Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Putting up a fake advert on airbnb

35 posts in this topic

That's a good idea!

My company has rented an apartment close by for all sorts of visitors, short term accommodation of new employees etc.

On 30.12.2016, 11:06:04, MadAxeMurderer said:

what they do with new employees

Well, MAM, what did the Hot HR Lady do with you when you were new? :D 

@yourkeauI called up yesterday about Ferienhaus Casablanca in Kortrijk. Thankyou for the tip, it open intriguing possibilities.

It seems to cost about 3500 for 1 month. So 1000 more expensive than the hotel, but no upfront costs. 

With the hotel I'd also have no upfront costs if I used his ancient beds and wardrobes, and abomination of a kitchen. I'm reckoning 2000 per bedroom and 10000 for the living area, so 20k to move from phase1 to phase2.

What might make sense is to take Ferienhaus Casablanca for 3 months. That would cost 10k. Then I can just walk away after 3 months, or move onto the hotel. If I do a lease buy on the hotel I'd have 9 months renting out before having to decide on the purchase option. It buys me 3 months.

Actually what I could do is putup fake airbnb ads at 600 per month for the hotel and 800 per month for Casablanca. The ones who take the hotel will end up staying in Casablanca for 600 until the hotel is ready. But I'll see what proportion of people will pay 800 for good rooms with pictures over 600 for unknown rooms with no pictures.

I have a feeling 800 is the sweet price. High enough to make me money but low enough to be acceptable to tenants. 1000 or even 900 would be much nicer however.

I did contact Bellavilla about the above. Asked for a quote from 1 Feb 2017 to 30 April 2017. Not available for all chosen dates.

Their Email is unhelpful just telling me to choose another property from their website. Tried phoning but phone quality from India... Back in 10 days.

Now considering feasibility of turning ground floor into Irish pub..

Running a pub is much much more work if you do it yourself, aside from the permits, health certififcations, and random local bureaucracy. Of course, if you are just renting out the ground floor and somebody else does all the work... hmm... any details already?

I don't know how relevant this is but in the long run, have you ever considered connecting with some culture associations/networks and running this place as a writers or translators or artists residence - at least during the periods when airbnb does not prove very active over time? Associations would sort out most of the arrangements and grants, so you would be working with organizations instead of many people. And if you do this yourself, it can be quite profitable after a while. I stayed in some of these places around the world and if a place is peaceful enough with some beauty around it, people are usually ready to pay happily or come and stay there through networks. Some places may charge extras for the trips they organize for the introverted:) The photos you shared look beautiful and everything would be so nice, from the vintage cutlery to the slightly aging design. IMHO, this place could easily open itself to many things related to culture. 

One trend in my country (in cities where people have lots of high-maintenance children) is to open a cafe for children only. Decorated for children, I never knew birthday parties left so much profit. I have a friend who has a café for children and then another one for vegetarians where they can bring in all their pets and she is very surprised with the income the former brings. But yeah, kids are a bit spoilt in some places here. Basically, parents choose to spend on them. 

Airbnb, from what I know - Istanbul and the Mediterranean- can be a curse and a blessing. In my country, international guests coming through airbnb can be a bit more relaxed?/informal? than the ones you find through other channels, which means lots of attempts to change the arrival date, lots of talking, programming and headache sometimes. To keep myself secure, I would try to find another channel for some rooms in the beginning.  

As for fake adverts, I personally would not do it on airbnb as reputation builds quickly and is not limited to airbnb only. Plus, there are scams using airbanb - credit card info theft through fake adverts of places that don't exist etc somany guests try to do picture search of places in Google etc. Putting up an ad and then sending them messages may give them a wrong impression for wrong reasons maybe and some may choose to contact airbnb - or maybe I'm thinking too much:)

Again, as far as I know, the biggest costs are never cleaning, paying people etc but structural problems in old buildings. Rot, rusty pipes, you name it. Repairwork just suspends the business plan, refunds cause problems etc. 

Irish pub says good food to me:) 

Good luck with everything. 

I never did put up the fake advert. Glad I didn't after zeion's post.

I'm intrigued by writer's and artist's getaways. I have this prejudice that those groups are very short of money. Also wouldn't artists and writers want to go for long strolls on the desolate beach, or the haunted forest, or the desolate peaks to provoke the creative juices? No beaches, forests or peaks of any nature.

I can't see children's parties being a winner. McDonald's has that nicely sown up surely?

Children parties with a theme (i.e. baking, cooking, pottery, etc) can be very profitable, you charge an unreasonable price per kid and then the parents that stay will take some drinks and maybe eat something small as well. Double win. But then someone has to entertain the kids.

I like your idea in general and elsewhere, I think it can work. I'm just not sure if there'll be enough demand for Kortrijk. Airbnb mainly caters to short term visitors i.e. tourists, so how's the tourism in the town? Is there a stat website where you can see how well the tourism industry is doing as compared to other cities?

Additionally you can also promote your hostelry to people who want to get out of the ancient and inflexible 3-6-9 rental arrangement. So your rooms will also be available to long term tenants, with much more flexible terms than elsewhere in town. That would be attractive.

