Gas, Water and Electric Bills

52 posts in this topic

We have just had our new monthly payments come through for our utility bills and they have worked out that between the 3 we have underpaid by €600 in 6 months and have "worked out" our new monthly standing orders which have gone up by at least €50 each in the last 3 years !!! I would understand if we had kids but its just the 2 of us! :angry:

We are with Entega. Has anyone else had a shock?? :(

Do you get an itemised bill, if so where are the price increases? If you feel you have been overcharged ie. you havn't had any major changes in consumption, I would take it up with them, even Germans have been known to mess up their maths. :D

I'd check your meter readings against the bill to make sure there aren't any errors with the readings. One think to bear in mind is that gas prices in particular have gone up

considerably in the last year, this is because they are artificially linked to the price

of oil in Germany ...which is scandalous in it'self, Germany has the highest Gas prices

in Europe -no wonder the economy is on it's knees :wacko:

Otherwise check which utility has the biggest increase and look for the culprit !

Cheers Neil, it is the Gas. Looks like we wil have to sit around a candle from now on and shower together!!

Same for us - our bill has gone up by 50% in all (that's electric, water, waste water and heating). Must get round to checking the bill.

I fear my bill will look pretty much the same. Last year I already had an underpaiment by 280€ in 6 months which increased my monthly rate by 75€ (I am single) and when I consider the massive price increases I suppose I'll go through some kind of a deja vu...

Just got ours out again and over a 3 month period (obviously when it was bloody freezing) we used 1000 units of gas (or pounds of gas or whatever they are counted in, gassy doo dars!! :blink: ) However looking at our reading today against when the guy came to read it last month we have only used 100+ due to the heating being off.

As always we will pray that in the next 6 months we are in the blue and not the red, and no doubt we will be as its summer, then the payments will go down and the whole thing starts again!! Unless we confine ourselves to one room.

If you're in rented accommodation, check the bills very carefully. I acted as "Verwalter" for a group of 48 flats in six houses for four years. The company responsible for calculating the heating and warm water charges, ISTA, (who operate nationswide) succeeded in giving me one correct bill for one house in the last year!

Speaking to other "Verwaltungsfirmen" the unanimous comment was " Oh, we don't check the bills, we just take them and split them appropriately amongst the flats"!

PLEASE HELP

Moved to Berlin last year from NYC

A month ago I received a bill from GASAG for 1200 euros and I almost fell off my chair

I have a 59sqm flat and use gas for hot water and heat

and they said that I used 19700 kwh

completely not understanding how I could have used so much I had my heat at 20c and 25c when it got super cold

A friend of mine which has a 70sqm flat and 2 of them living in the flat and they also cook with gas and they keep there flat very hot during the winter months

and they had used 18000 kwh which is 1700 less then what they said I am using

They are now charging me 100 euros a month which everyone I has spoken to said that is way too much for my size place

Can someone please help with any information

Sounds a bit high, but not unreasonably so if it's an older place and you keep the heat at 25c. 250-300 kwh per sqm is normal in older buildings. You're at 333 kwh/sqm (or about 300 kwh if you exclude the hot water), but that could easily be caused by your heating habits. Older windows? High ceilings?

I had the same shock, but admittedly on a smaller scale. 14000 kw/h for a 120 m² flat. Sounds ok, but freshly renovated, triple glassed. The temperature is 20 C max and everything is set-up in a way that the temperature is at 16 C when I'm not home, heating up to 20 starts half an hour before I get home and I only really heat the living room properly. I had the boiler checked and it was a settings problem. The warm water was kept at (unreasonable) high temperatures all the time and that thing was constantly running. The year after that it went down to 10000 kw/h.

Yeah I would suggest you get the meter checked.

Something similar happened to hubby with water and he was overcharged 1000. But do note, they may not reduce the amount since they cannot prove what was used (not sure the legality of that), but that happened in his case. But of course once fixed it never happened again.

My wife is screaming because we had an increase of 50 euro a year! 3 people Huh?

I walk around with a flash light until 10pm.

I'm checking the meter reading now!

She must be German :P

I have one of those too. If a light is on he asks if we are millionaires, facepalm.

the majority of the time I kept my heat on 20 c but some of the super cold days i put it on 25 c but was rare since i knew gas was expensive here in Germany

also I kept my electric boiler or whatever you want to call it on E (economy) to save money

they also came in April to change my gas meter and a friend of mine said that is where the mistake could come from

researching the net I have found much cheaper place to supply gas instead of GASAG which everyone has told me they are a rip off and according to my research it seems that way

my flat was renovated before I had moved to the place with new heaters and also a new electric boiler

So i am honestly thinking GASAG could have calculated incorrectly which I am hoping this is possible unless they will get whatever I can give them a month

GREAT more debit... :angry: I owe I owe it's off to work I go

and here it is I thought I was getting away from high costs of living in NYC

Thanks everyone for the input!!! :)

Do you have a record of the meter reading from when you moved in? This is usually part of the moving in protocol and completed by the landlord or the agent. It would be worth checking that both meter readings are plausible. Can you ask the landlord if he knows how much previous tenants have paid to heat the place? Can you ask the neighbours? None of these are going to directly show you if your bill is correct but give you and idea of what is normal in the building.

the majority of the time I kept my heat on 20 c but some of the super cold days i put it on 25 c

What a strange thing to do. You do understand how thermostatic temperature control works, don't you? Why do you make the room warmer when outside is colder? If you like living at 20° why sweat at 25° just because it's colder outside?

Hi everybody,

I have got an issue with my utility bills as well.

Have to spend a fortune on water; heating and the rest of my utility bills are OK.

Thought the first year might have been influenced by the previous tenant.

But my bills are similar in 2010...

2009:

water = 48m3 hot, 46m3 cold = €873

heating = 1417 VE = €249

misc as lift and rubbish = €433

---

total = €1555

2010:

water = 50m3 hot, 50m3 cold = €813

heating = 1484 VE = €223

misc as lift and rubbish = €445

---

total = €1481

I live in the centre of Munich.

My tiny flat is only about 37m2 in size and there are 16 flats in my house.

Have to pay €130 for my utility bills per month.

An additional €20 go to Stadtwerke München (SWM) for electricity.

Reckon this is a lot of money for one person?!?

---> any advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

In my opinion your water consumption is extremely high.

We (2) used 140m³ water in 18 month.

The average German consumes 140l of water per day. This sums up to 50m³ per year.

That is your consumption of warm water only. So I assume, you take a bath every day. Plus 140l of cold water every day. What do you do with all the water?

We have a pond we frequently have to fill and a garden that needs a lot of water. Our consumption (cold plus warm water) per person and year was only 47m³.

On the positive side, you almost pay nothing for heating.

I live in a 54 sq. m. apartment and since I have my own water heaters, I don't use any hot water. My breakdown for 2010 looks like this:

Heating: 1.123,13€

Cold water: 123,79€

Other costs: 427,74€

--------------------

Total: 1.674,66€