Gas, Water and Electric Bills

52 posts in this topic

Just finishing up my weekly big clean and wondered if CandyQuackenBush considered estimating how much water is being used for cleaning. Dishes, cleaning floors, etc. That takes some water if your're not careful. Just a thought..

My gas and electric bill works out to be over 1300.00 € per month,

I’m renovating a property and have stayed in it for a total of about 1 month 2 weeks in the past 8 months. while i am renovating I have been in the uk and china, during my time away everything is switched off..

My usage is very low. The highest reading is about “127 kwh” the lowest is “1.7 kwh” the property had 6 meters in it,

e-on want me to pay a total of over 1300.00 € , but i think this bill is very wrong they sent someone to disconnect me today but they saw my situation and said they would give me a few days to try and resolve it what can i do?

in total e-on say i have 6 contract with them however when everything was set up i received 1 contract and we even set up a direct debit on it. We organised one direct debit 150 per month and i received bill for that account regular by email. the others i have received in the post this week for the first time , in-fact i had to phone up and they informed me of another 4 contract i have with them , i am the only person in the building don’t have heavy equipment. + was not living there for a majority of the time as it was inhabitable gas was conected in march so has not realy used it

If its any consolation, I moved out to Ulm last August and believed that my warm rent covered all my heating. Recently had a bill for €1057 for only eight months... Eight 'f'ing months! I had one window slightly open and three radiators on minimum thinking (wrongly obviously) that it all worked like the UK. To add insult to injury my monthly bill has gone up for next year by extra €50/month. No heating this winter and extra jumpers. I will not be beaten. Rant over, I'd like to say I feel better but I don't.

Hi,

I have a few little question concerning my electricity bill.

I moved in a little bit more than 3 months ago, and took Vatenfall as my electricity provider (not the cheapest, but the easiest to use).

Soon enough I discovered that I am paying per month 87 euro (!), which, I believe, comes from the previous tenant, since I haven't had any checkup of my electricity meter until now. Am I correct on that point?

The second thing is that I am checking my meters every month, and I am very very far from the previous tenant's usage. Based on the current prices and my usage, I would have to pay approx. 25 euro per month for electricity (knowing that I am sparing, and live on my own, it would make sense). From what I gather, Vatenfall will reimburse me the expense, but the question is, when would they do that? Should I call them to tell them that there is another tenant, and that the electricity usage has been drastically changed, or should I wait for the annual check-up? (on their internet portal, you can only change 10% of the price, which would not amount to much).

I can afford to pay 87 euro per month and then get a very nice surprise at the end with a reimbursement... But if possible, I'd prefer to spare them from the very beginning, and spend that money for gifts for the coming festivities. :)

Thanks for the attention.

I had a similar situation with Stadtwerke München: Six months after ditching some high-consumption appliances I gave them a meter reading; they then calculated new, lower down-payments. I'm fairly sure that Vatenfall will do the same.

As you are probably on the "Grundversorgungstarif" from Vatenfall you are almost certainly on the most expensive deal possible so you'd be MUCH better off to change tarif or provider. The savings can be remarkable (usually 100's of € a year), and it will have the advantage that you will need to take a meter reading and get a final bill on the current deal, which if you are correct with your consumption estimate will result in a substantial refund. You can also tell the new provider your estimated usage so that their monthly deductions are more realistic. Changing providers is VERY easy - you normally fill out an online form and they take care of everything including cancelling the old supplier. You can compare costs by entering your postcode and estimated annual usage on the Verivox comparison site

If you do this here's a (very naughty) tip - when you come to read your meter for the final invoice with the old supplier, intentionally give them a lower reading than the actual number on the meter. That way you pay for electricity you already used on the lower rate of the new provider.

If you do this here's a (very naughty) tip - when you come to read your meter for the final invoice with the old supplier, intentionally give them a lower reading than the actual number on the meter. That way you pay for electricity you already used on the lower rate of the new provider.

Any other tips on committing fraud?

Thanks a lot, sarabyrd and YorkshireLad6!

I took Vatenfall on "purpose", since it is the very first time (ever! now I do feel young) that I do live on my own, and being in a completely other country as well I preferred to take the easy option. However now that I'm starting to get the hang of things, I might very well do what you suggest, YL6, and change my current tarif after a careful look at my contract.

I will pass on the naughty tip, though, but I thank you for pointing it out. I'm the kind to feel bad about making one stop on the U-bahn without a valid ticket, so I think that doing this might give me some white nights :D

Hi I live in Bad wildbad in Calw kreis in Germany. My question  is how to  calculate hot and cold water .now I live in single room apartment  from  one year and previous reading of hot water is 68 m3 and new is 85m3 and for cold water is previous reading is 86m3 and new is 115m3 and I'm paying monthly €129 NC which include heilung , water , hausmeister  so please advise me is that enough or I use more water and how much should I pay extra for water if I pay more or I use less water and how much is normally should I use water per year

Average cold water consumption for  single household is about 30 m³ per year. Cold water is cheap, about € 2,50 per m³. Warm water of course costs more, but as long as you don't take hour long showers this won't be felt too much.

The sum you pay per month might not be enough at the end of the year, but more likely due to other costs such as heating, Planning a cash reserve of 15% of your annual payments will avoid headaches when the bills comes.