50 minutes ago, desdemona said:

Additionally you can also promote your hostelry to people who want to get out of the ancient and inflexible 3-6-9 rental arrangement. So your rooms will also be available to long term tenants, with much more flexible terms than elsewhere in town. That would be attractive.

Basically, that is MAM's original idea - a mid to long term B&B aimed at the local software contractors.

I think that could work, too.

I'm not as happy about the Irish pub idea.

IMHO, the audience for a noisy pub conflicts (racket! beer, talking and smoking outside! slamming car doors! cheap!) with the one for a quiet long term hostelry (go to bed early, start work at 8, comparatively well off).

MAM's original idea was I believe to provide a simple common kitchen for the tenants, or at best breakfast service by the hotel. That sounds better suited.

Also, the pub business is very finicky - a frighteningly large percentage of pubs fail within the first year. I don't think MAM has that kind of money to spare.

In fact I believe the person who is selling the pub idea to MAM has his own agenda.

7 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I never did put up the fake advert. Glad I didn't after zeion's post.

I'm intrigued by writer's and artist's getaways. I have this prejudice that those groups are very short of money. Also wouldn't artists and writers want to go for long strolls on the desolate beach, or the haunted forest, or the desolate peaks to provoke the creative juices? No beaches, forests or peaks of any nature.

I can't see children's parties being a winner. McDonald's has that nicely sown up surely?

If you build yourself a tiny version of Relais Hotel du Vieux Paris or Hotel Chelsea, you will probably suffer a lot but will be a legend in two generations :)

I was more thinking along the lines of the culture industry funded by the EU. For instance, supporting intercultural dialogue is an EU culture goal and translation is one of the recognized ways of doing this. That's why, almost all countries organize workshops sometimes partly funded by the EU, most of the time visited by Ministers of Culture etc. Say, they bring together translators of Ancient Greek poetry or Kierkegaard or Kafka. Translators come there through grants and their national associations and usually are more or less financially established people (but at that point you wouldn't deal with that) who have devoted their lives to  very specific things :) Some have an academic background. 

There is a famous translators place in Seneffe, but a very famous one with a dreamy courtyard, which of course photographs well when important people are there :)  

However, there are lots of smaller scale places, the listing in CEATL may give an idea. There are even smaller ones. Camps, you name it. 

https://www.ceatl.eu/category/translators-houses

If you have the interest or familiarity, you also can get in touch with NGOs, build projects with them and get funding as well. These can be tedious things sometimes but some people have more fun doing them, so I don't know. 

Writer's residences is similar. Can work through grants but also attracts middle-aged people who have achieved a certain security in life and wish to travel with a purpose for a bit.

PEN has a lot going on always. 

In both these, people like nature, yes. But they also like the European culture (and the idea of being with other writers, translators etc) and if there is no nature or culture, you may drive them to the nearest point. 

For other arts and culture events, it often works in a specific way. You get connected with someone, they bring in the people and finances sorted out beforehand. 

Everything has become "network" basically, thousands of things are organized every day. Once you get into the network through one or two organizations, the rest comes. 

I'm not saying this is the best business plan or anything, just wanted to share details becaue you said you are intrigued. Only, depending on your interests it can be an alternative which has different seasons - like you can use low seasons, it brings a lot of marketing and prestige. I have come across places that organize little workshops, offer accommodation for the mentor who brings their own group and charge little for the others because it has marketing value. 

Offering alternative cooking courses is profitable in urban areas as well. You are sorted once you get to be called "culinary institute of something":))) 

These can be secondary, small event- based things that can add extra income to a place easily during weekends etc. Just an idea. 

Oh, and if you wish to choose to focus on the boutique hotel concept, what sells most (most of the time) is not the strength of your facility in comparison to bigger places but your ability to create friendly experiences and then show them to the world. 

There is someting called flip.to (http://www.flip.to) which markets this in creative ways - delivers photos on phones with comments from guests etc, which works better with small hotel population. 

Just to be clear. The objective of my buying a hotel is indeed to have a place for myself and other contractors to live. There is simply no accommodation possibilities in Kortrijk. I plan to offer 30 days notice, at any time of month to month by month guests. So you're given 4 weeks notice of the end of your contract, you can likewise give me 4 weeks notice.

I will also offer week by week rentals. For exhibition visitors, or potentially long term tenants who want to test the waters first. I will not offer day by day rentals.

I made money with German rentals by completing ignoring the standard way of doing business, and doing what I thought was best for my tenants. and then charging higher for the better service. Same plan here.

I plan to have a fine kitchen and a very decent living room with kick ass TV/movie system. I believe that is important to contractors. Wasn't planning on offering breakfast unless I sub contract breakfast and packed lunch out to unemployed Indian man on disability. 

@MetallNobody is pushing me to open a pub. It's just brainstorming about what to do with the ground floor. A gentleman well known to many here, who might well read this thread is giving me some advice, and would move to a consulting role if I move forward on pub idea which is far from a given.

Update? And one more thought you could offer an additional service of 'pub night' with beer tasting, pub quiz, English practise, event space whatever with the company www.withlocals.com and not get fussed about having a real pub.

What happened with your project?`It's such a great building.