Can you help me place a photo from April 30th 1945?

6 posts in this topic

I am researching how Munich fell to the US Army in 1945. To this end I picked up the following photo on Ebay. It shows boys from the 20th Armoured Division.

The reverse did not scan well but reads " Photo...T/5 Joseph A.Bowen-163 Infantrymen file along the electric railway line as they enter the outskirts of Munich 7A, 9th Tank BN, 20th Armd div, 30th Inf Reg 3rd inf Div (crossed out in blue pencil - XV CORPS ) Munich, Germany. There are 2 stamps from the censors, one dated 5th May 1945, the other 30th August 1945

The 20th had quite a bit of opposition on the way from Lohhof down to what is now the Bundeswehr medical barracks. Back then it used as a depot by the SS "Deutschland" Regiment and was also an anti-tank gunnery school. The action around the barracks was essentially the only realistic defence offered by German troops on the run-in to  Munich and they lost in the region of 1500 men. This was April 29th. The next day the advance continued - the day this photo dates from -  and the rest is history.

I had trouble compressing the photo so I have posted it on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Dark-History-Tours-158437778910/ 

Granted the image shows mainly a gully but there a couple of structures on the skyline. Its a long shot I know, since Munich has changed quite a bit since then but I thought I would ask - also thought might be interested even if they cannot help.

The building on the horizon looks a little like the former Hauptzollamt on Landsbergerstrasse, although I can't make out the distinctive glass frame work structure on the roof, but that could just be because of the distance and the quality of the photo.

21 minutes ago, Allershausen said:

The building on the horizon looks a little like the former Hauptzollamt on Landsbergerstrasse, although I can't make out the distinctive glass frame work structure on the roof, but that could just be because of the distance and the quality of the photo.

I thought that as well but as you say the dome is absent. You might be warm though since I have seen another couple of pics - from what look like the same series - where the railway station at Pasing was mentioned... so a Landsberger str location is certainly possible

21 minutes ago, Allershausen said:

This is possibly from the same sequence of photos and purports to show troops "in the station area west of the Nymphenburg Palace gardens". Could this be near Laim station?