How to get German Citizenship and retain (dual) US Citizenship

533 posts in this topic

Thanks for your advice :D but adopting is not an option!

Anyway, stay safe and healthy

Cheers

Paulaner

20 hours ago, paul.aner said:

Thanks for your advice :D but adopting is not an option!

Anyway, stay safe and healthy

Cheers

Paulaner

Did your spouse manage to identify any exceptional circumstances? Just curious.

I emailed the U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt to get details on the costs and process of renunciation in writing. The auto-reply contained the following:

How do I renounce my U.S. citizenship?  At this time, renunciations are on hold per Department of State policy. Once we are permitted to begin processing renunciations, we will email you to schedule an appointment.  Start by clicking here to find out what documents and information are needed. Once you have collected the documents, email them to us at FrankfurtPassports@state.gov to start the process.  

That should make our argument easier, right? At least I'd say this is an additional unzumutbare hardship, especially since they're not giving a date when they can process applications again... Does anybody know what the reason for this might be?

And thinking about adoptions: Maybe I should get my parents to adopt me since I've gotten German citizenship through them once before! I lost it "voluntarily" when I took on  U.S. citizenship. Now I am trying to get the German one back without losing the U.S. citizenship... So this is why I am here! (Before you ask: I got my U.S. citizenship before it was possible to petition the German government to retain the German citizenship - Beibehaltung. That only became possible about a year later... My crystal ball had malfunctioned...)

20 minutes ago, RavenB said:

Before you ask: I got my U.S. citizenship before it was possible to petition the German government to retain the German citizenship - Beibehaltung. That only became possible about a year later... My crystal ball had malfunctioned...

What year was that?

I don’t want to get too excited just yet, but the SPD and Greens both have allowing dual citizenship as part of their platforms. We’ll see how it works out, but there’s now a very dim light shining at the end of a very long tunnel…

Hello everyone, I've followed this forum for a while now and it's helped me out a lot attaining the dual citizenship. 

My story on how I've gotten the approval for dual citizenship. I went the loophole route with the renunciation fee. I applied first in NRW were my caseworker didn't have any idea how the process was with keeping the American passport. He said I must give it up, I showed him all the documents from online etc about the cost and it being too high. He then said that my wife makes to much money. He didn't calculate anything he just said no. So I decided to change my address to where my wife parents live in Niedersachen which I have a better chance of keeping the american passport because of be working there for the past previous 6 years. When I applied for the passport in Niedersachen it was an easy process. It just took sometime for the background check to come back. Once he received that he asked my for my last 3 months pay stub from me and my wife. My working contract and an official letter from the embassy regarding the cost of the renunciation fee. After all this was handed in I got my letter that my application was approved.

Im a professional basketball player and our contracts are usually 8-10 months at a time which mean I wasn't able to apply for the passport using  the 6-8 years time frame even though I have B2 language course. Im here working since 2012. which I thought I could apply for the passport after 6 years with the B2, but  I was able to apply once I was married for 3 years. I hope this helps everyone and you have any questions feel free to ask.