Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Motorhome/RV owners

7 posts in this topic

1. Expect it to be much more regulated here as to where, when, how and all that.

2. Don't do it. Use the money for some decent hotels.

OK, so I'm a miserable old sod who isn't interested in motorhomes, caravans, tents or similar and prefers a little luxury and being looked after.

I would suggest renting one a few times and see what you think before buying a brand new one.

However, if you can afford it, go for it!

Well we're not motorhomers - caravanners but we own a Knaus caravan and I love it. I just laid mine up for winter today in fact. Good brand overall, not the top - Hymer/dethleffs are. 

Not down much in De but we drive west through Austria then Switzerland to France and Spain 3 times a year. There is an entire lifestyle to it over that way. 

Fave regions are Cevennes/Dordogne/Languedoc/Provence then Spain - Denia/Javea. we weven reached andalusia.

I love the lifestyle.

1. Yes, there is a vast motorhome culture in Germany, keyword to google is Wohnmobil. For parking look for Wohnmobilparkplatz.

2. There is much less wilderness in Germany in comparison to Alaska, you can find a place to live with fair price everywhere, even high in the Alps (huts of German Alpine Club), so it is just way of life, culture, but not a way to save money (you won't).

3. It makes sense to rent first to see if this culture fits you.

We love the camping lifestyle,but we are not getting younger,after decades of tents on the back of the motorbike we have decided to upgrade,of course for the amount of money we will be spending we could have many 5* hotel holidays anywhere in the world but camping has alwaysbeen a big part of my life so buying motorhome seems to be the logical way of extending our camping lust.

We rented motor homes a few times and kept going back and forth about buying one. At the moment we decided to stay renting because as lovely as the motor home culture is, with three little kids I'd sometimes miss the luxury of being looked after. Additionally with renting you can try various motor homes. We've tried hymer and more recently a rather luxurious 4-star Concorde just for fun. With the price you're paying you could have stayed for two weeks in a five star hotel though.