Brexit: The fallout

10,719 posts in this topic

A follow-on from the recently closed (Dec 2016) topic on "Brexit: UK referendum on leaving the EU. How it affects British expats"... Let's see where this snow ball eventually ends up.

First's first: anyone got anything against me (re-)starting this topic??

Absolutely. It must have been closed by one of the many who confused vote with finished process. Or maybe the thread ended up as a very soiled sandpit, I don't remember.

My personal post-vote journey has just taken a move forward as we passed our B1 tests. Yippee!!

According to a reliable source (The Daily Mirror) it can take up to 10 years before Brexit is a fact, so please go ahead.

Found work here, no need for certificates to do what I am doing. I speak German, that's enough qualification for the job!

Edit: apart for the last few weeks the weather has generally been a lot nicer here.

Cost of living? HIGH sometimes..if you are a foreigner and dealing with Greek (or who delegate to Albanians!!) workers for stuff you need eg electricians, plumbers, masons...you pay foreigner prices without the guarantees, without insurance, without bills (written ones )...

You can pay a lot for decent clothing (no chain stores but often " Daddy has set me up for this boutique with one customer a day " ) and medicine can be expensive ( though sometimes without the need for a doc prescription..they are not so heavy here!!).

You pay foreigner prices at a vet because Greeks don´t go often..it´s the foreigners...:D

Mind you: get a good Greek doc, dentist  etc ON YOUR SIDE ie mutual empathy/sympathy/my cousin knows your ex-wife stuff..and you can arrange prices, services..and you learn to appreciate the lovely side of Greeks ie get on their personal side and take it easy.

FEWER examples in my time here ( nearly three years ) of a final warning to pay this or that stupid bill than in Germany!

Weather a better deal than in Germany mostly! Mind you, right now..jeez...it´s been in the news...

The roof of a ruin next door collapsed last night due to severe storms/rain/snow/sleet. I happen to own it...repair will cost a couple of grand, no bills, no receipts but some friendly Albanians tomorrow and for the next couple of days!!!

Sun hopefully the next couple of days and Greece is a weird place..and I would miss it tremendously if I had to leave tomorrow ( mind you for the umpteenth time..the animal situation...SO MANY dogs and cats to deal with and the locals make sure YOU as a foreigner in the village are aware of the fact they basically don´t care but you are a stupid foreigner... and my partner and I ...well, yes , we are..but, my God, such lovely dogs on Crete..sigh...)

2 hours ago, HEM said:

Why are all / many / at least 3 TTers running off to Greece?

3? Who is the third? Just in case you were thinking of me: I´m in Cyprus, but that isn´t even on the list TT offers. Therefore I chose Greece as it seemed the closest match. I also had a job for which command of German seemed the only qualification needed. Didn´t enjoy it though and quit after a few weeks.

Uncle Nick and moi, jeba! But I know Cyprus isn´t Greece! And TT doesn´t allow me to have Hamburg and Crete as two homes simultaneously...the profile thing doesn´t allow flexibility! I tried to edit my profile..doesn´t work...

we're all agreed then: Brexit hasn't yet happened. And you don't need the Daily Mail to know that it will take >10 years for the negotiations to come to a conclusion. It probably takes this amount of time just to read through the EU laws that need renegotiation! :blink:

Summary of events to date:

1. Referendum June 2016 results (majorities):

Total 52% leave; Scotland 62% remain; N Ireland 56% remain; Wales 53% leave

Sterling drops to 26-year low.

2. PM Cameron resigns; Farage resigns as UKIP leader; Johnson pulls out of leadership race; May becomes PM; Davis becomes "Brexit" Minister; Labour in disarray: Corburn re-elected as leader.

3. Government slogan "Brexit means Brexit" later adjusted to mean "hard Brexit by end March 2017"

4. Petitions against referendum debated and lead to nothing

5. Government sued by a hair dresser...court rules that parliamentary vote required for enacting Art.50. Parliament subsequently votes to support Government.

6. N Ireland, Scotland and Wales all sue Government over Brexit alleging lack of concensus on what Brexit negotiations should include.

7. Sir Ivan Rogers, UK permanent representative to the EU resigns. He allegedly told Cameron recently: May is leading the UK to crash out of the EU with nothing:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sir-ivan-rogers-brexit-secret-talks-david-cameron-prime-minister-theresa-may-eu-ambassador-a7515541.html

15 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

it can take up to 10 years before Brexit is a fact,

Given that it took Iceland 2 years just to work out fishing rights, I'm guessing this statement is very true.

What rights does Iceland have besides fishing rights? Fishing is their most important livelihood next to tourism. Banking didn't work out well.

17 hours ago, Uncle Nick said:

Edit: apart for the last few weeks the weather has generally been a lot nicer here.

One winter back in the '80s, I was visiting a friend in Athens and woke up one morning to 6 inches of snow...

I just wish May would stop her babbling, every time she says anything about Brexit the pound plunges again...