Germany mobile contracts are the shittiest in Europe

25 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2018, 2:08:13, Mackle said:

This is why I am keeping my UK contract for now - £20 a month, 20GB of data, unlimited calls and texts, and a Spotify premium subscription.

How long have you had it? Don’t they cut you off if you spend too much time outside the UK?

2 hours ago, Smaug said:

How long have you had it? Don’t they cut you off if you spend too much time outside the UK?

I've been on that contract since summer 2016, so the minimum term has long passed. I never renewed the contract as when factoring in the Spotify subscription I couldn't find a better deal.

I'm sure that at some point they will cut me off, but as I tend to be in the UK for a couple of weekends a month, maybe I'm not on their radar as yet as still connecting to their UK network.

Thanks, I am only in the UK about once a month, so I never dared swap my German service for a UK one. Keep us posted if you get cut off. I suppose they could also start charging you extra at some point.

12 hours ago, Smaug said:

I suppose they could also start charging you extra at some point.

I have a UK giffgaff sim in my dual sim phone and signed up for their cheapest goodybag almost exactly 2 years ago. I am in the UK around 3 or 4 times a year on average. I have just had a message from giffgaff that they are going to apply roaming charges as I have not been in the UK in the last 2 months. That would be waived if I were to use the phone in England within the next couple of weeks.

So in my experience for giffgaff at least they don’t cut you off but they do start charging once they realise you’ve been out of the country for 2 months or more.

20 hours ago, Smaug said:

Thanks, I am only in the UK about once a month, so I never dared swap my German service for a UK one. Keep us posted if you get cut off. I suppose they could also start charging you extra at some point.

Will do :)

Because the minimum term of the contract is up, I guess that regardless of where I am there they are free to start making changes to the monthly price.