Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

American expats visiting the US who own a car: How to insure my car for duration of visit?

3 posts in this topic

Moin! :)

I'm an American expat who moved to Germany two years ago and is (finally!!) planning a 1-month visit to California (my home state) early next year. My car is legally in storage (since 2014) and I have not paid for car insurance since then, nor do I have insurance here in Germany (or a German license for the matter). I would like to use my car during my visit home.

Maybe this is a stupid question---but what do you fellow American expats who are visiting the US + have a car back in the US do when you visit, insurance-wise? Did you keep your car insurance in the US to cover your car, or did you join a German insurance company here in Germany to cover your car in the US + any vehicle you drive here and just use that when you visit?

I did some research about possible solutions: some people say that I should (1) get a regular auto insurance plan and cancel it after my visit is done, (2) get  a "US Touring" Insurance plan that covers the duration of my visit---but it's a little foggy for me if that only applies for expats who want to rent out a car, not use a car that they own...

Thank you for your help, and looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

Why don't you call your old insurance company or the State Motor Vehicles office and ask them?  However it might be cheaper just to rent a car for a month than to go through registration, inspection & insurance.  When you rent through ADAC, they include 100% insurance coverage. 

On 10/16/2016, 4:49:11, rvaldez said:

Moin! :)

I'm an American expat who moved to Germany two years ago and is (finally!!) planning a 1-month visit to California (my home state) early next year. My car is legally in storage (since 2014) and I have not paid for car insurance since then, nor do I have insurance here in Germany (or a German license for the matter). I would like to use my car during my visit home.

Maybe this is a stupid question---but what do you fellow American expats who are visiting the US + have a car back in the US do when you visit, insurance-wise? Did you keep your car insurance in the US to cover your car, or did you join a German insurance company here in Germany to cover your car in the US + any vehicle you drive here and just use that when you visit?

I did some research about possible solutions: some people say that I should (1) get a regular auto insurance plan and cancel it after my visit is done, (2) get  a "US Touring" Insurance plan that covers the duration of my visit---but it's a little foggy for me if that only applies for expats who want to rent out a car, not use a car that they own...

Thank you for your help, and looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

I can't offer much advice, so far I've done the first option (kept a crappy old car with cheap insurance garaged at a family member's place) since the car was so old that it didn't cost much to register and insure.  I've just been hoping that I can keep under the radar and not have this trigger "residence" or "domicile" back home wrt state taxes.  However, my U.S. state driver's license will expire this upcoming summer, and I think renewing it would potentially cause a lot more problems, tax wise, so I think I'll sign the car over to my relatives.  Will your driver's license still be valid?  I know some insurance companies will offer short term insurance plans for cars driven only intermittently (usually applied to high value vehicles with insane insurance rates).  If you haven't acquired a German driver's license before your CA driver's license expires though, you won't have much luck with either insuring the car, nor with renting a car.