Flixbus vs. dbahn

54 posts in this topic

I have to travel to Nuremberg tomorrow and was wondering if flixbus is more reliable than dbahn. What is the process of booking tickets with flixbus? Would I still be able to travel in case I do not buy/book a ticket online? 

dbahn is more expensive but I did not have any (major) issues with their services. 

Good luck! To be stuck in traffic jam* in a bus full of passengers without ability to move is a wonderful experience you will never forget.

And all this to save 5 euros, priceless.

It's reliable, but it makes sense to use it on some other route not covered by direct and fast DB connection (the only route in Germany where a regional train can go 200 kmh).

*Or not, that depends on luck on A9. Railway is more reliable regarding speed.

I have used flixbus dozens of times from Berlin and it has every time been very cheap reliable and comfortable.  It is not as fast as train, but you normally have wifi (not my most recent journey, not sure why) and a comfortable seat so if there is no rush I would consider a flix anytime I wanted to travel.  And to be honest if I were in a rush I would generally try to fly rather than use the train.

There are also loads of other bus operators, I presume the services are much the same.  I have once used a dbahn bus (to katowice) and it was excellent.

For what its worth I would only suggest using busses for direct travel, the arival times have always been approximately correct for my journies but I still wouldnt feel comfortable knowing I only had a few minutes to change.

Agree with yourkeau. I prefer the bus personally, but if the route is well covered by the train and it's not too pricey then you are better of on the train. Munich to Nürnberg is one such route.

24 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

And all this to save 5 euros, priceless.

I'd be interested in hearing how you can get a train to Nürnberg for €10.

2 minutes ago, Allershausen said:

I'd be interested in hearing how you can get a train to Nürnberg for €10.

Return = 20

Bayern Ticket: 23, Nuremberg city transportation included

You save: 3 euros

Oh man, what a Besserwisser. First he talks about trains going 200 km/h and then just to make his point he comes with a regional ticket that only includes slow trains and just to make the budget he says it is a "return ticket" when in order to make it as a return ticket you would have to travel the same day.

LoL

Flix bus costs €5 each way. Plus the OP only said he wanted to go to Nürnberg, not return. The Bayern ticket only allows you to take an RE which means changing at Ingolstadt and takes 1hour and 47 minutes. Plus you can't leave until after 9:00am.

For the OP, you can buy tickets at the ZOB. Tickets:

38 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

I have used flixbus dozens of times from Berlin and it has every time been very cheap reliable and comfortable.  It is not as fast as train, but you normally have wifi (not my most recent journey, not sure why) and a comfortable seat so if there is no rush I would consider a flix anytime I wanted to travel.  And to be honest if I were in a rush I would generally try to fly rather than use the train.

There are also loads of other bus operators, I presume the services are much the same.  I have once used a dbahn bus (to katowice) and it was excellent.

For what its worth I would only suggest using busses for direct travel, the arival times have always been approximately correct for my journies but I still wouldnt feel comfortable knowing I only had a few minutes to change.

I'll take the bus then :). Do you know if Flixbus allows buying tickets on the spot? 

I have never done that, but there is normally a special price listed for paying at the bus so presumably it is at least sometimes possible.  Im pretty sure however that it is cheaper and safer (ie you know whether there are still seats available) buying online in advance.

7 minutes ago, apophis said:

Do you know if Flixbus allows buying tickets on the spot? 

Yes they do – and it takes only a minute to gather that information, even in english:

https://www.flixbus.com/service/faq

"How can I pay for my booking?  

Your payment options depend on where you made the booking:

Online booking: direct debit, credit card (Visa or Mastercard), Paypal, Sofortüberweisung and iDEal.
From your bus driver: You will receive a receipt when you book your seat on board. The receipt also serves as the ticket/booking confirmation. Attention: When buying your tickets directly from the bus driver you will always pay the normal price. Saver/discounted tickets are only available when purchasing tickets online or from one of our ticket outlets/travel agencies. It is not yet possible to pay with card on board our buses.
Ticket outlets/travel agencies: All of our agencies offer a variety of payment methods, in any case a cash payment will always be possible.
Via telephone: Credit card (MasterCard/Visa)"

2 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Yes they do – and it takes only a minute to gather that information, even in english:

https://www.flixbus.com/service/faq

"How can I pay for my booking?  

