Alcohol in carry-on luggage

16 posts in this topic

I could not find an answer in any previous post (most talk about alcohol in checked-in luggage, or are too old...).

I'd like to bring 2 100ml (glass) bottles of alcohol in my carry-on luggage, flying out of MUC...in theory it's allowed, I also sent an e-mail to the airport customer service and they replied positively...

But the only obstacle I can see is the security people (Terminal 2), who might be poorly trained and only allow non-alcoholic liquids to pass through. To avoid any surprise, has anybody ever successfully carried alcohol in his carry-on luggage in the last few years/months?

Thank you

If you are departing from MUC where is your final destination and are you transiting in other countries?  That will all affect whether those bottle make it all the way with you!  

5 hours ago, ItMunich said:

...in theory it's allowed, I also sent an e-mail to the airport customer service and they replied positively...

- then print out the email and take it along with you!

If there is a problem at all, ask to speak to the person who replied to your email...

I thought all liquids were still banned, or has this changed?

I know you can take on board any liquids bought airside whether alcoholic or not.

I know for a fact that 70%abv is the limit allowed in DE, anything over that is illegal although that doesn't explain why there is at least one shop selling Poteen at a much higher abv in Munich.

This is also the abv limit allowed on passenger aircraft, cabin or hold.

Edit:

here's a link with more info which seems to allow them if put in a zippy bag, but it does talk about the contents being correctly described on the label so are your 10cl bottles shop bought with labels or filled by yourself with no official labels?

I carried perfume, which is about 80-90% alcohol, though I wouldn't recommend drinking it ...

If you're suggesting I invented some rules then I didn't.

Thanks to working with Cargo at MUC for just over 3 years I had to be certified for Gefahrgut (Dangerous Goods) and if you look those up you'll see that no alcolhol with a greater abv than 70% (or perhaps it's 74% .. I can double check) is allowed on passenger aircraft. It must be properly labelled and sent by cargo aircraft, if allowed at all by carriers.

Strangely, perfume is not in the same category and can be carried.

Edit: I was right originally, the limit is 70%, see point 1 here.

5 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

If you're suggesting I invented some rules then I didn't.

Just to clarify: my post referred to OP. I assume OP is not carrying anything above 70% anyway.

According to most airlines, the 100mls limit- for shampoos, gel, toothpaste, etc.

Alcohol- has to be bought duty free air-side, and keep receipt. Some airlines only give it to you as you board.

Apparently, alcohol bought while still at home, must be in checked luggage. 
It seems most Airlines adhere to this policy.

16 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

According to most airlines, the 100mls limit- for shampoos, gel, toothpaste, etc.

Alcohol- has to be bought duty free air-side, and keep receipt. Some airlines only give it to you as you board.

Airlines have no right to check your luggage, airport security does. That's why what airlines can ban is consumption pf own alcohol on-board. But this was not the question in the OP, as far as I understand. 

6 hours ago, RedMidge said:

What? No. Your little baggy of 100ml or less bottles usually comes from home with you on your trip. It has nothing to do with airside duty free shopping. With duty free, you can actually get full-size bottles of alcohol and what-not that will be sealed in bags, handed to the airline, and given to you at your destination.

And, alcohol can be brought, but not consumed on the flight.

I did not say the 100mls of toiletries had to be bought duty free!   If you want to take alcohol with carry on- that has to be duty free.     Some airlines hand you the  duty free stuff at the gate before you board.  So, the OP needs to check the airline policy.

It may have changed but there was an issue with Raynair refusing duty free wine and alcohol on board as they counted it as part of the carry on. So if you had a purse and bought something from the duty free they wouldn't let you board unless you left it behind. 

3 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

It may have changed but there was an issue with Raynair refusing duty free wine and alcohol on board as they counted it as part of the carry on. So if you had a purse and bought something from the duty free they wouldn't let you board unless you left it behind. 

Yes, it seems all airlines have different rules, and also how they interpret them.

On 12/23/2016, 11:10:05, RedMidge said:

I did not say the 100mls of toiletries had to be bought duty free!   If you want to take alcohol with carry on- that has to be duty free.     Some airlines hand you the  duty free stuff at the gate before you board.  So, the OP needs to check the airline policy.

No, I was responding to Malt-Teaser, not you.