Deactivating the smoke detector

27 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Erdmann said:

How did you remove it in the first place? I have absolutely no clue, since I never thought about it. Is there a Chance that you could put it back yourself?

YES ?, I just tried put it back right now and it starts blinking in every 45 seconds, which means, according to the user manual, that it works probably ??.. I'm really ? .. I will keep watching it, if something happened, I will report it to the administration without removing it ?

I have a certain sympathy that something that has a 1 in 1000000 chance of actually helping you, destroys your life by making noise at the worst possible time.

We live in a world too fixated on often idiotic safety measures.

As your safety is our highest priority...

7 hours ago, KhTaheri said:

YES ?, I just tried put it back right now and it starts blinking in every 45 seconds, which means, according to the user manual, that it works probably ??.. I'm really ? .. I will keep watching it, if something happened, I will report it to the administration without removing it ?

That's good. As for the false Alarms, I'd suggest (if you are a smoker) to Smoke elsewhere. Same applies to sheesha. Just precautions to stop false alarms.

If the Alarm goes off for no apparent reason again, bring it to their attention. All's Well that blinks well. B)

14 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Trying to find something to support my point, I found this:

http://www.frag-einen-anwalt.de/Rauchmelder-im-Wohnzimmer-Fehlalarm-Anzeige-wegen-Missbrauch-von-Notrufen--f287653.html

A couple was charged with §145 for causing false alarm by smoking in own apartment. Doesn't really support my point, but shows main purpose of this article: to prevent people from abusing emergency alarms by causing false alarms. OP wants to do the opposite of that: to prevent false alarms. This excludes criminal liability, methinks.

And this is also not true: OP's smoke detector is not the only detector in house. He only risks his life, the lives of others are protected by their own smoke detectors.

This is no good advice at all. Some half-baked assumptions and nothing more. 

Why comment on something you quite apparently don't know anything about?

We had a carbon monoxide detector that wouldn't shut up, and when the guy came to see it eventually, he said he had been shown them in a bucket of water at the end of the garden, having been smashed to a pulp of wires etc, still producing the annoying squeal.

Hope it behaves itself, op, or that the Hausmeister sorts it quickly.

Haven't the time to read all the aforesaid but our smoke detectors are supposed to be tested once a week!!! Who does that? Right. When it has been lacking attention for a while it starts to squeal. We take out the battery for a while. Put the battery back. Problem solved for several months or till the next time it decides it needs testing.

1 hour ago, Hannoverian said:

This is no good advice at all. Some half-baked assumptions and nothing more. 

Which advice? My advice was to fix smoke detector. Here I only discarded "half backed assumptions" about criminal liability for removing smoke detector. If you have anything to add, please links to court decisions which prove me wrong. Otherwise your attack on me has no merit.

1 hour ago, Hannoverian said:

Why comment on something you quite apparently don't know anything about?

I don't know how it is in Hannover, but in Bavaria it is allowed to comment on smoke detectors without having Rauchmelderausbildungsbescheinigung.