Your payment options depend on where you made the booking:

Online booking: direct debit, credit card (Visa or Mastercard), Paypal, Sofortüberweisung and iDEal.
From your bus driver: You will receive a receipt when you book your seat on board. The receipt also serves as the ticket/booking confirmation. Attention: When buying your tickets directly from the bus driver you will always pay the normal price. Saver/discounted tickets are only available when purchasing tickets online or from one of our ticket outlets/travel agencies. It is not yet possible to pay with card on board our buses.
Ticket outlets/travel agencies: All of our agencies offer a variety of payment methods, in any case a cash payment will always be possible.
Via telephone: Credit card (MasterCard/Visa)"

In my case the process is not that straightforward as:

-- I do not have a printer to print the ticket if I buy it online (and a virtual format such as a bar/QR code are not available)

-- there might not be enough seats available for that bus case in which I'd have to take the train, but the ticket price goes up before departure

Just now, apophis said:

In my case the process is not that straightforward as:

Mh? You were asking whether you can buy tickets on the spot. Yes you can. That information is accessible within a minute, owning a printer or not doesn't matter. Of cause you can only buy a ticket on the spot when there is a seat left.

Someone should really read the FAQs for the bus.  No paper ticket is required

How do I book a ticket?  

The easiest way is to book your trip directly with our app on your smartphone. Your ticket is then simply saved under “My Tickets”, and you can show it on your cell phone when you board. Your ticket will simply be saved under “My Tickets” and you can present it with your phone when boarding. Furthermore, you can be sure that you will the receive best rates, just like when booking on web page. This also means you always get the best price. There are also always exclusive promotions on our app. You simply receive your booking confirmation via email (please also look in your spam folder).

Download the app, buy ticket, show ticket in app to drive, ???, profit (or be on your way). 

Edit:  Also as @Allershausen suggested, simply go to the ZOB in Munich and buy a ticket there, which I'm sure you can do in advance.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

Oh man, what a Besserwisser. First he talks about trains going 200 km/h and then just to make his point he comes with a regional ticket that only includes slow trains and just to make the budget he says it is a "return ticket" when in order to make it as a return ticket you would have to travel the same day.

LoL

I understand that living in a small village of Berlin you can't imagine a regional train going faster than ICE, that's why a "Bessewisser" from Bavaria must be wrong.

Nuremberg-Ingolstadt-Munich route is the only route in Germany where a regional train with Bayern Ticket validity can use ICE tracks and go as fast as 200 kmh. It uses this track only every 2 hours and has some intermediate stops, while ICE trains use it every hour, have only one stop in Ingolstadt and they go 280 kmh (used to be 300 kmh, but reduced for economical reasons).

Plus the OP only said he wanted to go to Nürnberg, not return.

OP lives in Munich, so I pretty much doubt that he doesn't want to return. Return price should taken into account, but fair enough: OP didn't say he want to return the same day.

The Bayern ticket only allows you to take an RE which means changing at Ingolstadt and takes 1hour and 47 minutes.

No chanding, the train is direct. The bus has a maximum speed of 100 kmh and within city limits its maximum speed is 50 kmh. If there are no traffic jams it's still much slower than a train.

3 hours ago, Allershausen said:

Flix bus costs €5 each way

Then fair enough, didn't know that. However, once I checked a trip to Garmisch and it was way more expensive than 5 euro (for NUE-MUC trip).

5 hours ago, yourkeau said:

No chanding, the train is direct. The bus has a maximum speed of 100 kmh and within city limits its maximum speed is 50 kmh. If there are no traffic jams it's still much slower than a train.

The only direct train you can use with a Bayern ticket doesn't leave until 11.05 and still takes 1 hour and 43 minutes. The bus is slower, by about 30 minutes assuming there are no traffic jams. I think you should stop digging that hole.

1 hour ago, Allershausen said:

assuming there are no traffic jams

So, have you ever taken A9 between Munich and Nuremberg?

Train vs. bus, I prefer the train any day because I can get up, walk around, use the toilet, buy food etc. etc.  So the bus can get stuck in traffic but trains can be delayed too.  Comes out the same to me.

I would take the train, but DB customer service have been such dicks that I have been boycotting the shits since 2012, preferring to drive and give rides, get rides, or fly. But, ideally, train travel is king, I think.