Brexit: The fallout

3,654 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, dom said:

Hopefully this will hold true. However, if the pound takes a nose dive after brexit, expats will be screwed and there will certainly be no safety nets for that!

I thought the pound is set to soar!

On the other hand I heard a suggestion of two pounds to the Euro...

UK will be £615m per week worse off under government's preferred Brexit scenario, estimates study

The government’s preferred Brexit scenario would leave the UK public finances £615m per week worse off than staying in the EU, according to new analysis.

That would mean the country has the equivalent of almost £1bn per week less to spend on public services than the £350m positive benefit that the Leave campaign claimed would result from leaving the EU.

A study for the think tank Global Future carried out by Jonathan Portes, a professor of economics at King’s College, London, looked at each of the three scenarios assessed by the governmentin its own leaked analysis.

Where`s that red bus when you need it :P

Looking "forward" to brexit, I'm wondering whether anyone will be eligible to stay in the UK post march 2019, considering the shameful "windrush" situation: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-43806710

I don't see much point in keeping the "united" in united kingdom much longer. :unsure:

People have lost their jobs, pensions and homes and denied NHS treatment.

May's response yesterday?

"I want to be absolutely clear: We have no intention of asking anyone to leave who has the right to remain here. For those who have mistakenly received letters challenging them -- I want to apologize to them and I want to say sorry to anyone who has been caused confusion or anxiety felt as a result of this."

The UK has already done some shitty stuff to EU citzens who have been in the UK long term, but have trouble proving it due to lack of documents.

6 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

"I want to be absolutely clear: We have no intention of asking anyone to leave who has the right to remain here. For those who have mistakenly received letters challenging them -- I want to apologize to them and I want to say sorry to anyone who has been caused confusion or anxiety felt as a result of this."

The UK has already done some shitty stuff to EU citzens who have been in the UK long term, but have trouble proving it due to lack of documents.

Reminds me of this:

5ad84f13a41b7_hqdefault1.jpg.96d9ba4aff8

6 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Standard political way.

People found out, blame other party, apologise.

Trying to blame the opposition for destroying papers only needed as you are trying to deport people is beyond shame.

13 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Not just EU citizens:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/woman-irene-clennell-uk-deport-singapore-british-husband-durham-immigration-detention-centre-a7601441.html

A woman who has lived in the UK for nearly 30 years with her British husband has been deported to Singapore

She had been living near Durham with her husband. She has two British sons, as well as a granddaughter, in the UK.

She was given indefinite leave to remain in the country after marrying Mr Clennell in 1990, but lost this when she returned to Singapore to care for her parents when they were dying.

2 hours ago, cb6dba said:

Standard political way.  People found out, blame other party, apologise.

The guy with prostate cancer who has been refused NHS radiotherapy due to start in November 2017 (unless he forks up 54,000 GBP) heard May in PMQ yesterday saying "sorry about that, but it has now all been sorted out".  He has heard nothing, nor has the Royal Marsden about this.  

Britain wants the EU to protect its products from imitation post-Brexit, but is reluctant to return the favour

UK wants to keep benefits of EU's 'geographical indications' scheme but is reluctant to follow the other rules.

The Government wants the EU’s “geographical indications” system to keep protecting British foods like Stilton and Cornish pasties from imitation after Brexit – but has been unable to secure an agreement with Brussels on the issue because it is not committing to protecting EU products in return.

Of course, it is the EU`s fault :P

Britain wants...

Britain wants...

Britain wants...

There seems to be a lot of such stories that "Post Brexit Britain wants....", which is why this store below from the BBC made me laugh!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43788080

...there's a distinctly laid-back air in Brussels at the moment when it comes to Brexit.

"Besides which," ... "we know the Brexit drill by now.

"The UK makes a fuss, tells us things are unacceptable - like the financial settlement (the so-called Brexit bill), and like allowing EU citizens the right to stay permanently in the UK, even if they only move there in the transition period after Brexit - but the British Government gives in, in the end. Even if they dress up the fact to make it more acceptable at home."

The line about leaving with the Tory party intact sums the thing up.

On 4/6/2018, 9:06:57, hellfire99 said:

Please stop this ridiculous sock puppet posting

Wonder we do, what use for a sock puppet you have.

If a man rants and no one sees it, is he just talking to himself?

On 4/17/2018, 8:32:04, El Jeffo said:

No, I'm cb6dba's 5th account!

WTF no... I'm.. ..

9 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:
9 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Not just EU citizens:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/woman-irene-clennell-uk-deport-singapore-british-husband-durham-immigration-detention-centre-a7601441.html

Absolutely disgraceful and no differentiation between genuine residents of whatever background and " genuine illegals "..really disgusting and it makes me ashamed to come from there. The Windrush issue just adds to my anger.