39bn even if no agreement is reached on a future trade deal with the EU, the head of Whitehall’s spending watchdog has said.

The head of the National Audit Office (NAO), Sir Amyas Morse, said on Tuesday that if parliament approves the withdrawal agreement in a vote in the autumn, it will become a legally binding treaty regardless of the success of separate trade talks.

His remarks are a blow for Theresa May, who has said she will not pay Brussels the money if it denies Britain a post-Brexit trade deal. The prime minister told the Commons in December that the cash offer was made “in the context of us agreeing the partnership for the future”. “If we don’t agree that partnership, then this offer is off the table,” she said.

That sounds pretty mean, LeCheese! Even in pre-EU days, you could travel without paying a fee...I go back that far. The EU would not be doing itself any favours if they introduce that fee. 

Irony...many Brexit voters probably voted as such because of the poor image of European border security at the height of the refugee crisis,

I don't think that $10 would stop any American etc. from traveling over here.

Maybe it is meant to keep the Brits out.

:ph34r:

This planned a long go to tighten up on border security.  For the 60 non EU countries with no visa requirement.  It is valid for 3 years. 

Sounds like extra control at the border. 

No Brexit supporter could complain about that could they.. 

Let's face it, such a low fee would not put anybody off coming into the EU. 

It is just a money raising trick under the guise of "increased border security".