Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting Jalapeños and other foods here in Frankfurt

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

i just got for Christmas a very nice cookbook from the States and I have been dying to try the recipes, BUT I haven't been able to find many of the ingredients here: e.g. real jalapeños (that shit in REWE - red and yellow chiles- doesn't even sting your tongue) or nutritional yeast. Where do you guys get your fix of Mexican food ingredients here in the Main metropole?

Hi,

go to Kleinmarkthalle (https://goo.gl/maps/TfPFstzpqsG2). There are two places inside that sell from Rewe boring stuff to extremely hot. Also, you should check out Kleinmarkthalle anyway. Pretty cool...

chris

I've never seen fresh jalapeños in Frankfurt. The Spanish version of the jalapeño, "pimientos de Padrón", which are labeled here as "Bratpaprika" have become very common lately and they look just like jalapeños but they have no heat. I always buy tinned jalapeñols from the Turkish supermarkets. They are better and much cheaper than that overpriced Fuego branded crap they sell at REWE.

The Kleinmarkthalle is fantastic but I prefer to explore the Asian / Indian / Middle Eastern shops  in the Bahnhofviertel because you get better prices. Most Asian shops carry habaneros / scotch bonnets and PAN corn meal for empanadas. Maseca and frozen corn tortillas you can get from Venos in Rödelheim or from Jimmy Wong's stand in the Kleinmarkthalle. Venos is a (huge) Italian shop but they carry some Latin American ingredients, and Jimmy Wong's stand is Asian/Latin American.

And do try the Asia shop in hauptbahnhof (b level). Cheap and they sell fresh stuff too. And tons of canned/frozen goods... And open on Sunday!

17 hours ago, FigN said:

e.g. real jalapeños (that shit in REWE - red and yellow chiles- doesn't even sting your tongue) or nutritional yeast.

You can buy nutritional yeast (in German: Hefeflocken) at BASIC Bio supermarkets. According to their website, there are 2  BASIC Bio stores in the Frankfurt area. Other health-food/organic food stores probably sell it as well. It's good stuff!

My Munich BASIC Bio store sells fresh jalapenos, depending on the time of year. I last saw them back in the summer.  Availability might be based on the local area, though.

Cool, thanks a lot for your answers, off I go to the Bahnhof viertel, hope not to get murdered or something... 

Venos I know very well, I have been many times there but never saw the corn tortillas, I will ask Giovanni there !!!

The corn tortillas at Venos used to be with the frozen foods. I haven't been in a long time so maybe they don't have them any more.