Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dressing for a job interview

12 posts in this topic

Is it customary when attending an interview in Germany to wear a suit and tie? Or, should one's attire be more indicative of the job itself? Obviously, I wouldn't wear jeans and a t'shirt to a corporate interview. However, does a nice polo and khakis suffice for a less formal working environment? 

Suit and tie is customary in Germany, even for jobs that have a less formal working environment. Showing up in anything less may or may not work for you, all depends on the interviewer - but the primary message it sends is that you didn't care enough to dress "properly".

I would suggest shirt, trousers (no jeans or khakis), jacket and black or brown shoes (no trainers or boots).

Better a little overdressed than underdressed.

As the others said, it all depends. Are you interviewing at a bank or a law firm? Then definitely a conservative suit and tie. Are you interviewing at a start-up? Then US business casual should be safe. I think it doesn't hurt to ask, either the interviewing manager or a contact at the company if you have one.

3 hours ago, the.frollein said:

Suit and tie is customary in Germany, even for jobs that have a less formal working environment. 

Showing up at JvM or Panama or any other ad agency in Stuttgart, applying for a job as an AD or copywriter and wearing suit and tie would definitely be a stunner. But wearing a woolen hipster beanie during the interview is a must. ;) 

30% of the energy our bodies need, leaves our body as heat through our heads.

People using hats, caps etc. inside buildings only show, that their brain is not working.

If you have the time, you could go to their office several days before the interview and see how people are dressed. This gives you an impression of the dress code. If you go for an interview with the Big 4 (accountancy firms) you either have dark blue or black suits. Keeps it simple 😀. A lady friend of mine was once wearing a red dress and then she got a reprimand. No crazy stuff.

21 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

30% of the energy our bodies need, leaves our body as heat through our heads.

People using hats, caps etc. inside buildings only show, that their brain is not working.

Yup, but it doesn't need a hat, cap or whatever to show that ones brain is not working. At least two braindeads used TTs neg-button to  demonstrate it.