Savings accounts recommendations ( for early 2017)

8 posts in this topic

Hi. Can anyone recommend any good German savings accounts at the moment (Winter 2016/2017)? most important for us at the moment is the interest rate, we are looking to save more than 15,000, can lock it away for a few years too if needs be. A kids saving account would be a possibility as we have two little ones.

Also, are there any good websites for this kind of information? ideally I am looking for the German equivalent of www.moneysavingexpert.com.  

MfG, Robin

Interest have been very low for years here in Germany too, like in all other rich countries.

"good" means perhaps you get an interest of 0.5 rather than 0.01.

here one of many:

http://festgeld.focus.de/

1 hour ago, roborob said:

Hi. Can anyone recommend any good German savings accounts at the moment (Winter 2016/2017)? most important for us at the moment is the interest rate, we are looking to save more than 15,000, can lock it away for a few years too if needs be. A kids saving account would be a possibility as we have two little ones.

Do you watch/read the news at all? A savings account with €15,000 will get you something like €75 with 0,5% interest and a cool €15 with 0,1. My bank gives me 0,1% at the moment I believe, but maybe they already halved it to 0,05%. What are you going to do with that?

The increase in the cost of living is greater than the interest you will get. Spend your money before it devalues!

You can get a better rate of interest by increasing the risk of your investment away from a local savings account. Turkey offers good interest rates.

I use check24.de to look at the current best offers here in Germany.

In the UK there is an account where you can still get up to 5%, though that is exceptional, and plenty with well over 1%. 

Money saving expert - Savings accounts

I used check24 (thanks donaby) and found that there are a few accounts with around 1%, so I guess that is about as good as I can expect. I wonder why it is so much lower here than in the UK?

8 hours ago, roborob said:

. I wonder why it is so much lower here than in the UK?

Because it's a different currency.

8 hours ago, roborob said:

. I wonder why it is so much lower here than in the UK?

- yes, because it is a different currency, and also because if you are not currently a customer with whatever bank in the UK, they will not accept you!!!