How to get German Citizenship and retain (dual) US Citizenship

445 posts in this topic

Thank you!

Why do you say 3 years is too early?

The StAR-VwV clearly states: 

“Zu § 9 Einbürgerung von Ehegatten Deutscher

Erforderlich ist in der Regel ein Aufenthalt im Inland von drei Jahren.”

StAR-VwV

Seeing that I have to sign the form, ultimately signing that I am willing to give up my citizenship upon request, I don’t see how I can hand in my application since I am clearly not willing to fulfill this requirement. I have emailed them about it but they just sent a standard response to come by during their office hours which is basically impossible given that I am working full-time.

Thanks again

On 1/26/2020, 10:21:12, Elkos said:

Absolutely no hassle in Hamburg. Extremely easy, as long as you meet all the requirements...3 years is too early...

If you need more info regarding Hamburg you can contact me.

I PM'd you. 

On 20.1.2020, 08:32:29, Funkndunk said:

Hey @cybil congrats! Can you please share everything you had to do? How was the application process, etc? It seemed stressful. I’m now in B2 and will apply for the citizenship early next year and will try to go for dual citizenship. I have my first appointment to speak with the Einbürgerungbüro in the next months but I’m kind of nervous reading everything here. If you have any topics I should bring up, please let me know! I’m hoping this will work out!!!! Congrats again!!

Thanks @Funkndunk!

First go to your local Rathaus and say you would like information about Einbürgerung. Each Rathaus has their own requirements for what documents you need to provide. They might ask you some basic questions at that point like:

-can I please see your Aufenthaltserlaubnis

-how long have you lived here/are you married to a German 

-have you taken the B1 test and Einbürgerungs test (if not, go sign up for them at your nearest VHS)

after that they may give you an application to take home and fill out, along with a checklist of documents to bring back with you (like last three months' salary statements and those of your partner, handwritten Lebenslauf in narrative form, passport photos, a small fee to get the process rolling, etc.) 

Take your time to gather your stuff. There's no rush for Americans trying for dual citizenship!

On 1/22/2017, 9:08:05, kaffeemitmilch said:

Well, AND that our kids have dual citizenship NO QUESTIONS ASKED, but we? Can we claim hypocrisy as a reason? We could call it inconsistency. Surely, the Germans would want to avoid THAT.

@cybil I have appointment in March with them, B1 is complete, integration course is complete, all personal documents already are translated to german. I only need to make with them that I meet the “specially integrated” for 6 years. They’ll be able to tell me at our consultation meeting. I already volunteer and currently doing B2 and have permanent visa, have german daughter although not married. I will reach 6 years residence in around 8 months and hope this is enough for them to give me the application, required documents and a follow up appointment. Let’s hope I get good news from them at my initial meeting.  :)  I’ll keep everyone posted! 

On 13.2.2020, 13:26:57, Funkndunk said:

@cybil I have appointment in March with them, B1 is complete, integration course is complete, all personal documents already are translated to german. I only need to make with them that I meet the “specially integrated” for 6 years. They’ll be able to tell me at our consultation meeting. I already volunteer and currently doing B2 and have permanent visa, have german daughter although not married. I will reach 6 years residence in around 8 months and hope this is enough for them to give me the application, required documents and a follow up appointment. Let’s hope I get good news from them at my initial meeting.  :)  I’ll keep everyone posted! 

Good luck! It's wonderful that you are already moving on and in the B2 course, keep going! 

@cybil congrats!

Has anyone successfully gotten their dual citizenship through Bavaria or in RP (Rheinland-Pfalz). I did the preliminary interview with the Beamter in Bavaria and rejected my request to keep my US passport. I don't have a problem putting together an appeal if I know I have chance. I already had to do this to keep my driver's license. And now for personal family estate reasons it is even more important for me to keep my citizenship but the Beamter said that didn't matter. We might be moving to RP (not for another year or two) so I wasn't sure if it was better to try and take up my case there or keep trying here in Bavaria. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

8 hours ago, zsarah001 said:

@cybil congrats!

Has anyone successfully gotten their dual citizenship through Bavaria or in RP (Rheinland-Pfalz). I did the preliminary interview with the Beamter in Bavaria and rejected my request to keep my US passport. I don't have a problem putting together an appeal if I know I have chance. I already had to do this to keep my driver's license. And now for personal family estate reasons it is even more important for me to keep my citizenship but the Beamter said that didn't matter. We might be moving to RP (not for another year or two) so I wasn't sure if it was better to try and take up my case there or keep trying here in Bavaria. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

You should have lawyered up, you should be able to request it regardless as the Beamter doesn’t make the decision as the law is the law so long that you meet the criteria. Where in Bavaria did you apply at?  @zsarah001

@zsarah001@cybil

I was successul in keeping my USA Passport - in Hessen. The lawyers are useless. I was denied at first, then filed an appeal. Three lawyers told me it was a losing argument, but one would handle it for €10K - but I should not expect to win.

