How to get German Citizenship and retain (dual) US Citizenship

410 posts in this topic

@cybil Ah, that sucks. I hate that smaller skills scam a set of tests and then act like their certificate means anything. It's probably the proctoring and external examiners that were missing. I'm sorry.

 

On the plus side, the money is the only issue. You'll do just fine. Don't you worry about it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Bonn and I’m wondering if anyone here can help with my situation. I just spoke to the Beamte in charge of my Einbürgerung process and he said I meet all the requirements (Einbürgerungstest, B2 certificate, sufficient salary...) but that I have to give up my American citizenship because NRW doesn’t allow any exemptions to the dual citizenship rule. He said other Bundesländer have exemptions, but not NRW. I thought this was a national law/rule but maybe I’m mistaken. Any ideas what my next step should be (I called for an appointment in April and got one early next year so I’ve got a little time).

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kgg said:

I live in Bonn and I’m wondering if anyone here can help with my situation. I just spoke to the Beamte in charge of my Einbürgerung process and he said I meet all the requirements (Einbürgerungstest, B2 certificate, sufficient salary...) but that I have to give up my American citizenship because NRW doesn’t allow any exemptions to the dual citizenship rule. He said other Bundesländer have exemptions, but not NRW. I thought this was a national law/rule but maybe I’m mistaken. Any ideas what my next step should be (I called for an appointment in April and got one early next year so I’ve got a little time).

 

Use TT search- many threads/ posts on this.  Those US who managed to keep their US seem to have shown financial hardship. But maybe NRW is very hard and fast about it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

NRW doesn’t allow any exemptions to the dual citizenship rule. He said other Bundesländer have exemptions, but not NRW.

 

Quite a bit is up to the Beamter who reviews your case, but this sounds like utter crap.

Many countries will not allow their citizens to renounce (see below) yet I know many Germans who emigrated from one of these and are now "dual" citizens. I have a hard time believing that in the entire NRW - none emigrated from any of the countries below.

 

  • Morocco 
  • Argentina 
  • Costa Rica
  • Dominican Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Guatemala
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Mexico
  • Nicaragua
  • Niger
  • Panama
  • Qatar
  • Tonga
  • Uruguay
  • Vatican
  • Yemen
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jack Schitte said:

 

Quite a bit is up to the Beamter who reviews your case, but this sounds like utter crap.

 

It depends, the post never mentioned how much he earns. Perhaps there is no legal loophole for him.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve looked at several threads and it seems like it would be safer to have a few more financial reasons in addition to the cost of giving up citizenship. I’ll have to do a little more research in this area and would welcome any general ideas.

 

I don’t think the Beamter meant that dual citizenship was a problem, only that I couldn’t use the financial hardship loophole to get it. I’ll have to find out how NRW defines unzumutbare Bedinungen.

 

Brutto income is about 1,500 euros/month so I think it’s in the goldilocks zone.

 

And many thanks to all the posters who have encouraged fighting for this. I was feeling a little down yesterday but there’s a bit of hope now!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5.3.2019, 18:36:21, cybil said:

Good questions, I have no answers. I have a further question related to social security payout: apparently your social security payout is based on your last 10 years of work. Does this mean the last 10 years of work in America, before moving to Germany, or last 10 years of work in the later in life home, Germany? 

hey  cybil, you can go online and see what the US has for you in terms of social security. I think it is based on your contribution. They used to send a statement every year, not sure if I have seen mine in a few years.

Also the Deutsche Rentenversicherung, which you probably pay into, has people who will sit down and talk to you about your german and US pension. You just have to find the right people there, and bring all possible documentation. And book months in advance.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7.8.2019, 19:40:24, mako1 said:

hey  cybil, you can go online and see what the US has for you in terms of social security. I think it is based on your contribution. They used to send a statement every year, not sure if I have seen mine in a few years.

Also the Deutsche Rentenversicherung, which you probably pay into, has people who will sit down and talk to you about your german and US pension. You just have to find the right people there, and bring all possible documentation. And book months in advance.

 

I'm still waiting for my first Deutsche Rentenversichrung statement, having worked over 7 years here and having filled out all the papers they required over two years ago. I called last year to check on the status of that and heard only 'it's being worked on.' That was a year ago. I can well imagine it taking months to get an appointment to talk with anyone there. Ha! I do get my Social Security statements every few years. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get your SocSec online now. https://www.ssa.gov/

They will send you a letter to register, probably, for your first time. And then they will have your address and may send you the statements but what you want to know is there (or didn't want to know).

Deutsche Rentenversicherung? I think it might also be online. Check the other threads.

https://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/DRV/DE/Online-Dienste/online-dienste_node.html

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now