Read the law (it's online), decide exactly which rules work in your favor. Fight it yourself and take the all-mighty out of the loop.

(I fought it myself using estate and tax consequences among other arguments and -18 months later - won. I used estate, tax, and financial arguments and paid a paralegal to put it in the correct format for the courts)

On 2/19/2020, 5:34:10, Jack Schitte said:

@zsarah001@cybil

I was successul in keeping my USA Passport 

(I fought it myself using estate and tax consequences among other arguments and -18 months later - won. I used estate, tax, and financial arguments and paid a paralegal to put it in the correct format for the courts)

would you make available your reasons and arguments and maybe share the paralegal‘s info? 

I know this is going to be my only hope.. because the Beamte here don’t even know the laws. They justify doing nothing with “it’s always been like that.”

thanks for your help!

On 1/5/2017, 10:28:33, pianostar69 said:

No, I meant less than $2,350, you cannot earn over $2350 per month or you do not qualify. They apparently don't want people with a higher income using this reason to get dual citizenship. Of course if you don't earn enough to pay taxes and maintain a residence permit then you have other problems altogether.

In response to a question where the figure of 1,278 euros comes from, it is from a flyer from the Beauftragte der Bundesregierung für Migration, Flüchtlinge und Integration. Here is a link to the PDF, see page 20.

This PDF has moved on the German government website, so here is a valid link to it for your reference. I would recommend if you are applying for German citizenship that you  print this out and show the official page 20 if they had any doubts about the policy of allowing you to have dual citizenship.

https://www.bundesregierung.de/resource/blob/975292/1543188/88d72e6ce4af2bbac9b565afb054fa5f/die-deutsche-staatsbuergerschaft-07-11-18-download-neu-ba-ib-data.pdf?download=1

It is only the policy and practice -- not the law -- for the German government to allow citizens whose countries demand more than 1,278 euros when giving up their current citizenship to be allowed to keep their current citizenship when getting the new German citizenship. Here is a link to a PDF to show the Beamter what the policy and practice of their own government is. Print this out in its entirety and show them page 20! https://www.bundesregierung.de/resource/blob/975292/1543188/88d72e6ce4af2bbac9b565afb054fa5f/die-deutsche-staatsbuergerschaft-07-11-18-download-neu-ba-ib-data.pdf?download=1

i have a question about the 8 years rule. the first time that i came to germany and make registrated  at meldeamt  myself on 10.12.2013 .  on this date 15.04.2014  i received my resident card ( this date on my first resident permit) .and it was for 1 year.So my question is that  for 8 year must be start from 10.12.2013 or 15.04.2014???

10.12.2013 first registration at meldeamt

15.04.2014 start date on first resident permit

14.04.2015 end date on first resident permit

i canceled my resident at meldeamt on 14.04.2015( abmelden beim meldeamt) Again back to germany on 01.01.2016 and still staying germany  

a little bit mein story in germany..

1 hour ago, cyborg said:

10.12.2013 first registration at meldeamt

15.04.2014 start date on first resident permit

14.04.2015 end date on first resident permit

i canceled my resident at meldeamt on 14.04.2015( abmelden beim meldeamt) Again back to germany on 01.01.2016 and still staying germany  

a little bit mein story in germany..

Since you left the country for an extended period, I would guess that the clock (re)started for you on 01.01.2016.

i know it is over the 6 months but i have acceptable reason actually why i left from germany .. although  still no chance?

17 minutes ago, cyborg said:

i know it is over the 6 months but i have acceptable reason actually why i left from germany .. although  still no chance?

Maybe a chance.  The law states (translated from German):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 12b
[Interruptions of residence]

(1) Ordinary residence in Germany is not considered interrupted by stays abroad of up to six months. In case of longer stays abroad, ordinary residence in Germany is deemed to continue if the foreigner re-enters the federal territory within the deadline stipulated by the foreigners authority. The same applies if the deadline is exceeded solely on account of the foreigner carrying out statutory military service in his or her country of origin and the foreigner re-enters the federal territory within three months of discharge from military or community service.

(2) If the foreigner has resided abroad for more than six months for a reason of a non-temporary nature, the previous period of residence in Germany may be counted towards the duration of residence which is necessary for the purposes of naturalization, up to a period of five years.

(3) Interruptions in the lawfulness of residence are disregarded if they arise as a result of the foreigner having failed to apply in good time for initial issuance or subsequent extension of the residence title.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you fit into (1) or (2) you might be ok.

space cowboy thank you very much actually i need to this instruction it will help me 

without integration  course  just bring B2 and volunteer worked at somewhere. then  direct apply with  6 years can someone??

15 hours ago, cyborg said:

without integration  course  just bring B2 and volunteer worked at somewhere. then  direct apply with  6 years can someone??

Yes, you can. Application based on the 6 years rule has nothing to do with an integration course. If you have B2 level german, you could ask your citizenship related questions on info4alien

first of all thank you so much for your answer to here dear turmech  . turmech are you turkish ?